Games That Never came to ST.. but SHOULD!

Game requests go here.

Moderators: simonsunnyboy, Mug UK, Doctor Bob Gordon, ICS, Moderator Team

STcomp
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Re: Games That Never came to ST.. but SHOULD!

Postby STcomp » Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:36 pm

Lemmings also got a retro version on the 800 XL as Brundles, 100% exact copy of the original lemmings with exact levels as far as I can tell (about 10 levels in) un freaking beleiveable really! best 8-bit game ever imo . I have an original in my collection with the construction kit. -William

simonsunnyboy

Postby simonsunnyboy » Wed Aug 13, 2008 7:18 am

Nyh wrote:
ppera wrote:But we don't understand collectors - they just want to have everything. Will they use all that, and when... it is other topic :D

Yes, I think you are right. I think most of them want the titles for their collection, not to play with.

But... I still have got the Heartland 2000 game engine. I think we can use it to build a Sonic look alike. If anybody is willing to draw up to 256 16x16 map tiles (animated tiles are possible), make a map using the sprites and draw some new animated characters, I will be happy to spent some time and modify the game engine a bit to make a new game.

Hans Wessels

Asking for graphics is the point where most projects die atm 8O
Simon Sunnyboy/Paradize - http://paradize.atari.org/

Stay cool, stay Atari!

1x2600jr, 1x1040STFm, 1x1040STE 4MB+TOS2.06+SatanDisk, 1xF030 14MB+FPU+NetUS-Bee

jd
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby jd » Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:47 am

Blue Max (c64)

would love to see that.

and of course the joystick destroying hypersports/track and field

ppera

Postby ppera » Wed Aug 13, 2008 1:10 pm

Nyh wrote:But... I still have got the Heartland 2000 game engine. I think we can use it to build a Sonic look alike. If anybody is willing to draw up to 256 16x16 map tiles (animated tiles are possible), make a map using the sprites and draw some new animated characters, I will be happy to spent some time and modify the game engine a bit to make a new game.

Heartland has very nice and fast scroll. Heartland 2000 is engine name for Heartland ? Who coded it ?

bullis1
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby bullis1 » Wed Aug 13, 2008 1:20 pm

ppera wrote:
Nyh wrote:But... I still have got the Heartland 2000 game engine. I think we can use it to build a Sonic look alike. If anybody is willing to draw up to 256 16x16 map tiles (animated tiles are possible), make a map using the sprites and draw some new animated characters, I will be happy to spent some time and modify the game engine a bit to make a new game.

Heartland has very nice and fast scroll. Heartland 2000 is engine name for Heartland ? Who coded it ?

@ppera: Heartland and Heartland 2000 are two different games. See here: http://www.atarilegend.com/games/games_ ... &mono=&pd=

@Nyh: If you give me an image with the 16-colour palette you use in it, I can knock up a handful of tiles if you wish. I liked Heartland 2000 a lot and I was hoping an other game from that team would arrive some day in some form.
Member of the Atari Legend team

christos
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby christos » Wed Aug 13, 2008 1:21 pm

Nyh
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Nyh » Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:49 pm

simonsunnyboy wrote:Asking for graphics is the point where most projects die atm 8O

Well, the only thing I am really good in is writing fast and good code. Someone else has to help with graphics and game maps. Only saing we need new games and then waiting until they pop into existence out of nothing is not going to work.

Hans Wessels

Nyh
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Nyh » Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:59 pm

ppera wrote:Heartland has very nice and fast scroll. Heartland 2000 is engine name for Heartland ? Who coded it ?

I did rewrite the Heartland game with a mix of C and assembler.

The game engine is the heart of the game. You can use it to make other games by supplying new graphics, game maps tile definitions and maybe some small modifications of the game code. For converting Heartland in something like Sonic you have to ad running speed, super running and ultra running to the normal walking mode. The loopings are a bit more tricky.

Hans Wessels

Nyh
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Nyh » Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:09 pm

bullis1 wrote:@Nyh: If you give me an image with the 16-colour palette you use in it, I can knock up a handful of tiles if you wish. I liked Heartland 2000 a lot and I was hoping an other game from that team would arrive some day in some form.

You are free to select a new color palette for you graphics. I included the sprite files and map files used for Heartland 2000.

The map is in STOS .MBK format. If you want to use an other map editor: no problem for me. I have to convert the MBK's to (the 4 MBK's make one map when stitched together).

Hans Wessels
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

insanity
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby insanity » Thu Aug 14, 2008 11:31 am

darklight wrote:I wonder what sonic the hedgehog would look like on an ST?

I remember doing a picture for a menu with Sonic on it... I'll have to dig it out...

baz

bullis1
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby bullis1 » Thu Aug 14, 2008 1:05 pm

Nyh wrote:
bullis1 wrote:@Nyh: If you give me an image with the 16-colour palette you use in it, I can knock up a handful of tiles if you wish. I liked Heartland 2000 a lot and I was hoping an other game from that team would arrive some day in some form.

You are free to select a new color palette for you graphics. I included the sprite files and map files used for Heartland 2000.
The map is in STOS .MBK format. If you want to use an other map editor: no problem for me. I have to convert the MBK's to (the 4 MBK's make one map when stitched together).
Hans Wessels

Thank you for posting these. I'm at work now, but I will take a good look soon and we'll see if I can draw up some nice tiles and sprites. Maybe I'm not up to doing maps, but we'll see.
Member of the Atari Legend team

Stefan jL
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Stefan jL » Sun Aug 17, 2008 5:16 pm

Nyh... how much could you modify the game engine? Maybe for non scrolling levels and such?

I wonder if graphicians from other "scenes" would be intersted in doing graphics for an ST game... i mean there are so many "pixel/retro themed" games done for PC.

mwaawm
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Postby mwaawm » Mon Aug 18, 2008 11:18 pm

nativ wrote:Gridrunner = Centipede + Snake?

Lemmings got a retroversion. on the Spectrum.

Chu Chu Rocket?

? move on from hacking and packing to converting other 68000 code. Then knocking out some originals/quality updates. . . .!

On another note. . . 'evolution dino dudes' was almost overlooked, then got a rebranding and full re-release. hmmm
How about (EDD)Humans ST!

Thanks

Chu Chu Rocket did come out on the ST though
I cant help it if I'm often in doubt but never in the wrong.

darklight
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby darklight » Tue Aug 19, 2008 12:43 am

Is there a tool to convert say .gif to .pi1, or whatever graphic format is needed by the tiles?

If so, it shouldn't be too hard to google for the original sonic (or whatever) tileset images, convert them to a 16 colour pallette on the PC, then convert to pi1. I'd be happy to lend a hand here.
Storm Clouds over the Western Front - my WW1 2D dogfighting game for windows
2D Flight Sims - side scrolling aerial combat games

christos
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby christos » Tue Aug 19, 2008 8:09 am

Try xnview. Very good tool. BTW wasn't there nview (the predecessor) for the ST? Anyone know where to get it?

Champions_2002
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Champions_2002 » Tue Aug 19, 2008 8:50 am

christos wrote:Try xnview. Very good tool. BTW wasn't there nview (the predecessor) for the ST? Anyone know where to get it?

Imagecopy 4 can copy gif to pi1 and other formats
A member of Atarimania ST & 7800 department

Nyh
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Nyh » Tue Aug 19, 2008 10:07 am

Stefan jL wrote:Nyh... how much could you modify the game engine? Maybe for non scrolling levels and such?

No, the game engine dictates a central sprite and scrolling levels. The minimum scrolling step in any direction is four pixels or a multiple of that. The maximum number of tiles is 256. Tiles can be animated. The animation length of all animated tiles should be the same. The size of the game map can be huge. But game map size and number of tiles are limited by the memorysize in a very complex way.

Hans Wessels

darklight
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby darklight » Tue Aug 19, 2008 10:36 am

What are reccomended sprite & tile sizes? Do all tiles have to be the same size / shape?

insanity
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby insanity » Tue Aug 19, 2008 12:04 pm

darklight wrote:If so, it shouldn't be too hard to google for the original sonic (or whatever) tileset images, convert them to a 16 colour pallette on the PC, then convert to pi1. I'd be happy to lend a hand here.

Just had a look at some specs regarding hardware sonic was run on:
Game Gear: 32/4096 colours, 160x144 res,
Master System: 32*/64 colours, 256x(192 or 224) res,
Mega Drive: 32?/512 colours, (256/320)x(224/240) res,

Reducing 32 colours down to 16 shouldn't be a big problem and sprite size seems pretty standard...
Mega Drive graphics look the best obviously, but Master System also look very good although screen
res is slightly smaller... would probably be best using these! :)

Speed might be a problem... dunno was the engine stated above is like...

baz

darklight
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby darklight » Tue Aug 19, 2008 12:16 pm

I've grabbed some master system sprite sheet I found on google, plus some master system & game gear (they use almost the same graphics) - compiling them into one big image in photoshop. This reduces down to 16 images very well - you cannot tell the difference.

Its not complete yet, I still need to find a few more tiles. I'll have it finished by tomorrow.

Stefan jL
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Stefan jL » Sat Aug 30, 2008 4:37 pm

About the effect in Nebulus (rotating tower)... is it difficult to do for the ST? Can it be enhanced in any way? And i don't mean it has to be in 50fps, 25fps is still good and i think thats what Nebulus use.

Desty
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Desty » Sun Aug 31, 2008 1:41 am

StickHead wrote:We don't really have any Japanese style RPGs. I've been playing Final Fantasy III recently and I'm really getting into it. I enjoyed Phantasy Star on the Master System too. It would be great to see something like this! After all, if the Master System and NES could do it, then the ST would have no probs!

That's a really nice idea! Graphics would be tough though... there's a huge difference between FFIII (== FFVI) on the SNES and the games on the NES.
Closest thing I've seen is Fatemaster, which is a lovely little game if you haven't played it before.

On the subject of graphics, it can't be all that hard to get decent results faster with today's techmologifical advances; I'd like to assume that I can sketch in a doodle on my Wacom Bamboo tablet, and use some existing code (or write a script using the many unix conversion utils) on my Mac to dither/rescale the right bits to the format I'd need on the ST.
We've got all these great tools at our disposal - and that includes nicer, easier, more expressive high-level languages like Python and Lisp - so we should use them to quickly throw good content together and have more time left for the heavy-duty coding on the ST.
tá'n poc ar buile!

nativ
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby nativ » Mon Sep 01, 2008 10:14 am

Hi,

Raiden IV, Grand Prix Circuit, Sunset Riders, Power Stone.

Thanks,
Atari STFM 512 / STe 4MB / Mega ST+DSP / Falcon 4MB 16Mhz 68882 - DVD/CDRW/ZIP/DAT - FDI / Jaguar / Lynx 1&2 / 7800 / 2600 / XE 130+SD Card // Sega Dreamcast / Mega2+CD2 // Apple G4

http://soundcloud.com/nativ ~ http://soundcloud.com/nativ-1 ~ http://soundcloud.com/knot_music
http://soundcloud.com/push-sounds ~ http://soundcloud.com/push-records

st dragon
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby st dragon » Tue Sep 23, 2008 3:02 pm

devastators
rastan
jackal/top gunner
a-jax/typhoon
heavy barrel
metal gear
rush n attack/green beret

Mug UK
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mug UK » Tue Sep 23, 2008 4:59 pm

I'd love a decent conversion of Wizball :)
My main site: http://www.mug-uk.co.uk - slowly digging up the bits from my past (and re-working a few): Atari ST, Sega 8-bit (game hacks) and NDS (Music ripping guide).

I develop a free Word (for Windows) add-in that's available for Word 2007 upwards. It's a fix-it toolbox that will allow power Word users to fix document errors. You can find it at: http://www.mikestoolbox.co.uk

Social Media

Return to “Games - Requests”