Falcon on Ebay.DE is it worth it?

Do you need some hardware and/or software? Do you want to clear out the attic? Post your classified ads here. Please use the sub forum if you are posting links to items you've found on ebay.

Moderators: Mug UK, Adrenalin, Moderator Team

DarthWhippet
Atariator
Atariator

Falcon on Ebay.DE is it worth it?

Postby DarthWhippet » Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:34 am

Hi
I am a bit of a noobie round here and i have come accross this Falcon on the German ebay site is it worth the money given the exchange rate here in the UK is terrible?.
or will it go for silly money as seems to be the case on ebay?.

http://cgi.ebay.de/Falcon-030-16MHz-14M ... 240%3A1318
Atari 800XL Ultimate 1MB, Stereo POKEY, SIO2PC-USB
Atari 65XE ( 128KB ), SIO2SD, XC12

jkolak
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Re: Falcon on Ebay.DE is it worth it?

Postby jkolak » Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:25 pm

DarthWhippet wrote:Hi
I am a bit of a noobie round here and i have come accross this Falcon on the German ebay site is it worth the money given the exchange rate here in the UK is terrible?.
or will it go for silly money as seems to be the case on ebay?.

http://cgi.ebay.de/Falcon-030-16MHz-14M ... 240%3A1318

That is certainly the lowest priced Falcon I have seen on ebay in a long time. It may go up (21 hours remaining), but I've seen them generally go for triple that.

DarthWhippet
Atariator
Atariator

Postby DarthWhippet » Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:47 pm

I have been after one of these for a few years now but they always seem to be daft money. I saw that Modded Falcon on ebay last week and it was just unfortunate that i didn't have the money at the time.
They seem to be quite mythical beasts are they backwards compatible with STe's & STFM's?

Chandler
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Chandler » Fri Jan 23, 2009 2:19 pm

German falcons tend to go for a bit less as they come up more often on ebay.de

if you don't mind the german keyboard too

but the fact that you've now mentioned it on this forum will probably mean it will go for at least £1,0000000000000 now

(still maybe not with those funny keys! :wink:

Desty
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Desty » Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:08 pm

Chandler wrote:German falcons tend to go for a bit less as they come up more often on ebay.de

if you don't mind the german keyboard too

but the fact that you've now mentioned it on this forum will probably mean it will go for at least £1,0000000000000 now

Since it's German, we can be sure it will go for at least €1,000000000000000000000000 = €1 :)
tá'n poc ar buile!

DarthWhippet
Atariator
Atariator

Postby DarthWhippet » Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:38 pm

Oooops
Was i supposed to keep quiet about these ???
Sorry guys.
Don't think he will ship to the UK anyway, he hasn't come back to me on that yet?.

jkolak
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby jkolak » Sat Jan 24, 2009 7:41 am

DarthWhippet wrote:They seem to be quite mythical beasts are they backwards compatible with STe's & STFM's?

Not much. Each generation of Atari TOS computers seems to have its own subset of software that only run on that model. I remember just going from TOS 1.0 to 1.2 I lost one of my first games in the first year (1985 to 1986). Falcon does have a program out there called Backwards that helps in some cases, but mostly you need to be sure the program you want to run actually runs on the model you want to buy. Well behaved programs run on all TOS computers, but if they are well-behaved, they run on emulators too. Some programs take advantage of special features available on specific models as well.

coze
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby coze » Sat Jan 24, 2009 8:39 am

he doesn't accept paypal. that's end of the game for me :evil: it amuses me to no end why so many germans are so shy of paypal even if I offer to pay the fees :twisted:

firyembers
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Postby firyembers » Sun Jan 25, 2009 1:02 am

I suggest the reason why the germans don't like paypal is cos they are pissed off at the rip off charges when paying with credit card,last i looked it was at 4% and they are prepared to go without it,good on em i say,about time Paypal got forgot about,i know its nice and easy but at a cost....

I deal reasonably regular with german eBay buys and find the easiest is cash in a registered envelope,aside the postage time works ok
Just my 2 cents worth

coze
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby coze » Sun Jan 25, 2009 5:05 am

what's %4 when you send 100 euros ? 4 euro. that's nothing.

last time I did a bank transfer to germany (amount 90 euro) I have been robbed of frigging 70 euros ! (from Tokyo Mitsubishi bank, others were similar price range, believe me I searched all my options ... citibank was cheaper but you had to have an account which I didn't)

registered mail to europe is along the lines of 10 euros.

I said I PAY for it. send 110 euro. what's the deal ? they're so meaninglessly anal about it :twisted:

Desty
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Desty » Sun Jan 25, 2009 1:11 pm

coze wrote:last time I did a bank transfer to germany (amount 90 euro) I have been robbed of frigging 70 euros !

Jesus, that's extortion. I can't believe you paid that! Would've been cheaper to call a friend in Europe and have them do a very cheap transfer, then pay them back later somehow. Or post cash... :P
tá'n poc ar buile!

thorsten_guenther

Postby thorsten_guenther » Sun Jan 25, 2009 1:31 pm

coze wrote:he doesn't accept paypal. that's end of the game for me :evil: it amuses me to no end why so many germans are so shy of paypal even if I offer to pay the fees :twisted:

That company has very dubios business policies, e.g.: PayPal has blocked some 20 Euros sent to me from Spain for "investigation" in early December and wrote something cryptic about "U.S. banks" (PayPal Europe is in Luxemburg, the buyer is from Spain, and I reside in Germany) . And thankfully, I shipped registered so I could prove I shipped the item (plus I already got positive feedback).

That's why demand the buyer to pay for registered/insured shipping now even for low-cost items if he/she insists on using PayPal.

Thorsten

jkolak
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby jkolak » Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:50 am

thorsten_guenther wrote:That's why demand the buyer to pay for registered/insured shipping now even for low-cost items if he/she insists on using PayPal.

Thorsten

My last job in the US was with the postal service. We had a fair number of regular customers who were regular ebay sellers. Stories I got from them were that Paypal was getting worse and worse about refunding the buyer if they claimed they didn't get the item even if they refused insurance. I often just sent the shipping quote as "insured priority mail is x amount of dollars" and usually they just accepted that without complaint. I did get one or two who asked to recalculate without insurance.

Social Media

Return to “For sale / Wanted”