And now, for something completely different...

No topic. Everything you want to speak about. Please just stay courteous.

Moderators: Mug UK, Silver Surfer, Moderator Team

bripilot
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

And now, for something completely different...

Postby bripilot » Fri Sep 22, 2006 7:42 pm

Hey guys/gals...

I was just curious about what housing costs in the UK. Could someone direct me to a good website to look at houses as well as areas I would want to avoid?

I'd be looking in the £50-60k range...

Not completely serious about buying anything, just kinda curious...
Atarian since 1980

STs: 1040STfm, Falcon 030 w/ 14MB, 10GB internal HD and BlowUp graphics adapter
8bits: 800XL w/ 32-in-1 OS and Supervideo 2.1 Upgrade, Happy 1050, APE (Registered), Commodore 1702 Monitor and PC storage unit

Wish list: MegaSTE, 130XE, 65XEGS

unseenmenace
Atari God
Atari God

Postby unseenmenace » Fri Sep 22, 2006 7:55 pm

You'll be lucky to buy a spot to pitch your tent for that in the South East. You may still be able to buy a flat (appartment) for that kind of money in some areas. It generally gets cheaper the further north you go
UNSEEN MENACE
Several STFM's, 4MB STE, 2MB TT with 1.2GB Hard Drive and 14MB Falcon with 540MB Hard Drive,
Lynx 2 and Jaguar with JagCD
Member of GamebaseST and AtariLegend team
Check out my website at http://unseenmenace.110mb.com

SiR.BenSon
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby SiR.BenSon » Fri Sep 22, 2006 8:06 pm

as unseen said..you'll be lucky to get a bin to sleep in for that much down south..but come to wolverhampton! :D

bripilot
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby bripilot » Fri Sep 22, 2006 8:13 pm

I feel so poor now... hehe... How about websites to check out?
Atarian since 1980

8bits: 800XL w/ 32-in-1 OS and Supervideo 2.1 Upgrade, Happy 1050, APE (Registered), Commodore 1702 Monitor and PC storage unit

unseenmenace
Atari God
Atari God

Postby unseenmenace » Fri Sep 22, 2006 8:19 pm

This looks like a reasonable place to start http://www.propertyfinder.com/
UNSEEN MENACE
Several STFM's, 4MB STE, 2MB TT with 1.2GB Hard Drive and 14MB Falcon with 540MB Hard Drive,
Lynx 2 and Jaguar with JagCD
Member of GamebaseST and AtariLegend team
Check out my website at http://unseenmenace.110mb.com

daeghnao
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Re: And now, for something completely different...

Postby daeghnao » Fri Sep 22, 2006 9:35 pm

bripilot wrote:Hey guys/gals...

I was just curious about what housing costs in the UK. Could someone direct me to a good website to look at houses as well as areas I would want to avoid?

I'd be looking in the £50-60k range...

In the worse bits of Hull, maybe. As a comparison, I'm looking at shelling out at least £130k to get a small terraced house in a non-dire part of York. Which I can't actually afford at the moment, although I get a financial boost at the end of the month that may help out. I need to redo all the sums.

RetroGamerUK
RetroLamerUK
RetroLamerUK

Postby RetroGamerUK » Sat Sep 23, 2006 6:17 pm

This is not a good time to be moving from USA to UK due to the poor exchange rates (52.5p/$) and since the housing prices here have rocketed and continue to do so, and there is little hope of it getting any better, it will never attract many Americans...
The situation is good for Brits planning to move abroad, bad for poor people trying to move here (and therefore good), and bloody great for banks/building societies/estate agents.
The cheapest I have seen property going for in my home Town is about 30k for an ex-Council house (this means the area is full of scum usually), and you can pay over a Million for some property on the "posh" side of Town.

Just out of curiosity Brian, which on earth would you even consider moving to this place?? it really is the arse end of the world.... unless you are loaded and/or a freeloader....
I am not suggesting you are either, just trying to give you an idea of the Country before you make the worst decision of your life ;)

SiR.BenSon
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby SiR.BenSon » Sat Sep 23, 2006 6:26 pm

RetroGamerUK wrote:This is not a good time to be moving from USA to UK due to the poor exchange rates (52.5p/$) and since the housing prices here have rocketed and continue to do so, and there is little hope of it getting any better, it will never attract many Americans...
The situation is good for Brits planning to move abroad, bad for poor people trying to move here (and therefore good), and bloody great for banks/building societies/estate agents.
The cheapest I have seen property going for in my home Town is about 30k for an ex-Council house (this means the area is full of scum usually), and you can pay over a Million for some property on the "posh" side of Town.

Just out of curiosity Brian, which on earth would you even consider moving to this place?? it really is the arse end of the world.... unless you are loaded and/or a freeloader....
I am not suggesting you are either, just trying to give you an idea of the Country before you make the worst decision of your life ;)

at least uk doesnt get many natural disastors :D

prog99
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Postby prog99 » Sat Sep 23, 2006 9:42 pm

4 bedroom house in a nice bit of edinburgh for 140-150k (with garden) if you dont want to stay in a posh/trendy area otherwise at least double that or more.

I sold my old 1 bedroom flat 4 years ago for 83k (15 min walk from city centre). That area seems to have slowed down now as one went recently for not much more.
All my real skills are undervalued

alexh
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby alexh » Sat Sep 23, 2006 10:32 pm

You really have to tell us where in the UK you wanted to live?

In some parts of Scotland 60k would get you a 3-bedroom semi.

In London it wouldnt even get you a one bedroom flat.

RetroGamerUK
RetroLamerUK
RetroLamerUK

Postby RetroGamerUK » Sun Sep 24, 2006 1:52 am

Razor_1911 wrote:at least uk doesnt get many natural disastors :D

Nope, our biggest disaster is that we are too nice.

Scotland (although officially part of the UK) is not at alll the same, they seem to have a good thing going, I lack the details but basically their government seems to like its own indigenous population.
Last edited by RetroGamerUK on Sun Sep 24, 2006 2:12 am, edited 2 times in total.

bripilot
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby bripilot » Sun Sep 24, 2006 1:55 am

RetroGamerUK wrote:Just out of curiosity Brian, which on earth would you even consider moving to this place?? it really is the arse end of the world.... unless you are loaded and/or a freeloader....

Honestly, like I said, I was simply curious... I know my wife will never leave Kansas as long as her parents are alive (They're in their 70's now) but I've often given thought to moving to Europe... Germany, UK, France... doesn't really matter where. Just somewhere besides Kansas.
Atarian since 1980

RetroGamerUK
RetroLamerUK
RetroLamerUK

Postby RetroGamerUK » Sun Sep 24, 2006 1:57 am

Well good luck to you Brian, but if you ever did move to England I can assure you that you would be saying quite a lot more than "We are not in Kansas any more".

Social Media

Return to “Chat forum [ENG]”