Cases of Dirt

No topic. Everything you want to speak about. Please just stay courteous.

Moderators: Mug UK, Silver Surfer, Moderator Team

daeghnao
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Cases of Dirt

Postby daeghnao » Fri Jan 20, 2006 10:13 am

So, having cleaned up an Atari STE recently, I get to wondering... how dirty do all your computers get, how much care do you take of them, and how often do they get cleaned? I have this mental image of a bunch of grubby blokes smearing greasy fingers over their computers, surely this can't be true? Has anyone gone to the lengths of using a dust cover of some kind?

Mug UK
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mug UK » Fri Jan 20, 2006 10:23 am

No dust cover but it does live inside a cupboard in the bedroom so it's kept away from any other dust (other than what was already in the cupboard!)
My main site: http://www.mug-uk.co.uk - slowly digging up the bits from my past (and re-working a few): Atari ST, Sega 8-bit (game hacks) and NDS (Music ripping guide).

I develop a free Word (for Windows) add-in that's available for Word 2007 upwards. It's a fix-it toolbox that will allow power Word users to fix document errors. You can find it at: http://www.mikestoolbox.co.uk

keili
Atari God
Atari God

Postby keili » Fri Jan 20, 2006 11:48 am

I never had a cover for my ST in the old days. But i removed the srews for one or the other soldering and cleaned the board frequently.
The Apple IIsi, i bought last year was full of dust, i even couldn't insert a disk.
I clean my PC frequently to keep at least the fans in working condition.
TI 99/4A, C64, 800XL, 260ST, 520ST, 520ST+, 1040ST, 1040 STE, Mega ST1, Mega ST2, Mega STe, Apple IIsi

Sarek
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Sarek » Sat Jan 21, 2006 11:44 am

I have this mental image of a bunch of grubby blokes smearing greasy fingers over their computers

tut tut... fancy stereotyping us.

But interestingly I do have a similar mental image of a bunch of women harbouring cleaning fetishes endowing their computers with little pots of pot-pouri and smearing Olay over their keyboards...

so I guess were not that dissimilar :lol:

MSueper
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby MSueper » Sat Jan 21, 2006 4:55 pm

Hello,
most modern keyborads consist of two parts:
a) lower part with electronic
b) upper part with the keys

The keybord can simply be opened and the upper part can be cleaned with water in and brushes.After this, wait until it gets dry (or make it dry with kitchen paper or so). The keyboard will be as clean as it can be... Never wash the complete keyboard!

Greetings, Martin

christos
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby christos » Sat Jan 21, 2006 6:11 pm

The strangest think I found whilst cleaning my keyboard was hair among the keys. They most definetely couldn't have come from me!

manicx
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby manicx » Mon Jan 23, 2006 8:08 am

I used to cover my ST in the old days. I got a cover from the shop I bought it and funny thing is that I still have it.

Even today, I do take care of them. I used air spray to clean the dust and I have a cleaning cloth from fibre (I got a few for my electric guitar and have one for my computers too) as they prevent the dust from going back and they are very delicate.

I also have a wee brush to clean the keyboard before using the spray. For my new gear aka PC, I shoot people if they touch my TFT! :evil:

Mug UK
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mug UK » Mon Jan 23, 2006 9:40 am

Just looking up the word "clean" .. nope, not in my dictionary :)

Although I'm the same with my TFT monitor .. if there's any fingerprints on it then they should only be mine and mine only.
My main site: http://www.mug-uk.co.uk - slowly digging up the bits from my past (and re-working a few): Atari ST, Sega 8-bit (game hacks) and NDS (Music ripping guide).

I develop a free Word (for Windows) add-in that's available for Word 2007 upwards. It's a fix-it toolbox that will allow power Word users to fix document errors. You can find it at: http://www.mikestoolbox.co.uk

Goldrunner
Guardian of the PaST
Guardian of the PaST

Postby Goldrunner » Mon Jan 23, 2006 12:15 pm

The one thing I hate about TFT's is that they seem so delicate, I mean with a CRT you could press really hard with a cloth to get rid of blasted fingers marks. With a TFT you too scared to apply pressure because you can see liquid moving as you clean it.

daeghnao
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby daeghnao » Mon Jan 23, 2006 12:55 pm

I actually ended up using a gentle cosmetic wipe on my work monitor, as I happened to have some with me. Doesn't seem to have done any damage, and I didn't have to rub hard. Of course, I've no idea if the substances in such wipes are damaging to TFTs, so I would hesitate to recommend this without some further research.

Mug UK
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mug UK » Mon Jan 23, 2006 1:14 pm

Likelihood of any bloke having cosmetic wipes on him are very slim.

Maybe this tissue left over from this mornings ham & cheese ciabatta will do :)

Sarek
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Sarek » Mon Jan 23, 2006 7:25 pm

TFTs: Just like LCD displays on calculators, the liquid can be squidged around to some extent around without damage. I don't recommend trying it though.

As for chemicals damaging to the screen : Plastic is porous to many solvents and I wouldn't like the idea of any chemicals getting in. Most likely common solvent to damage plastics in my experience are ketones (acetone and propanone) and esters. So I wouldn't recommend trying any substance with these in. Personally, I'm quite happy with the cleaning power of a teatowel and breath.

As for getting fluff out of my keyboard, I use my credit card slid inbetween the keys. Works perfectly and avoids taking the keyboard to bits.

My only dust cover I keep over my laser printer. It needs it or else I have hairs and spots reproduced on my pages every 15cm!

Social Media

Return to “Chat forum [ENG]”