‪Maplin Electronics in administration‬

No topic. Everything you want to speak about. Please just stay courteous.

Moderators: Mug UK, Silver Surfer, Moderator Team

1024MAK
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

‪Maplin Electronics in administration‬

Postby 1024MAK » Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:38 pm

The U.K. electronics chain and supplier, Maplin Electronics is now in administration.

Story on The Register

Maplin are still trading as normal, as the administrators are trying to sell it as a going concern.

Mark
Falcon, Atari 520STFM, Atari 1040STE, more PC's than I care to count and an assortment of 8 bit micros (nearly forgot the Psion's)

mlynn1974
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Re: ‪Maplin Electronicss in administration‬

Postby mlynn1974 » Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:43 pm

It's a real shame because the staff are very knowledgeable.
I was in a store 2 weeks ago and the electronics parts counter was closed. I was looking for a figure of 8 cable, but they had none in stock. At least at Maplins you know you will get a quality item unlike the random quality of buying a charger or cable from eBay or Amazon.
Toys'r'us are also in administration.
Still got, still working: Atari 4Mb STe, 520STFM, 2.5Mb STF.
Hardware: Cumana CSA 354, Ultimate Ripper, Blitz Turbo, Synchro Express II (US and UK Versions).

catmando
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Re: ‪Maplin Electronics in administration‬

Postby catmando » Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:41 pm

Can't say I'm surprised, I went there less and less and bought less and less as they began dumbing down their offering over a number of years.
Atari Falcon Tos 4.04 | 14mb | IDE CF 2GB
Atari STE Tos 1.62 | 4mb | HxC Slim SD 8GB
Atari STE Tos 1.62/2.06 | 4mb | Floppy A-B Mod | IDE SD 4GB
Atari STFM
Android Devices (Running Hataroid and SToid)

Atari Forum Wiki - Use it before asking

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby wongck » Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:56 pm

Oh sad, I remember this name.
A school mate of mine was a big fan of Maplin and he gets loads of electronic DIY kits from them.
His room was like a workshop.
My Stuff: FB/Falcon CT63/CTPCI+ATI+RTL8139+USB 512MB 30GB HDD CF HxC_SD/ TT030 68882 4+32MB 520MB Nova/ 520STFM 4MB Tos206 SCSI
Shared SCSI Bus:ScsiLink ethernet, 9GB HDD,SD-reader @ http://phsw.atari.org
My Atari stuff for sale - click here for list

1024MAK
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby 1024MAK » Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:14 pm

I bought loads of stuff from Maplin before they got bought out the first time. At first, by mail order or by phone. Then by their dial-up modem link service. That was fun. Then with their first internet site.

Then they opened a shop in the nearest city to me. So I could go and see what the non-component items looked like.

Around five years later, they had three stores in the nearest city to me.

Then they started to become less useful. Instead being more of a box shifting company.

But when buying plastic or one of the limited range of metal cases that were sold in store, I found that much easier than ordering online and playing guess if it will fit, measure with a ruler, then compare dimensions. Then go for a final guesstimate and order...

Same with buying some types of switches or buttons.

Now, their website is rather more difficult to use. The search function is poor. The prices in store for components and parts are not attractive.

But some items are still priced okay (some tools for example, at least, when I last bought a tool a while ago).

Not been to a Maplin store this year, but did buy some plastic cases in December last year.

Mark
Falcon, Atari 520STFM, Atari 1040STE, more PC's than I care to count and an assortment of 8 bit micros (nearly forgot the Psion's)

1024MAK
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby 1024MAK » Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:20 pm

wongck wrote:Oh sad, I remember this name.
A school mate of mine was a big fan of Maplin and he gets loads of electronic DIY kits from them.
His room was like a workshop.

Alas, Maplin stopped designing their own kits many years ago, then then discontinued their own Electronics magazine :(

They did supply some Velleman kits when I last went looking a few years ago.

Mark

Foxie
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Foxie » Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:44 pm

Does anyone remember Tandy? Back before there were Maplin stores everywhere, they used to be my go-to place for picking up the odd component at short notice. Terrible prices, but at least they had some basic stuff in stock.

Over the years, their component section shrank further and further. They eventually became little more than a generic gadget retailer like Dixons. And at that point, how can they compete? I think Carphone Warehouse ended up buying them.

Well, it seems Maplin went the same way. They were the source of almost all my components back in the 90s. You could get literally everything you needed from there, and the catalogues were so detailed. Practically every part had a detailed pinout listed, and you could order datasheets through them. But then with the expansion of their retail stores, they seemed to focus more and more on shifting boxes than components. When their Brighton store first opened, there was practically nothing there other than some desks with catalogues where you could order components. Then it gradually got taken over with gadgets.

These days, I'm not sure what role they play. Almost everything is available online for a fraction of the cost. I do occasionally use them for picking up the occasional cable at short notice, but it's been probably 20 years since I bought any components there. These days, places like RS and Farnell have a massive range at a very reasonable price. I seem to recall in the 90s it was tricky to order from them if you weren't a business, but nowadays no problem.

One thing you must never do is buy chargers from eBay or Amazon! These are the sorts of products you'll find on those sites: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Hdn0MuCK_0

Yes, that's a direct connection from mains to 0V! So many people have been killed by eBay power supplies. You can get name brand chargers from RS at an acceptable cost, and I'd tend to trust RS as a source more than most discount places online. For example, this one is half the cost of an Apple charger, and has considerably better regulation (4.75 - 5.25V, versus 4.4 - 5.25V for the iPhone charger): https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/plug-in- ... y/7361658/

1024MAK
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby 1024MAK » Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:00 pm

Ahh, a Big Clive fan, same as me :lol:

Mark

catmando
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby catmando » Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:10 pm

After visiting a couple of maplin stores over the past few weeks it's easy to see their stock mis-management judging by the excess number of metal detectors and ladder benches each store seems to have. Woolworths was the same with ironing boards.
Atari Falcon Tos 4.04 | 14mb | IDE CF 2GB
Atari STE Tos 1.62 | 4mb | HxC Slim SD 8GB
Atari STE Tos 1.62/2.06 | 4mb | Floppy A-B Mod | IDE SD 4GB
Atari STFM
Android Devices (Running Hataroid and SToid)

Atari Forum Wiki - Use it before asking

Social Media

Return to “Chat forum [ENG]”