Surviving STs

No topic. Everything you want to speak about. Please just stay courteous.

Moderators: Mug UK, Silver Surfer, Moderator Team

Miguel
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Re: Surviving STs

Postby Miguel » Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:35 am

Yeah a lot of cats are holding onto them and perhaps a few spare ones.

Wayne123
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby Wayne123 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:17 am

Foxie wrote:

Is that how much Falcons are going for these days? I remember them selling for about £500 not too long ago. I reckon you could find a TT for less than that, if you could actually find one at all. Another saving with the TT is that you can use the video output in high-res mode. A Falcon needs a Supervidel to get any decent work done on it.

I think the last few Falcons I saw on Ebay went for $1200 -$1500 range, TT030s, I can't remember the last time I saw one on Ebay.
That is quite a bit more than my Amiga 2000 Video Toaster setup cost me and it has a combo Ram/SCSI/68040 card, a Video Toaster card and a scan doubler card in it. It is just a Toy, I can do most of what the Video Toaster can do with Open Source software on my PC like OBS Studio.

I have a HP Z420 workstation I got for $150 at a local auction with an 8 core CPU, a HD capture card and a 10TB storage Array, it can do real video work if I ever need to.

The MiSt FPGA is what got me interested in playing with real hardware again, before I retired I was so busy that I never had time to even think about old computers, my job left me almost no free time. Now that I am retired I can't go crazy on spending although sometimes I am tempted.
1040 STF, MiST, FPGA Arcade, plus Amigas, NeXT and some PPC Macs.

Foxie
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Foxie » Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:59 pm

Wayne123 wrote: I think the last few Falcons I saw on Ebay went for $1200 -$1500 range,

Wow, that's quite a bit. I'm not sure I could ever justify buying one at that price. Especially since I'd want to add Supervidel, 060, and an external DSP to ADAT converter for audio. That would really add up to a fortune.

Wayne123 wrote:That is quite a bit more than my Amiga 2000 Video Toaster setup cost me and it has a combo Ram/SCSI/68040 card,

That's one of the reasons I'm curious about the EmuTOS port to the Amiga, and perhaps also MiNT. Lots of potential for running cleanly-written software at high speeds relatively cheaply. If I make my own sequencer, I'll make sure it runs on EmuTOS for Amiga too.

That said, with MegaSTEs going for a reasonable price they're quite high-spec if you add a video card. Has anyone tried to overclock the MegaSTE I wonder? The cache should make it easier to do since you're not overclocking the entire bus.

Wayne123 wrote:The MiSt FPGA is what got me interested in playing with real hardware again,

Do you know if the MiSt features any enhancements like higher resolution or a faster CPU? Or is it a straight 1:1 copy of an ST? I'd love a machine that could run at 16-32MHz to make GEM more responsive, and also go down to 8MHz for sync lock code.

Dal
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Dal » Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:24 pm

MiST does have a STEroids mode which runs the machine accelerated.
Mega"SST" 12, MegaSTE, STE: Desktopper case, IDE interface, UltraSatan (8GB + 512Mb) + HXC floppy emulator. Plus some STE's/STFM's

Wayne123
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby Wayne123 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:11 pm

MiST also has a high rez SM194 compatible mode, I have not used it though.
1040 STF, MiST, FPGA Arcade, plus Amigas, NeXT and some PPC Macs.

Foxie
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Foxie » Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:22 pm

Dal wrote:MiST does have a STEroids mode which runs the machine accelerated.

Do you know if there's any way of getting higher resolution graphics out of it? Even if it means hooking up an ISA video card somehow? To have support for TT high would be a killer feature.

joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby joska » Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:40 pm

As Wayne123 points out, it has a SM194 mode (1280x960) and also 1280x1024. Monochrome only.
Jo Even

Firebee - Falcon060 - Milan060 - Falcon040 - MIST - Mega ST - STM - STE - Amiga 600 - Sharp MZ700 - MSX - Amstrad CPC - C64

Foxie
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Foxie » Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:36 pm

joska wrote:As Wayne123 points out, it has a SM194 mode (1280x960) and also 1280x1024. Monochrome only.

Oh, that's fantastic! Presumably it will play nice with LCDs too unlike the real TT high with its weird squashed screen.

I'm having a bit of difficulty finding any hard details about the board - the Firebee seems to be better documented. I've seen a version with MIDI mentioned, but the board pics I've seen don't have MIDI or anything else for that matter. Does the current version have legacy ports like printer, modem and cartridge? Those are completely critical for music and a lot of other serious software. I believe the Firebee has all three, but the Coldfire CPU causes some compatibility problems with music software.

Social Media

Return to “Chat forum [ENG]”