'communication problem with people'

No topic. Everything you want to speak about. Please just stay courteous.

Moderators: Mug UK, Silver Surfer, Moderator Team

AtariZoll
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Re: 'communication problem with people'

Postby AtariZoll » Sat Dec 02, 2017 12:13 pm

Frank B wrote:There are two billion active android devices out there and one billion iOS devices. Windows desktop is going the way of windows phone. It can't compete on cost with a cheap tablet for basic user needs. EG facebook, ebay etc etc. I give it five years to drop off the face of the earth. There's a good reason Intel want out and Microsoft are going all in on cloud services. A good tablet port of Hatari is far more interesting than windows. At least for me :)

No wonder that there is so much android device around. Myself have 2. But using them actively for some emulator like Hatari, or even for some serious WEB browsing ? That happens not in my case. Just not good for it. I got phablet just because my mobile was very old, so lets get something with SCREEN, instead that, good only to print some txt and check roughly what you photoing. 7 inch tablet fits in my pocket, was good to look some PDFs at work and like. But it is not quality device, phone part was weak, screen was not that good ... I seen 5 inch smartphone with then latest android, very good screen - more res than on that bigger one, good contrast, and good price. It works well, except that I needed to solve problem with more and more incoming ads, malware and other crap. I even have thread about it on this forum. The solution against was actually simple: NoRoot Firewall. Indeed, the good price was partially because build in support in their mod of Android for pushing ads, and that was programmed in way that did not bother in first couple months, and then more and more - until point that phone became unusable practically. So, those are my experiences with Android devices. Basically, I use them mostly as phone, little for looking some dedicated channels about sport - special smartphone channels, making photos and like. Very little Internet access. No gaming, no emulators, only tried some.

I agree that M$ makes bad decisions, changes in bad direction. That smartphone look is just terrible on bigger monitor and looks cheap. Almost as some graphic from 1987 :D I'm who wants that some more competent company dominate desktop OS market. But I don't expect that they will fall. At least not in next 10 years.

Good tablet port of Hatari ? We have so far one, as I know - Hataroid. It is pretty much well done. Considering bad input on devices. I mean bad input for that purpose. Did not check is recently updated, but something is not clear for me - why tapping on screen, where is some drive icon for instance not simulates left click - instead there is LB in edge to tap. That spoiles fun of emulation significantly.

Basic user needs ? That varies a lot. We must be aware, that retro computing and emulation is not so spread. And Atari retro is smart part of it.
Famous Schrodinger's cat hypothetical experiment says that cat is dead or alive until we open box and see condition of poor animal, which deserved better logic. Cat is always in some certain state - regardless from is observer able or not to see what the state is.

darklight
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby darklight » Sat Dec 02, 2017 12:23 pm

Are most people more interested in emulating Atari on mobile, rather than desktop? I cant say I am, but perhaps I am of the previous generation...
Storm Clouds over the Western Front - my WW1 2D dogfighting game for windows
2D Flight Sims - side scrolling aerial combat games

joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby joska » Sat Dec 02, 2017 12:45 pm

AtariZoll wrote:Well, as usual everyone coming with arguments what will prove his right. Unfortunately, some are just forced often.
Android is Linux ? I don't think so. It may be Linux based. but user interface is totally different.

And what's a "Linux" user interface? ;) Android is yet another framework and a GUI running on top of Linux. Take a look at Remix OS, which is running Android apps but at the same time very similar to e.g. Ubuntu or other desktop computer GUI's.

https://developer.android.com/guide/platform/

Frank B wrote:A good tablet port of Hatari is far more interesting than windows. At least for me

I don't think that view is very common. Mostly because it's completely pointless to emulate a real computer on a device with no keyboard.

I agree that Windows as we know it today will disappear within few years. But the personal computer - a device with a keyboard and monitor - will not. While you don't need a keyboard to consume, you need one to produce.
Jo Even

Firebee - Falcon060 - Milan060 - Falcon040 - MIST - Mega ST - STM - STE - Amiga 600 - Sharp MZ700 - MSX - Amstrad CPC - C64

AtariZoll
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby AtariZoll » Sat Dec 02, 2017 1:03 pm

Linux has indeed much better filesystem than old, DOS, actually even preDOS - CPM based, 'drive' letter - actually partition letter based one. And that is Unix based. So, idea was even not from Linux developers - they just gave free alternative. So, basically, Android, and some others use free Linux sources for some basic parts of OS. Still don't see it as Linux .
Hmm, I need to try that Remix OS - I like mixed booz :D
Famous Schrodinger's cat hypothetical experiment says that cat is dead or alive until we open box and see condition of poor animal, which deserved better logic. Cat is always in some certain state - regardless from is observer able or not to see what the state is.

Rustynutt
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Rustynutt » Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:47 am

AtariZoll wrote:
Rustynutt wrote:Can you imagine, on "other" forums, members get chastised for "reviving" an old thread. Hell, I thought that one of the main points of belonging to a forum :)

OK, let's see what "chastised" (never heard it before) means ... Got it.
Can you imagine, that thread is 'old' - some 4 days :lol:
I always 'enjoy' when people jumps in without taking even minimal effort to see what about all it is :shrug:

Not sure about jumping in, but surely have gotten lost in this thread :)
Actually, if you could have read my mind, which you should have been able to do, you would have realize the thread I was thinking about was "revived" after 4 some odd years. IMHO, I didn't see an issue with that.
Yes, being chastised is different than having sarcasm thrown at you :)

AtariZoll
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby AtariZoll » Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:19 am

Rustynutt wrote:...
Not sure about jumping in, but surely have gotten lost in this thread :)
Actually, if you could have read my mind, which you should have been able to do, you would have realize the thread I was thinking about was "revived" after 4 some odd years. IMHO, I didn't see an issue with that.
Yes, being chastised is different than having sarcasm thrown at you :)

I think that this is very good example of real communication problem, where we even can see why people don't understand each other.
Usual explanation I seen is language problem. That problem indeed exists, but that's the easier part - if you don't understand or misinterpret it can be fixed by looking dictionary, by more talk and clarification. Probably the key word is patience.
In talk with Rustynutt I did not understand one word at all - solved in 30 secs. There was other not exactly known for me, but I guessed well what it means. And now I'm more sure than ever that I don't have clue what is his point and how it is related with communication problems.
As I see, he just gave some example what is actually known thing: in many forums there is notification at bottom of thread that there is no post over longer time, so maybe better to start new one, or like ... Really, what that has with communication problems ?
I'm asking it only because others here. I read his mind, so I know the answer, but I like to help people more than self :lol:

Social Media

Return to “Chat forum [ENG]”