Anybody remember this?

No topic. Everything you want to speak about. Please just stay courteous.

Moderators: Mug UK, Silver Surfer, Moderator Team

Hazzardus
Atari freak
Atari freak

Anybody remember this?

Postby Hazzardus » Sat Jul 29, 2017 7:54 am

Back in (I think...) 1997 there was a members only cash and carry called Makro in the UK, and for a brief period of time they were selling brand new Atari Jaguars for £25 (VAT extra) with an extra controller, Cannon Fodder, Wolfenstein 3D, Missile Command 3D and a carry case, all taped together as one big lump of boxes. Limited to 1 per customer. Was around the time The Saturn and Playstation were becoming huge. I remember clearly that they had a demo Jag running for so long it burned the title screen of Wolf 3D into the TV too lol.

I grabbed about 5 in the end, because they were there for literally months, and there was so many of them.

They also had the original big Atari Lynx with California Games, Chips Challenge, Toki and the big grey carry case literally bundled together with packing tape for £10+ Vat. I grabbed a few of those too, because I had originally bought the same model Lynx back in 1991, but since given it to my younger cousin.

Still got both of them. One is still sealed, the other one is so well used it's pretty much white plastic everywhere apart from the screen.

Still got 2 Jags to this day, again one is still sealed. Rest went on eBay in the late 90's, early 2000's.

Anyone else from the UK remember this? For some reason Makro also used to have tons of big box Atari ST games, all brand new sealed for like £1 each too during this time, I'm guessing they just bought a ton of Atari Stuff from somewhere for pennies around this time, because the ST had been gone from most game shops since around 1993-4 at the time, and the Jag was dead in the water over here by then too. It was all PC or PSX for most people. Grabbed so many good games from there, Speedball 2, Magic Pockets, NightBreed, The Zack and Indy Lucasarts bundle, Robocop 3, etc. All £1 each.

They also had literally dozens of Batman Returns for Lynx, and Super Burnout and Kasumi Ninja for Jag all priced at £1 too.

Was so weird to see it there of all places, and especially because it was all Atari Stuff, they didn't have any Amiga overstock there at all.

Atarieterno
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Re: Anybody remember this?

Postby Atarieterno » Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:25 am

That level is spectacular, in Spain I have not known that "liquidation" of Atari stocks. The most similar was the last sale of Jaguar in some stores that put a low price. At that time I was preparing my house to get married and I did not have the money to buy a Jaguar (I spent everything on Falcon and then MKX).
ST/fm/e, STacy, Mega ST/e, TT, Falcon, C-Lab MKX... and more music tools.

spiny
Disk Imager Supreme
Disk Imager Supreme

Postby spiny » Sat Jul 29, 2017 11:34 am

yeah, I got a load from a stall at the stafford computer show around the same time - jags for 25, lynxs for 15 I think. All still boxed in my loft :)

the Lynxs were the 'Batman' bundled ones, but without the actual Batman game for some reason.

EmpireAndrew
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby EmpireAndrew » Sat Jul 29, 2017 12:07 pm

I bought a Jaguar brand new from Game in the early 2000s.
Was cheap but not quite that cheap.
Sold it on a few years later...
1977 VCS Heavy Sixxer (Boxed)
1990 Atari 1040STE, 4MB, UltraSatan, TOS 2.06, TT Touch -> Atari SC1435 Colour CRT Monitor
1991 Atari TT030, 2/64MB, Int 8GB Gigafile SCSI2CF, TOS 3.06, CaTTamaran Accelerator -> Atari TTM195 19" Mono CRT Monitor
1993 Atari Falcon030, 14MB, Int 4GB IDE2SD, TOS 4.04 -> Atari PTC1426 Color CRT Monitor
Amiga, Mac, DOS, Newton, SGI, Sun, NeXTStation and more!

alexh
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby alexh » Sat Jul 29, 2017 1:47 pm

1999 Game did the same. They did a retrogaming promotion. I think they bought stock from Telegames? Boxed Jaguars were about £25 and games and pads were £10. I bought two jag pads. Wish I had bought more but I was living in a 1 bed flat

Hazzardus
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby Hazzardus » Sat Jul 29, 2017 2:55 pm

spiny wrote:yeah, I got a load from a stall at the stafford computer show around the same time - jags for 25, lynxs for 15 I think. All still boxed in my loft :)

the Lynxs were the 'Batman' bundled ones, but without the actual Batman game for some reason.

The Makro I'm remembering was the one in Stoke. Maybe the guy you bought from the computer show had got a deal from that Makro, It wasn't far away?

Were the Batman Lynxes the Lynx 2 in the big double folded cardboard retail boxes? I got a few of those at the Birmingham Motorcycle Museum Computer Fair around the same time for £15 and they were without the Batman game inside too. Was weird because apart from that they were for all intents "brand new". Luckily I grabbed a good few of the Batman Returns at Makro for £1, even though it has to be without a doubt the hardest, shittiest most unfair game I ever played.

The Lynxes at Makro though were the original big version, in the white box, with California Games as the Pack-in game. California games was inside all of them that I bought there. My first Lynx cost me $199 AUS Dollars in around 1991, so about £85 then, because the exchange rate was so good. It was still £199 in the UK at that time. Although the AUS one didn't have California Games with it, I had to get the games separate. I got Toki, Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure and Chip's Challenge to go with it.

MAND

Best level ever on Chip's Challenge. Jeff Minter in one of his interviews about the new lynx hardware in ST Format let that easter egg slip as far as I was concerned. I'd been messing around with fractal generators on the ST before that, and I was blown away at how fast it was compared to the ST fractal routines I'd been using.

spiny
Disk Imager Supreme
Disk Imager Supreme

Postby spiny » Sat Jul 29, 2017 8:08 pm

yes, the Batman packaging was for the Lynx2.

I also bought a few spare power supplies at the same time, which have proved very handy as they happily power Satandisk and Ultrasatan devices too, so nice to have an Atari branded PSU :D

AtariZoll
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby AtariZoll » Sun Jul 30, 2017 6:20 am

Well, I don't remember anything from it - no wonder, I was not in England those times :D
Actually, I barely remember that that there was '64-bit' Jaguar sold in those years.
All this indicates that things were not right by Atari in 90-es.
Can I get some of those (still boxed) Jaguars for some 50 Euros ?
There is way to stop global warming.

mlynn1974
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Postby mlynn1974 » Sun Jul 30, 2017 11:18 am

My mate at Uni's mum worked at Makro in Hillington near Glasgow at that time and I seem to remember some incredible deal. I think someone in our year getting one, and my neighbour got a Jaguar with Doom at that time. I had to go in to tune it into their telly.
Still got, still working: Atari 4Mb STe, 520STFM, 2.5Mb STF.
Hardware: Cumana CSA 354, Ultimate Ripper, Blitz Turbo, Synchro Express II (US and UK Versions).

Social Media

Return to “Chat forum [ENG]”