Very stoopid things on smartphone

No topic. Everything you want to speak about. Please just stay courteous.

Moderators: Mug UK, Silver Surfer, Moderator Team

AtariZoll
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Very stoopid things on smartphone

Postby AtariZoll » Fri May 05, 2017 7:33 am

I bought smartphone with Android 6 few months ago, and at very first starting of it I getting ads in very bad moments (viber right in middle of starting "desktop"). But they will put ad in middle of TV watching, at every 2-nd, 3-rd start of some app. In so annoying way, that you need often 2-3 actions to deactivate it. I'm sure that 90% of people react on such advertising like: seriously ? You think that I will buy anything from you ever after you spoiling my activities on device ? Shortly, they spend lot of money in counterproductive advertising. And all this is well known, that such pushy advertising is not good, and still there is lot of it, even from some known companies. Are they really so stoopid, or there is people what can be motivated in such way to buy something ?
Famous Schrodinger's cat hypothetical experiment says that cat is dead or alive until we open box and see condition of poor animal, which deserved better logic. Cat is always in some certain state - regardless from is observer able or not to see what the state is.

spiny
Disk Imager Supreme
Disk Imager Supreme

Re: Very stoopid things on smartphone

Postby spiny » Fri May 05, 2017 11:08 am

root it and put your own ROM on it.

AtariZoll
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby AtariZoll » Sat May 06, 2017 9:53 am

spiny wrote:root it and put your own ROM on it.

Sure. But I'm in big dilemma: TOS 1.04 or 2.06 ? First is better for online gaming, while second is better for financial transactions.
So, until I resolve that dilemma, I could look for some anti ad APP, or some guide how to get rid of them. But I will let it as is for some time. I'm really curious how far idiocy can go.
Famous Schrodinger's cat hypothetical experiment says that cat is dead or alive until we open box and see condition of poor animal, which deserved better logic. Cat is always in some certain state - regardless from is observer able or not to see what the state is.

spiny
Disk Imager Supreme
Disk Imager Supreme

Postby spiny » Sat May 06, 2017 4:25 pm

the anti ad apps that work need root, and any guide on how to remove the bundled crapware that ships with operator branded phones will say to root your phone :)

Frank B
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Frank B » Sat May 06, 2017 10:26 pm

Android experience is variable from OEM to OEM. I'd recommend buying only nexus or pixel devices. That cuts down the chances of the OEM screwing the user experience up.
I'd install adblock browser if you don't want to root your device. iOS with content blockers has provided a better experience than any android device I've used.

AtariZoll
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby AtariZoll » Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:18 pm

After couple months: It is not browser where ADs pop up. They pop up everywhere, any time. First thing I saw when Android 6 started for first time was Viber AD, so right in moment when Desktop started. But in first 3 months there was not much of ADs. Now I'm sure that most of it came with some freeware SW I installed.
But there is lot of it to blame on Google. Whole OS is made to support this type of advertising. They write good about APD News, while it is last thing I will ever install, after so much annoying. Their last ADs can not be just closed - pressing X will start installer. No other way to remove from screen. Fortunately, I disabled install before it, so it never installed. And will never for me.
I wonder how all this on Google OS, who became what is by not being offensive with ADs in his search pages. To add, that there is lot of settings on Google page related with which ADs user prefers and like. Of course option to disable all 'em is missing.
I agree that all it may depend from phone manufacturer too - since he is who puts Android together for its phone.
Still, main point is that nobody has any good from such way of advertising. Except competition ?

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby wongck » Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:23 am

I don't think it is Android issue because even on the iphone this happens as well especially nowadays with all those in-app purchases concept.

I have seen ad just takes over entire screen and force video to play for 15 seconds with no cancel button until the end of the video.
My friend said, mobile data is being used to download the video and it is different most time so no caching.
This AD will be gone if one purchase the in-app purchase option of full version (i.e. advertisement removed version).

Funny thing is I used my Android for over 5 years now, and I do not get this type of ad (or so rarely that I do not remember).
My Stuff: FB/Falcon CT63+CTPCI_ATI_RTL8139 14+512MB 30GB HDD CF HxC_SD/ TT030 68882 4+32MB 520MB Nova/ 520STFM 4MB Tos206 SCSI
Shared SCSI Bus:ScsiLink ethernet, 9GB HDD,SD-reader @ http://phsw.atari.org
My Atari stuff for sale - click here for list

farvardin
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby farvardin » Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:08 am

I've had android smartphone since beginning of Android (I got the HTC Dream, the first android smartphone), and since then I got 4 different phones and a few tablet, and I've never encountered those annoying ads. Most of my device are rooted. The only ads I can encounter is in some "free" apps (free games with ads), but since the data network is closed most of the time, I don't see them often.

spiny
Disk Imager Supreme
Disk Imager Supreme

Postby spiny » Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:26 am

troed
Atari God
Atari God

Postby troed » Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:43 am

From your description it sounds like you've installed ad-malware. They can seldom be found in the official Play Store, usually they come with apps sideloaded (installed from untrusted sources), a setting you have to manually enable.

AtariZoll
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby AtariZoll » Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:38 am

For me the social/commercial aspect of this is most interesting. What makes those people. firms thinking that such way of advertising can pay. Ads at road side are OK, you look them if you have nothing better to look. TV ads are necessary bad, and it is price for their service. Could give more similar examples. But when I want to do something on my phone, tablet, and some completely unrelated ad blocks my activity - like I started to watch some TV program, and ad breaks whole displaying of it - in maybe very interesting moment, that's top of stupidity. I'm sure that it is contraproductive as much as it can be.
I remember that Bill Gates talked some 22 years ago about that should switch on more aggressive ways of advertisement - on pushy mode. But obviously, that not happened in Microsoft SW.
Some just reinvent again and again hot water, what is cold as ice actually. I guess that they doing it in some desperation - when realize how poorly it sales. Maybe closest thing to it are street advertisers, who will stop you and push in your hand some printed ad, even if you say that got already it, 5 times from them this week. Not far from - too bad, no emoticon for bashing head in wall :mrgreen:

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby wongck » Sat Jul 22, 2017 4:51 pm

AtariZoll wrote:For me the social/commercial aspect of this is most interesting. What makes those people. firms thinking that such way of advertising can pay.

That's where you are wrong. It pays either way.

I do not think the app developer thinks anyone will pay... and that's where the ad comes in.
The ad is paying for it to be put there.

So win-win for the developer, user do not pay but advertisement will.... and he can pop a ad every few mins so that he gets the ad to pay him.
If user do not want ad, user pay for a ad-free app.

Good business model.
My Stuff: FB/Falcon CT63+CTPCI_ATI_RTL8139 14+512MB 30GB HDD CF HxC_SD/ TT030 68882 4+32MB 520MB Nova/ 520STFM 4MB Tos206 SCSI

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby wongck » Sat Jul 22, 2017 4:54 pm

troed wrote:From your description it sounds like you've installed ad-malware. They can seldom be found in the official Play Store, usually they come with apps sideloaded (installed from untrusted sources), a setting you have to manually enable.

That's great.
I heard that Google Play store do not check so much so it can happen. :roll:
Apple spends tons to clean their app and this also happens to iTunes store. :lol:

IDK. Seems iPhone apps are not so good after all. :shrug:

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby wongck » Sat Jul 22, 2017 4:58 pm

spiny wrote:

I do not think it is the OS, it is mostly apps that comes with ad.

Like for example. it was said that Flappy Bird makes $50K a day for in-app advertisement & ales.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flappy_Bird

This is the business model... you want to use, you do not want to pay.... the ad pays.
if you do not want ads... then you pay to buy the app.

spiny
Disk Imager Supreme
Disk Imager Supreme

Postby spiny » Sat Jul 22, 2017 7:27 pm

wongck wrote:
spiny wrote:

I do not think it is the OS, it is mostly apps that comes with ad.

Like for example. it was said that Flappy Bird makes $50K a day for in-app advertisement & ales.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flappy_Bird

This is the business model... you want to use, you do not want to pay.... the ad pays.
if you do not want ads... then you pay to buy the app.

I know it's not the OS. It''l be some crapware installed by the provider/supplier that you can't remove without rooting the phone.

but once you've rooted, it makes sense to put your own rom on too. LineageOS is the successor to cyanogen, I have it on a few devices here, it's very good.

alexh
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby alexh » Sun Jul 23, 2017 6:21 am

Very easy to install an ad blocker. Some apps malfunction if they can't connect to the ad server but most just display a black box or nothing. We ad block on our router at home too

AtariZoll
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby AtariZoll » Sun Jul 23, 2017 6:48 am

wongck wrote:
AtariZoll wrote:For me the social/commercial aspect of this is most interesting. What makes those people. firms thinking that such way of advertising can pay.

That's where you are wrong. It pays either way.
I do not think the app developer thinks anyone will pay... and that's where the ad comes in.
The ad is paying for it to be put there.
So win-win for the developer, user do not pay but advertisement will.... and he can pop a ad every few mins so that he gets the ad to pay him.
If user do not want ad, user pay for a ad-free app.
Good business model.

You say "The ad is paying for it to be put there." I correct your bad English: the advertising firm is paying , And you talk how app developer earns money via it. I guess that most of people were aware about it without your enlightening explanation. Only that you forgot to think, write about part what pays all it - and that was about what I talked - how this can pay for advertiser - and that's not app, which pop ups ad, but firm which sales concrete product. So, please think again, and explain, how this can be good for them ? How it can increase sales, be good business (model) ?
In my case it is simple now - I just will not install apps of this kind. I can still find plenty of real freeware.

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby wongck » Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:49 am

Thank you for correcting my bad English.
Since you already well verse with the concept I will not bore you any more.
Fortunately for me my bad English took me to places where I worked in Millicent project in the early 90s.
This project is one of the great (may be one more great) grand father of internet payments concepts/schemes where all ad eyeballs and clicks can be monetized. So I do not need anyone telling me more.

AtariZoll
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby AtariZoll » Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:21 am

wongck wrote:Thank you for correcting my bad English.
Since you already well verse with the concept I will not bore you any more.
Fortunately for me my bad English took me to places where I worked in Millicent project in the early 90s.
This project is one of the great (may be one more great) grand father of internet payments concepts/schemes where all ad eyeballs and clicks can be monetized. So I do not need anyone telling me more.

Yes, that answered all my questions :D Advice: if you can not understand what people asking here, please don't write in thread.

troed
Atari God
Atari God

Postby troed » Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:27 am

AtariZoll wrote:Yes, that answered all my questions :D Advice: if you can not understand what people asking here, please don't write in thread.

What really is the topic? That you install malware on your phones and then complain about the OS makers?

But, if you're really interested in knowing why companies put such intrusive ads there, they don't. Usually the companies pay for getting their ads onto real proper ad networks, and shady developers pretend to do so but in reality they put their ads into ad-malware. The advertisers only see clicks, and think the clicks came from properly done advertising. The shady developers get their revenue.

Advice: Don't install malware and then whine about it.

AtariZoll
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby AtariZoll » Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:44 am

troed wrote:What really is the topic? That you install malware on your phones and then complain about the OS makers?
But, if you're really interested in knowing why companies put such intrusive ads there, they don't. Usually the companies pay for getting their ads onto real proper ad networks, and shady developers pretend to do so but in reality they put their ads into ad-malware. The advertisers only see clicks, and think the clicks came from properly done advertising. The shady developers get their revenue.
Advice: Don't install malware and then whine about it.

The topic is clear here - and it is visible from title: stupidity. Stupidity of firms which spend lot of money for counterproductive way of advertising.
You are really full of self. I don't whine about it. I placed this in Chat forum, so we can talk relaxed about it, I told that I'm not much bothered with it, and that will not do measures against some time, just to see how it will go further. And yes, some things changed. Only you can not change and still act like some smartest one, while only thing you should to do is to read what is written, before start with your useless posts.
If some company does not care about how their money is spent, how those who were paid perform advertisement, that company, firm is indeed stoopid.
I don't think that they see only clicks. Especially, because you again don't follow - I talked mostly about ADs which demand immediately install of some SW.
Like mentioned APD News. Then plenty of it what want install some game.
It is really stupid to even talk here about what developers get - when someone spends money, someone gets it. The topic is why some spend money, not how some earn money via this way of advertisement. That's off topic - start thread about it yourself. And please, don't reply if you have nothing constructive to say.

troed
Atari God
Atari God

Postby troed » Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:15 am

AtariZoll wrote:don't reply if you have nothing constructive to say.

Maybe if you spent a bit more time trying to understand what others write, you'd get more out of posting here than constantly coming of as being extremely rude and arrogant?

My posts in this thread contain the answers to everything you have asked (including your own misunderstandings). I suggest reading them again.

(And yes, I know quite a lot about the subject, having worked in mobile since 1998. It seems you have a general problem accepting that you don't know everything better than anyone else)

AtariZoll
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby AtariZoll » Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:46 am

Nobody wrote a word about core of topic - why they use, or why they pay this way of advertisement ?
Please quote some, if you think different. Interesting is that even when I ask something, then I'm who know everything better :D
I will not reply on other things in your posts, that's really boring now.
And, because I guess, that your word must be the last:
I will ask to close this thread if there will be more off-topic posting, and childish reactions when point on some bad writings.

troed
Atari God
Atari God

Postby troed » Sun Jul 23, 2017 2:12 pm

AtariZoll wrote:Nobody wrote a word about core of topic - why they use, or why they pay this way of advertisement ?

How strange, those are exactly the questions that I answered through my posts.

1) Ad-malware

2) Advertisers don't know in what context their ads are placed by shady developers

The above two options (which in your case are likely to be true, both of them. For most general users of freeware apps without malware it's usually only the second) are the answers to your questions.

You might want to correct the English of your own posts, and not only others', since it's slightly difficult to parse sometimes.

AtariZoll wrote:then I'm who know

And of course, since you seem to have installed malware* on your phone I would advise you to factory reset and then switch out all passwords to everything you've ever accessed through the phone. They can do a lot more than just serve ads.

/Troed

*)
AtariZoll wrote:They pop up everywhere, any time.

AtariZoll
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby AtariZoll » Sun Jul 23, 2017 2:58 pm

"then I'm who know everything better" - that would be complete context. It's only typo- missing s.
And no, you did not answer, did not explain anything. Even if is true that advertisers "don't know" - question is why they are so stupid, and throw out money without anything in return.
But that was enough of this. No use here to talk, because smartheads kill all threads, and even get insulted when someone notices it.
Moderators, please, close the thread.

Social Media

Return to “Chat forum [ENG]”