MINT: We don't make this easy do we?

No topic. Everything you want to speak about. Please just stay courteous.

Moderators: Mug UK, Silver Surfer, Moderator Team

simonsunnyboy

Re: MINT: We don't make this easy do we?

Postby simonsunnyboy » Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:57 pm

EmpireAndrew wrote:I don't need the UNIX stuff really.
I just wanted to multi task GEM stuff.
Mainly so I can have a web browser open at the same time as a text editor and FTP program.

I was also wondering if the web browser would work faster under a multi tasking environment, although unlikely given that jpeg decoding really tasks these old machines...

In this case VanillaMint is the way to go. Once it is up and running, you can replace the kernel and drivers with one from the laste Github sources.
Simon Sunnyboy/Paradize - http://paradize.atari.org/ - STOT: http://www.npoi.de/stot/

Stay cool, stay Atari!

1x2600jr, 1x1040STFm, 1x1040STE 4MB+TOS2.06+SatanDisk, 1xF030 14MB+FPU+NetUS-Bee

Jabber: simonsunnyboy@atari-jabber.org

1st1
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby 1st1 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:25 pm

Interesting discussion here. I also remember KGMD, somewhere in the 90's I installed it and I was quite happy with it, except of that it was a kind of allmost useless on a 4 MB ST. I still remember my 80 MB Quantum 5,25 SCSI HDD clickkering a lot when it was booting... But that disk then got broken and so the installation gone.

I also plan to install MiNT on my TT since long time, and on one of my Falcons as soon the ct60e is in there, but maybe again delay... The point is that I am reading a lot of confusing things about MiNT installation, specially in combination with different graphics cards (I have Matrix CoCo in one TT, Nova Mach32 in the other, and Screenblaster at one of my falcon (the one which will get the ct60e). Some drivers have to be startet before mint.prg, some after, from the one or other startup script. This sounds like bohemian villages to me. (I am a bit familar with Linux, that may helps with the Unix stuff in MiNT)

The other thing is, that unfortunatelly EasyMiNT is no more maintained and the author of the installer refuses to give it out for maintenance and continue developement. This is as the installer was made in GFA basic and uses some extra graphics libraries which have to be licenced and are not open source.

Recently I have read, that Vincent Riviere is using easyaramint for testing of Vampire in Amiga, he just transfered it's files to the atari partition in his Amiga and changed fvdi driver and something else. This sounds very simple, but maybe it is not. But it might also be a way to go.

That's for now, I will continue to read this discussion.
Power without the Price. It's not a bug. It's a feature. _/|\_ATARI

1040STFM in PC-Tower (PAK68/2, OvrScn, 4 MB, 1GB SCSI, CD-ROM...) * 2x Falcon 030 32GB/14MB+ScrnBlstrIII * 2x TT030 73GB/20MB+Nova * 520/1040STFM * 520/1040STE * 260/520ST/+ * some Mega ST * 2x Mega STE 500MB/4MB+M.CoCo * Stacy * STBook * SLM605 * SLM804 * SLM605 * SMM804 * SH 204/205 * Megafile 30/44/60 * SF314 * SF354 * 5x Pofo * PC3

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby wongck » Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:41 pm

KGMD, & IIRC several others distribution are those I did not use because of their size and I only had a 4MB 520STFM at that time.
Furthermore, at that time Window 3.0 and family was running and multitasking was all the rage. So that drive my need for it on Atari.
I was happy that those distributions came out because it was then that I started to manually install Mint without an installer.

Soon I found out that to get GEM multitasking was a very simple task.
1. copy MINTNP.PRG ( for no memory protection) to AUTO folder
2. Make a MINT folder on C: root and copy all the supporting XFS, XIF & XDD there.

reboot and BOOOOMMM..... and you have a multitasking GEM. No rocket science, no installer needed.
Trick was to disable all PRG in AUTO and test which one needs to come before or after (or just chat at the BBS :wink: at that time)

Later it became easier may as of v1.15 or may be later, because some bright idea geek came up with putting everything in a folder based on version number. With it just copy that folder from the distribution to the C:\MINT folder and of course that MINT.PRG to the AUTO.

So I do not understand why ppl need an installer for GEM multitasking. Till today I do the same and it works.
Sure AES is added now, networking needs extra files and parameters but that come later and easier once your base is there.
My Stuff: FB/Falcon CT63+CTPCI_ATI_RTL8139 14+512MB 30GB HDD CF HxC_SD/ TT030 68882 4+32MB 520MB Nova/ 520STFM 4MB Tos206 SCSI
Shared SCSI Bus:ScsiLink ethernet, 9GB HDD,SD-reader @ http://phsw.atari.org
My Atari stuff for sale - click here for list

EmpireAndrew
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby EmpireAndrew » Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:39 am

christos wrote:For your network issue, which ethernet driver are you using? I've found the driver provided with MiNT to be less than optimal, I'd try the Assemsoft driver.
http://assemsoft.atari.org/

You da man!

Yes is seems Mint does not like the ENEC3.XIF driver I was using.
The Assemsoft one works perfectly, or at least CAB now works so I can get back to working on the site!

Now I just need to figure out why Highwire doesn't even try to start up...

Does anyone have a working Highwire they can zip up for me so I can compare it to what I have?
Also does Highwire need a a special filesystem type or something? I'm trying to run it off my TOS boot partition...
1977 VCS Heavy Sixxer (Boxed)
1990 Atari 1040STE, 4MB, UltraSatan, TOS 2.06, TT Touch -> Atari SC1435 Colour CRT Monitor
1991 Atari TT030, 2/64MB, Int 8GB Gigafile SCSI2CF, TOS 3.06, CaTTamaran Accelerator -> Atari TTM195 19" Mono CRT Monitor
1993 Atari Falcon030, 14MB, Int 4GB IDE2SD, TOS 4.04 -> Atari PTC1426 Color CRT Monitor
Amiga, Mac, DOS, Newton, SGI, Sun, NeXTStation and more!

Faucon2001
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Faucon2001 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:49 am

EasyAraMint is basically EasyMint full install optimized to run on Aranym. I have just updated some packages manually, tweaked some scrips and added some nice utilities programs for a better experience (thanks to Wongck and Joska between others) .
If you want to install it on a TT or a Falcon, it's feasible but you'll have to put your hands into the grease as there is no installer for that. So, if you have issues to follow Wongck excellent how to, that helped me a lot by the way, installing EasyAraMint on real machine would be more difficult, but also a very satisfying experience. I can assist if you want to try.
I have tried to port it to the Firebee and I am still facing a lot of issue of corruption with the ext2 partition, so it's in standby for now
Now that I have a CT60e on its way, I believe that I will port it to the Falcon, but don't expect something coming soon as I have many projects to complete before. The good thing with vintage computing is that time has an other meaning ;-)
But I fully agree with you, setting up Mint still needs a steep learning curve, that's a shame, and an easy way to install it on any machine is a valuable objective.
Philippe

Firebee, Falcon, STE, Aranym Box, Hatari Pi Box.
My music http://www.philippeworld.net/
My photography http://phil-67.deviantart.com/
EasyAraMint, BeeKey and BeePi https://sites.google.com/site/emaappsarch/home

joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby joska » Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:23 am

EmpireAndrew wrote:Over the network though it loads the page, formats the HTML and displays it, then tries to fetch the image, gets a few KB and then hangs saying the server timed out...

Two things to check:

1. Load u:\etc\resolv.con into qed and check what type of line endings it has. It should be "unix". If not, change to unix and save.
2. Is CAB's cache paths set up correctly?
Last edited by joska on Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jo Even

Firebee - Falcon060 - Milan060 - Falcon040 - MIST - Mega ST - STM - STE - Amiga 600 - Sharp MZ700 - MSX - Amstrad CPC - C64

1st1
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby 1st1 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:46 am

By the way. Why this forum has no MiNT Subforum? It would be nice to have all these topics easy to find.
Power without the Price. It's not a bug. It's a feature. _/|\_ATARI

1040STFM in PC-Tower (PAK68/2, OvrScn, 4 MB, 1GB SCSI, CD-ROM...) * 2x Falcon 030 32GB/14MB+ScrnBlstrIII * 2x TT030 73GB/20MB+Nova * 520/1040STFM * 520/1040STE * 260/520ST/+ * some Mega ST * 2x Mega STE 500MB/4MB+M.CoCo * Stacy * STBook * SLM605 * SLM804 * SLM605 * SMM804 * SH 204/205 * Megafile 30/44/60 * SF314 * SF354 * 5x Pofo * PC3

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby wongck » Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:10 am

joska wrote:
EmpireAndrew wrote:Over the network though it loads the page, formats the HTML and displays it, then tries to fetch the image, gets a few KB and then hangs saying the server timed out...

Two things to check:

1. Load u:\etc\resolv.con into qed and check what type of line endings it has. It should be "unix". If not, change to unix and save.

The route uses TAB as separators. This is a major pitfall for alot of people.
My Stuff: FB/Falcon CT63+CTPCI_ATI_RTL8139 14+512MB 30GB HDD CF HxC_SD/ TT030 68882 4+32MB 520MB Nova/ 520STFM 4MB Tos206 SCSI

joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby joska » Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:16 am

wongck wrote:The route uses TAB as separators. This is a major pitfall for alot of people.

You mean /etc/routes? That file is only used by the EasyMiNT startup-scripts, not by MiNT. There is only one file that's required for MiNTnet applications to work, and that's /etc/resolv.conf (RESOLV.CON on 8+3 filesystems).

VanillaMiNT does not use any startup-scripts, the only script there is the init-script used by dhclient.
Last edited by joska on Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jo Even

Firebee - Falcon060 - Milan060 - Falcon040 - MIST - Mega ST - STM - STE - Amiga 600 - Sharp MZ700 - MSX - Amstrad CPC - C64

christos
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby christos » Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:22 am

EmpireAndrew wrote:Now I just need to figure out why Highwire doesn't even try to start up...

Does anyone have a working Highwire they can zip up for me so I can compare it to what I have?
Also does Highwire need a a special filesystem type or something? I'm trying to run it off my TOS boot partition...

What's the message you get on the console? Highwire doesn't have any specific requirements. It works under plain TOS as well. My guess is there's either some file missing, a corrupt file or you are running a version that doesn't work with your setup (maybe a 68060 or fpu or something, I can't remember exactly).
It's worth checking the highwire.cfg file if it has any references to /home or /root . It might not be able to find it's rsc
Felix qui potuit rerum cognoscere causas.
My Atari blog

STOT Email address: stot(NoSPAM)atari(DOT)org

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby wongck » Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:14 pm

joska wrote:You mean /etc/routes? That file is only used by the EasyMiNT startup-scripts, not by MiNT.

No not Mint.
I mean the route.tab file for Sting.
More discussion here viewtopic.php?t=9169

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby wongck » Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:19 pm

Faucon2001 wrote:I have tried to port it to the Firebee and I am still facing a lot of issue of corruption with the ext2 partition, so it's in standby for now.

I get this issue too.
IIRC, some users do not seems to be suffering from this. It's very weird.
You hoping it will be fixed ?? But who is looking in to this issue now ??
I think it is a FB issue as my other system do not suffer this.

vido
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby vido » Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:41 pm

wongck wrote:
Faucon2001 wrote:I have tried to port it to the Firebee and I am still facing a lot of issue of corruption with the ext2 partition, so it's in standby for now.

I get this issue too.

Yes this is a problem. I had it and and after a lot of trying I solved it. But that was long time ago and I forgot how I did it :(
Somebody compiled mke2fs or similar tool for the FireBee but I am not sure if using this tool solved the problem?!?

EmpireAndrew
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby EmpireAndrew » Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:37 pm

wongck wrote:
joska wrote:

Two things to check:

The route uses TAB as separators. This is a major pitfall for alot of people.

Thanks for the useful pointers. :cheers:

Turns out a different driver for the NetUSBee solved the problem. :D
1990 Atari 1040STE, 4MB, UltraSatan, TOS 2.06, TT Touch -> Atari SC1435 Colour CRT Monitor
1991 Atari TT030, 2/64MB, Int 8GB Gigafile SCSI2CF, TOS 3.06, CaTTamaran Accelerator -> Atari TTM195 19" Mono CRT Monitor
1993 Atari Falcon030, 14MB, Int 4GB IDE2SD, TOS 4.04 -> Atari PTC1426 Color CRT Monitor

joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby joska » Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:12 pm

simonsunnyboy wrote:In this case VanillaMint is the way to go. Once it is up and running, you can replace the kernel and drivers with one from the laste Github sources.

Updated VanillaMiNT - also for 060 - is now sent to the first betatester.
Jo Even

BlankVector
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby BlankVector » Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:16 pm

An eventual VanillaMiNT for Amiga would also be welcome :)
As official FreeMiNT binaries work well on Amiga without any change, that should be easy.

joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby joska » Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:24 pm

VanillaMiNT is now built by a script. It also builds an Amiga-version :) Will be tested later.
Jo Even

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby wongck » Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:59 pm

vido wrote:Yes this is a problem. I had it and and after a lot of trying I solved it. But that was long time ago and I forgot how I did it :(
Somebody compiled mke2fs or similar tool for the FireBee but I am not sure if using this tool solved the problem?!?

Vincent dd that and so did Joska.
I tried but to no avail.

Faucon2001
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Faucon2001 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:19 am

vido wrote:
wongck wrote:

I get this issue too.

Yes this is a problem. I had it and and after a lot of trying I solved it. But that was long time ago and I forgot how I did it :(

VIdo, we should try hypnosis, may be you have the solution locked somewhere inside your head ;-)
If you remember it, I am interested.
As far as I know, the root cause of the gradual corruption of ext2 partition was not found, and I don't think anybody is working on it, but I may be wrong. I remember having read that formatting the CF card on a Falcon with HdDriver was helping but I am suffering of human memory corruption myself too ;-)
Anyway, I had found a go between by installing the ext2 file system on a fat32 partition. It's working because EasyMint only use the root user, but of course it's not 100% satisfactory.
Philippe

Firebee, Falcon, STE, Aranym Box, Hatari Pi Box.
My music http://www.philippeworld.net/
My photography http://phil-67.deviantart.com/
EasyAraMint, BeeKey and BeePi https://sites.google.com/site/emaappsarch/home

vido
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby vido » Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:52 am

Faucon2001 wrote:VIdo, we should try hypnosis, may be you have the solution locked somewhere inside your head ;-)
If you remember it, I am interested.
As far as I know, the root cause of the gradual corruption of ext2 partition was not found, and I don't think anybody is working on it, but I may be wrong. I remember having read that formatting the CF card on a Falcon with HdDriver was helping but I am suffering of human memory corruption myself too ;-)
Anyway, I had found a go between by installing the ext2 file system on a fat32 partition. It's working because EasyMint only use the root user, but of course it's not 100% satisfactory.

Hehe ... maybe we should try hypnosis :)
I have to install full MiNT again as my disk was destrojed by testing an application. I remember if I made ext2 partition by gparted only about 1/3 of it was usable, after writing more on it there was an error. I am almost 80% sure I formated partition (again) by mke2fs or something like that.
I will face this problem again realy soon and if I find solution again I will report it here.

Mark_G
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Mark_G » Sun Mar 26, 2017 7:26 pm

Last time, when I installed Mint, I followed this site :
https://sites.google.com/site/probehouse/mint-os-for-atari/installing-mint

It's for me the best manual on site.
I use Mint only for networking and multitasking and as desktop Gemini, with as less Unix-like environment as possible.
Long agoo, I tried SharityLight.

Mark

EmpireAndrew
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby EmpireAndrew » Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:05 pm

That's the guide I followed.
Worked well except for the UNIX part.

Mark_G
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Mark_G » Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:55 pm

Hello,

Check this :
My URL was last updated on : : 7 Mar 2012
Yours : updated: 18 Mar 2010

Regards,

Mark

EmpireAndrew
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby EmpireAndrew » Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:07 am

No, yours is the one I followed.
The link to it was down when I was posting my original link so I found a mirror that looked like it and posted that instead with a caveat.
But your link is the one I followed.

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby wongck » Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:01 pm

No matter what, Mint is already v1.19 while that was based on v1.16.
However, basic installation should still work. Issue most likely a wrongly placed folder or file.

Social Media

Return to “Chat forum [ENG]”