My interview with:B.J West (Jaguar related)

No topic. Everything you want to speak about. Please just stay courteous.

Moderators: Mug UK, Silver Surfer, Moderator Team

lostdragon
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

My interview with:B.J West (Jaguar related)

Postby lostdragon » Wed Oct 28, 2015 4:22 pm

http://www.grumpyoldgamers.co.uk/index. ... interview/

Latest from myself.

Carried out in early 2015, then forgotten i'd not actually used yet :-(

DarkLord
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Re: My interview with:B.J West (Jaguar related)

Postby DarkLord » Wed Oct 28, 2015 9:00 pm

Interesting! Especially on his take on Atari Corps management and their
view on getting games out the door...
Welcome To DarkForce! http://www.darkforce.org "The Fuji Lives.!"
Atari SW/HW based BBS - Telnet:darkforce-bbs.dyndns.org 520

lostdragon
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby lostdragon » Sat Oct 31, 2015 4:36 pm

Thanks DarkLord.

Much as i loved the Jaguar for the games it got right, the more and more i learn about how Atari just seemed happy to run with the policy of 'Jusat get the damn thing out on the shelf' rather than quality 1st, it makes it harder and harder to actually 'defend' the platform in light of unfair press reaction at the time.

Ragstaff
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Ragstaff » Sun Nov 01, 2015 1:14 am

A very interesting read, thank you! Had to laugh at the Fox people forcing big changes in games just to follow market trends. "Make it look like Tomb Raider!"

EDIT - oops, that was the Martin Piper interview. I'll read this one next ;-)

lostdragon
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby lostdragon » Sun Nov 01, 2015 3:15 am

:-)

Nice to hear the feedback on Martin Piper's interview.

Hope you'll enjoy the BJ West one as well.

MrMaddog
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby MrMaddog » Sun Nov 01, 2015 4:17 am

lostdragon wrote:Thanks DarkLord.

Much as i loved the Jaguar for the games it got right, the more and more i learn about how Atari just seemed happy to run with the policy of 'Jusat get the damn thing out on the shelf' rather than quality 1st, it makes it harder and harder to actually 'defend' the platform in light of unfair press reaction at the time.

This is exactly what we Atari fans in the States knew for a long time, especially since they completely ignored their whole computer line unless it's shipped to Europe. Atari UK was the only ones that actually knew what the were doing (hence why the Jag was more successful there) but they just never had the backing of Atari US... :(

Ragstaff
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Ragstaff » Sun Nov 01, 2015 12:28 pm

lostdragon wrote::-)

Nice to hear the feedback on Martin Piper's interview.

Hope you'll enjoy the BJ West one as well.

Just read that one now, also a good read!The approach of Atari management and marketing not being gamers, being that far out of touch (wanting to sell "toasters") yet making all the decision is staggering and yet, to be honest, sounds like places I've worked. Or the an episode of The Office ;-)

One bit of constructive criticism mate, it doesn't bother me but you use "of" instead of "have" a lot! E.g. "I would of done that" should be "I would have done that". I saw this maybe 5 times in the two interviews. Also noticed a you're/your swap once or twice

lostdragon
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby lostdragon » Sun Nov 01, 2015 2:12 pm

@MrMaddog:I've always been under the impression that Atari UK understood the market here from the ST onwards (i personally think the XEGS was a huge mistake, hardware was too dated by then and there was no way the key software houses were going to get behind it as they'd never shown the 800XL etc the support even the Amstrad CPC had)....

But they simply did'nt have the resources avaiable to do what they really wanted to do and publishers were all too aware of this, so would'nt sign up to support the likes of the Lynx, Panther or Jaguar.

@Ragstaff: :-) Tell me about it :-)

If my interviews were for professional publications and i was under a paid contract (not my thing at all), i'd use proof reader as i'm of the mindset that if your appearing in the mainstream press and taking peoples coin, you ensure your standards are of the highest order, from research to presentation.

My ramblings are very raw and need a hellish lot of work, something i've never been shy to admit....

I'm not attempting to defend myself, lol, you've only to ask Greyfox/Frank Gasking/Josh over at Classic Console/Unseen 64 etc...i always warn them that whilst i'm fine in the role of researcher and by George, i'll put the hours in trying to get the info direct from sources, not just magazine X claimed (though the mag claims do make a good source for questions, with regards to getting an idea of just how true the claims were, where they came from etc)....and i won't be making up claims that person A said this that or the other, but they'll need to tidy my 'data' as it were up a great deal before using it.

The most surprising thing i think i've found when my interviews/misc research goes 'live' is not the reaction to answers given by the people i put questions to......

People seem fine/delighted to hear of what really happened to say Conan on the Jaguar for instance or that there were several ST games being planned/worked on but were cancelled due to.......

But then you stray into what appears to be no-go areas...information has been taken from various magazines and over the years turned up on numerous websites, so some assume it must be fact, a nobody like myself digs that little bit deeper and has an answer that the reason you never saw a Jaguar conversion of.......was simply because hardware could'nt handle it and/or publisher knew Atari did'nt have the resources to make the Jaguar a commercialy viable platform and suddenly your a disbeliever and no-one should believe what your claiming.....

That's just bizzare.I owned a Jaguar, had a pretty good idea at the time what it could/could'nt handle (and full screen texture-mapped 3D was not it's area) so not surprised to find certain games beyond it.

I'm still a PS2/Xbox owner, was'nt at all surprised to find no PS2 conversions from PC of:HL2, Far Cry and Doom 3, so i really do struggle to see sometimes why people cannot accept the Jaguars limitations and how i really did'nt want to see heavily comprimised versions attempted of things like Quake, Tomb Raider, Need For Speed, Daytona USA etc.

I'd much rather developers developed Triple-A, original titles for the Jaguar that played to it's strengths and made the machine something of a must have 2nd system for people.

Trying to compete with texture-mapping of 3DO games, let alone PS1/Saturn was utter madness and we've reports from coders of Missile Command 3D, Supercross, Battlemorph, Freelancer etc telling us how Atari wanted everything texture-mapped as they'd seen things like Shockwave on 3DO and wanted Jaguar to compete or how they thought F.F.L was up there with Tekken etc.

There's no shame in reporting on what was being asked of developers by Atari for the Jaguar, ST, Lynx etc and why.

It does nothing to dent the hours i enjoyed with the formats, it's just balanced research.

lostdragon
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby lostdragon » Sun Nov 01, 2015 3:22 pm

The other point i'd bring up is this:

I think i've close to 30 online interviews up, another 4 or 5 split between ST Gamer Vol 1+2, some misc ones sat with GTW, another few 'out' waiting to come in etc and on paper, it looks 'great'.

Cross spectrum of coders, artists, P.R people, Ex-Atari staff, you name it, but what folks don't see is all the interviews that took a lot of time to put together (i don't use Facebook, so that's a key tool others use that by personal choice, is a closed door to myself), so after having made contact (no mean feat itself), questions are worked up and sent over and when you get an honest answer of...

'sorry, i don't remember much about that, i was only on it for..(or the more common...it's simply been so long ago i cannot recal anything about it)'... i think i now tend not to spend so much time 'phrasing' the question, cue repeated use of phrases.

But the more concerning is those interviews that are sent out and never come back with answers, i used to keep a record of whom i'd sent Q's to and how long ago, simply so i did'nt approach them twice.

If i'd heard nothing after 3 months, a polite email would be sent, jogging the memory, finding out how things were as person often simply snowed under with work, so they'd assure you they could do interview, but not until or...sorry, it was no-longer possible due to crushing deadlines at work, which was great, you knew where things were, you could either wait or thank them for their time or simply move on.

It was the ones whom contact simply stopped with that span me out, learnt from likes of Unseen64/GTW's own research it's very common practice, so it's nothing personal :-)

Whole things been a learning curve, you soon realise you have to be bloody careful asking about Lost Games....some simply will cut off contact as soon as they realise your NOT interested in promoting their latest Mega Project or iOS/Android titles, but would like to know what happened to all the previous mega-hyped games they promised, but never delivered.

Plus you need to bear in mind people invested so much in projects that had the rug pulled out from under them, they got burnt, were unpaid, had to remain silent as P.R issued a statement in effect blaming them for projects cancellation.Lot of potential old wounds.

Trouble with myself is i'm not looking to ask only about what went right........

So yeah i guess i have got rather complacent with way i put questions, think part of me is thinking, well it'll be a real bonus IF i get this back with answers...

iceman
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby iceman » Sun Nov 01, 2015 6:35 pm

I have to say, that was a fascinating interview.

I had zero experience of the Jag - I was an ST guy through and through, and didn't see the point of a games console. From watching the vimeo video attached in your interview, it was clear he/they were big players of Shadowrun (A pen 'n paper RPG that was huge in the mid 90s that I sunk many hours into with my friends). It's also no wonder that Atari tanked shortly afterwards, if that's the way the brass really worked there.

Thanks for that anyway, very illuminating.
Atarian since 1989. Atari 1040STFM, 4MB 520STe with UltraSatan and Unitor N, A dodgy 1 MBSTe that bombs out after a few minutes, and a 14MB 48MHz Falcon 030 with NetUSBee and Soundpool 8 channel DAC. Plus my new MiST!

lostdragon
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby lostdragon » Mon Nov 02, 2015 7:49 am

@Iceman:Wow, thanks for the very kind words there.

As i say i'm not a professional writer/researcher, i just do these in my spare time and i'm simply delighted to hear someone who had zero experience of the Jaguar found the interview worthy of a read and enjoyed it.

It's feedback like this that makes putting the time and effort in.

Cheers :-)

Social Media

Return to “Chat forum [ENG]”