Happy Halloween / Bonfire / Guy Fawkes night!!!

No topic. Everything you want to speak about. Please just stay courteous.

Moderators: Mug UK, Silver Surfer, Moderator Team

RetroGamerUK
RetroLamerUK
RetroLamerUK

Happy Halloween / Bonfire / Guy Fawkes night!!!

Postby RetroGamerUK » Fri Oct 31, 2008 8:43 pm

Well can't think of anything interesting or funny to post right now so there you go !! [smilie=greencolorz4_pdt_12.gif]
Happy aforementioned seasonal events people! :)

rocket-dog
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Re: Happy Halloween / Bonfire / Guy Fawkes night!!!

Postby rocket-dog » Fri Oct 31, 2008 10:08 pm

Happy Hop Tu Naa!

It is Manx New Year's Eve.

Desty
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Desty » Fri Oct 31, 2008 11:05 pm

Happy Hop tu Naa / Shogh ta’n Oie / Oiche Shamhna!

I'm a bit surprised by how close Manx words are to Irish and Scottish Gaelic - I had assumed it was more like Welsh or Breton, but I was wrong. :)
tá'n poc ar buile!

rocket-dog
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby rocket-dog » Sat Nov 01, 2008 12:58 am

Desty wrote:Happy Hop tu Naa / Shogh ta’n Oie / Oiche Shamhna!

I'm a bit surprised by how close Manx words are to Irish and Scottish Gaelic - I had assumed it was more like Welsh or Breton, but I was wrong. :)

I was a bit surprised to find out different the various Gaelic tongues are in their vocabularies. You can just about discern some roots here and there.

You may find these interesting,

http://www.energyfm.net/manxheritagefoundation.htm
http://www.manxradio.com/progProfile.aspx?pID=1284
http://www.manxradio.com/progProfile.aspx?pID=1264

Oie vie Desty!

ps: I don't speak Manx. Lack of time and isolation from other Manx speakers are handicapping my progress on that front. Would prefer to write the language. I am barely intelligible speaking English......!

Grunaki
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Grunaki » Sat Nov 01, 2008 3:01 am

"Trickertreet! / Penni fer't Guy!" (or ah'll piss in yer milk bottles, innit?)

I hate Halloween and Guy Fawkes night - Just an excuse for begging.
(Well, it is in the UK - they seem to be more organized with it over here, but still not that behind the idea..)

(And our Dog used to spend all night cowering in a wardrobe every November 5th until he went deaf when he was old.. Poor little bugger.)
Thermopylae is now an Enemy Island!

Desty
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Desty » Sat Nov 01, 2008 1:46 pm

rocket-dog wrote:ps: I don't speak Manx. Lack of time and isolation from other Manx speakers are handicapping my progress on that front. Would prefer to write the language. I am barely intelligible speaking English......!

Really? What would you write, and for who?
I'm one of the maybe 5-10% of Irish who speaks (a reasonable amount of) Irish. I only get occasion to speak it with one fanatical friend. :D

Grunaki wrote:I hate Halloween and Guy Fawkes night - Just an excuse for begging.
(Well, it is in the UK - they seem to be more organized with it over here, but still not that behind the idea..)

Viz-style Top Tip: Inject laxatives or other creative drug into the sweets!
tá'n poc ar buile!

Grunaki
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Grunaki » Sun Nov 02, 2008 3:24 pm

Desty wrote:Viz-style Top Tip: Inject laxatives or other creative drug into the sweets!

Well, that's the other thing - I don't want my kid going out and getting candy from strangers that could have been poisoned.

There are some sick bastards out there, so you never know..

rocket-dog
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby rocket-dog » Sun Nov 02, 2008 3:50 pm

Desty wrote:Really? What would you write, and for who?
I'm one of the maybe 5-10% of Irish who speaks (a reasonable amount of) Irish. I only get occasion to speak it with one fanatical friend. :D

Not that my posts here reveal it but I am a bit of grammar/writing freak. We weren't taught English grammar at school and I have become very interested in the subject over the last few years. And learning another language helps me to understand my own better. I am a bit of a Manxophile and I like Manx. The fact that it is something different helps too. The other week at uni' we were discussing language as a staple of national identity in a history module. And I bought up the Irish not speaking Irish as an example.

Mug UK
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mug UK » Sun Nov 02, 2008 6:50 pm

Likewise with Wales .. for years it was banned by the schools (up until the early 80's apparently) and now the Welsh government wonders why 80% of the country don't speak it.

Not that I'm Welsh, but have lived there for many a year and parents still do (and love it). Dim Siariad Gymraeg :)
My main site: http://www.mug-uk.co.uk - slowly digging up the bits from my past (and re-working a few): Atari ST, Sega 8-bit (game hacks) and NDS (Music ripping guide).

I develop a free Word (for Windows) add-in that's available for Word 2007 upwards. It's a fix-it toolbox that will allow power Word users to fix document errors. You can find it at: http://www.mikestoolbox.co.uk

rocket-dog
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby rocket-dog » Sun Nov 02, 2008 6:57 pm

These fringe British languages have lost traction. Remember they are not just competing with English here, but English worldwide which includes not just white countries, but Indian, and increasingly China. It is up to the speakers of the various Gaelic tongues to prevent further decline and strengthen their current base. The Manx are doing very well in this respect, a lot better than Irish did in the twenties, when you would have thought that the native tongue would have been celebrated on the momentum of winning self-determination.

Desty
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Desty » Sun Nov 02, 2008 7:46 pm

rocket-dog wrote:The other week at uni' we were discussing language as a staple of national identity in a history module. And I bought up the Irish not speaking Irish as an example.

Pretty good example - as I see it, the Irish people have definitely lost a big part of their national identity and I'd say the zombie status of our language is the main culprit. In comparison to countries which have a healthy language and strong national identity (witness the (possibly excessive) patriotism at cultural and military events in Russia and China for example). We're almost like a bunch of orphans in some respects, watching English and American TV, "following" (??) English football clubs and so on (or watching snooker in my case).

rocket-dog wrote:These fringe British languages have lost traction. Remember they are not just competing with English here, but English worldwide which includes not just white countries, but Indian, and increasingly China.

Well there's no competition there really. Even _in_ Ireland, I'd be surprised if you needed two hands to count the number of foreign people who speak Irish (I know of 3).
The chances of a foreigner living in a foreign country learning Irish is surely even lower :D

You've got to consider the motivation for foreign language learners, too - English is the global language now, but when you look at English language materials online, you see things like "American accent training for Chinese speakers" and the like. People learn (American) English, partly because America is now the centre of the universe, and partly so they can move to an English-speaking country to work. Since they don't need Irish or Manx or Cornish or Breton or Welsh or Scottish Gaelic to work in those countries, they're never going to learn those languages (except maybe in some hardcore place where everybody speaks that language almost exclusively, which is great but not common).

On the other hand, I'm learning Chinese mostly for the fun of it, so maybe some Chinese guy is out there learning my language for no obvious reason. :thumbs: :thumbs:
:cheers:
tá'n poc ar buile!

rocket-dog
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby rocket-dog » Sun Nov 02, 2008 8:00 pm

Yes the renaming of your state institutions with their Irish equivalent (RIE, CIE, etc.) hasn't done much has it? In many ways it is inventing a false past (I don't think I phrased that right..); Irishness for the sake of it if you will. It is the reverse of how some of how high offices of state have bizarre titles that to the majority have lost all meaning. What I find intriguing is how you won independence from us Brits and now your are surrendering your sovereignty to the EU. Anyway this isn't the place for discussions on silly subjects for politics, this a place for serious discussions about serious subjects like Ataris!!!! :mrgreen:

Desty
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Desty » Sun Nov 02, 2008 8:11 pm

rocket-dog wrote:Yes the renaming of your state institutions with their Irish equivalent (RIE, CIE, etc.) hasn't done much has it? In many ways it is inventing a false past (I don't think I phrased that right..); Irishness for the sake of it if you will.

Yes, that seems more like a political move to earn some personal brownie points than a genuinely useful idea. Better would be to improve the government services available through Irish, for example, and that's not happening (the opposite, if anything - some Irish-speaking departments have been shut down, and some politicians want to force people to speak English in courts and to the police).

rocket-dog wrote:What I find intriguing is how you won independence from us Brits and now your are surrendering your sovereignty to the EU.

What, you mean like the Lisbon Treaty?
"Ok, let's try some democracy. Do we ratify this treaty - Yes or no? ... NO? What do you mean, no? The rest of the EU said yes! Better ask them again. Yes or no? NO again? Jeez, we're going to have to disguise it pretty well next time we ask them..."
:D :D
tá'n poc ar buile!

rocket-dog
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby rocket-dog » Sun Nov 02, 2008 8:27 pm

Euro for punt? 80% of the legislation effecting both of us originates in Brussels! I am more abroad in Douglas than Dublin. :D

Grunaki
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Grunaki » Tue Nov 04, 2008 2:02 am

Oh yes, and the dreaded clause the UK put into the Maastricht treaty back in 1993 when we signed on the proviso that we wouldn't join the Euro unless it was ratified by a referendum in the UK.. The politicians desperately want to join it, but everyone would vote 'No', so they still haven't held it yet 15 years on..

(Probably waiting for everyone who remembers what happened when they decimalized the Pound to die off..)

rocket-dog
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby rocket-dog » Sun Nov 09, 2008 1:02 pm

Grunaki wrote:Oh yes, and the dreaded clause the UK put into the Maastricht treaty back in 1993 when we signed on the proviso that we wouldn't join the Euro unless it was ratified by a referendum in the UK.. The politicians desperately want to join it, but everyone would vote 'No', so they still haven't held it yet 15 years on..

(Probably waiting for everyone who remembers what happened when they decimalized the Pound to die off..)

Not like your bitter or anything. Not like your would leave the country...... :mrgreen:

It is frightening actually how many people who I knew growing up have disappeared off overseas to the colonies. I can't blame them. I think if enjoyed IT job as a job (playing with your Atari and high end server work aren't the same...) I would probably be posting from down town Wellington.......

Womble
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Womble » Sun Nov 09, 2008 10:50 pm

Yup- its what I did, am posting from a blazingly sunny Melbourne, tho to be honest it wasnt actually planned but yes I do work IT, network consultant, nothing as sordid as playing with servers thankfully.

We dont have bonfire night, Guy Fawkes is unheard of here, fireworks probably not a good idea as its so damn dry here at the moment, you would end up with parks and cricket ovals on fire across the state.
Sic transit gloria Atari

Desty
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Desty » Mon Nov 10, 2008 2:34 am

Womble wrote:We dont have bonfire night, Guy Fawkes is unheard of here, fireworks probably not a good idea as its so damn dry here at the moment, you would end up with parks and cricket ovals on fire across the state.

At least then you wouldn't be dying of cold like we are here. Poxy old ice-block Ireland. :x You'd think more arsonists would come from Ireland, just out of pragmatic bent.
tá'n poc ar buile!

Womble
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Womble » Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:41 am

Certainly not cold at the moment, we did have to turn the heating on this winter just gone, 4 times I think.
Sic transit gloria Atari

Social Media

Return to “Chat forum [ENG]”