Europe Trip '09

No topic. Everything you want to speak about. Please just stay courteous.

Moderators: Mug UK, Silver Surfer, Moderator Team

karlm
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Europe Trip '09

Postby karlm » Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:50 am

Ok so nothing about computers.

Next year work are kindly sponsoring me to go overseas. Well not really, I get my long service after 8 years and I have to pay my airfares but anyway....

A friend has bought a house near Normandy, France and is going over in January to repair/renovate it. I'm following over to help and tour about Europe for probably July/August/September.

So the question is - where do I go? I'm keen to see all sorts of things but wanting to steer away from 'tourist spots'. Keen cyclist so I am going to look at things like the Alps D' Huez (spelling?) and am keen to go to a few places like Slovakia/Slovenia/Germany/Spain/Italy/Greece/Holland and maybe England ...

Bear in mind travel is not a problem for me - I'm used to driving 350kms to go to my nearest major city Melbourne :)

Let me know!

Cheers

karlm.

darklight
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Re: Europe Trip '09

Postby darklight » Fri Aug 08, 2008 2:43 am

Most places in Europe are good fun - the difference between Australia and Europe is that in Europe you only have to drive to the next city / town / village to experience a different culture, langage, attraction etc. The place is crawling with cool places to visit, so all you've got to do is head out in a random direction for a unique adventure...

My personal reccomendations, for off the beaten track:

UK - Get down to the far southwest (where I'm from :D) for quaint villages etc), Bath and Stonehenge are on the way. Scotland is great, countryside & Edinburgh.

France - would be an awesome country to cycle around with a tent in your backpack, for a month or so, picking up some cheap wine / bread / ham / cheese for lunch every day. *drool*

Amsterdam - ok you said avoid touristy areas, but this place is amazing to see, plenty to do even if you dont smoke weed. Bike friendly too, just watch out for the trams.

Some ideas:

Austria - Never been here in the summer, but friends have and apparently the place is lovely - pristine lakes, castles, alpine meadows, etc.

Germany - I'd love to visit the black forest region here, and eat all the meat they have to offer. And drink the beer. Berlin is great to visit if you like cities.

Greece - go island hopping. Some (hopefully not all?) are as bad as spain (english & german tourists), but there are a lot of islands, surely some arent too bad. Maybe book a sailing trip?

Hmm - lots to do, too much really. If I were you, I'd just get on a bike and go riding around and see where the road takes you!

P.s. where are you - shepparton or somewhere?
Storm Clouds over the Western Front - my WW1 2D dogfighting game for windows
2D Flight Sims - side scrolling aerial combat games

karlm
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Re: Europe Trip '09

Postby karlm » Fri Aug 08, 2008 3:39 am

That's the stuff darklight.
I'm actually in Bright, however my heart is in Porepunkah :)

Any other suggestions!?

Social Media

Return to “Chat forum [ENG]”