Help (walkthrough) needed for "Black Dawn" text-adventure

All about ST/STE games

Moderators: simonsunnyboy, Mug UK, Doctor Bob Gordon, ICS, Moderator Team

LongLifeA1200
Atarian
Atarian

Help (walkthrough) needed for "Black Dawn" text-adventure

Postby LongLifeA1200 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:39 am

Hello text-adventure fans. Any of you had any luck with finishing Black Dawn? I'm currently stuck outside the city. Managed to open the gate to the city, however I can't figure out how to get past the electric field. Appreciate any help with this game.

Mug UK
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Help (walkthrough) needed for "Black Dawn" text-adventure

Postby Mug UK » Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:44 pm

I never did work out how to remove the protection from a compiled STAC adventure (maybe someone else did?).

The large archive of adventure walkthroughs - https://www.solutionarchive.com/ - doesn't list this game either :(
My main site: http://www.mug-uk.co.uk - slowly digging up the bits from my past (and re-working a few): Atari ST, Sega 8-bit (game hacks) and NDS (Music ripping guide).

I develop a free Word (for Windows) add-in that's available for Word 2007 upwards. It's a fix-it toolbox that will allow power Word users to fix document errors. You can find it at: http://www.mikestoolbox.co.uk

siriushardware
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby siriushardware » Thu Aug 29, 2019 6:51 pm

LongLifeA1200, just for you (and out of curiosity) I downloaded this and got myself up to the point where you were stuck, having also figured out how to open the gate.

To get past the electric field which prevents you from entering the city even after you open the gate, you need to have something from the cave which the beast in the location to the south of the city gates prevents you from getting into.

Did you manage to get into the cave yet?

LongLifeA1200
Atarian
Atarian

Postby LongLifeA1200 » Fri Sep 20, 2019 3:00 pm

Thanks for the responses. Glad to see there is still some interest for this game.

Mug UK wrote:The large archive of adventure walkthroughs - https://www.solutionarchive.com/ - doesn't list this game either :(

Thanks for recommending that website. Didn't know about it before. Very good site.

siriushardware wrote:LongLifeA1200, just for you (and out of curiosity) I downloaded this and got myself up to the point where you were stuck, having also figured out how to open the gate.

To get past the electric field which prevents you from entering the city even after you open the gate, you need to have something from the cave which the beast in the location to the south of the city gates prevents you from getting into.

Did you manage to get into the cave yet?

Yes, got into the cave. Found only one item; a Platinum Ring. Retrieved it. What should I do now?

siriushardware
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby siriushardware » Sat Sep 21, 2019 10:22 pm

As far as I remember, you automatically wear the ring when you take it, but if not, make sure you are wearing it. Then, go through the other process required to open the door. Wearing the ring, you should be able to pass north through the opened gate (and the force field) unharmed.

siriushardware
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby siriushardware » Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:59 am

As far as the game itself is concerned I didn't play it much beyond the point where you were stuck.

Unnecessary use of bad language turns me off, and although the writer obviously has a good imagination and a wide spoken vocabulary, there are quite a few basic spelling mistakes which are not acceptable in a text adventure, where text is obviously the main medium / interface. One example is the frequent use of "Your" when the author actually means "You're" (Short for 'You are').

LongLifeA1200
Atarian
Atarian

Postby LongLifeA1200 » Tue Sep 24, 2019 2:35 am

siriushardware wrote:As far as I remember, you automatically wear the ring when you take it, but if not, make sure you are wearing it. Then, go through the other process required to open the door. Wearing the ring, you should be able to pass north through the opened gate (and the force field) unharmed.

When I try "wear ring" the game replies "It won't fit."
Even with it simply in my inventory, I can't pass without getting zapped.
I don't know why it won't work for me.

Social Media

Return to “Games - General”