All about ST/STE games

Moderators: simonsunnyboy, Mug UK, Doctor Bob Gordon, ICS, Moderator Team

MuntyScruntfundle
Atarian
Atarian

An attic find.

Postby MuntyScruntfundle » Sat Feb 16, 2019 6:55 pm

Hi folks.

I've just been given an old ST, it's from a friend, it's been in there attic for ages. Before I go and buy all the upgrades, addons and stick a power lead in the back, is there anything I should be aware of? Anything to be careful of?

It will be completely stripped, cleaned and put back together, but I do need a quick test, I need to prove it's working so the lady will accept some payment for it.

Many thanks.

Greenious
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Re: An attic find.

Postby Greenious » Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:35 pm

STs are pretty resilient, but please open it up and get rid of the dust first, and make sure no insects have been living in it etc.

Other than that, reseating all socketed chips and cables are always a good idea.

Good luck!
Updated my guides as of june 28th, 2016. Check'em out and feedback!
viewtopic.php?t=5040

dhedberg
Atari God
Atari God

Postby dhedberg » Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:55 pm

If you're planning on opening it up and cleaning it anyways, consider doing it before you power it up! Like Greenious says, a dead insect or even the dust could short it out when you power it up. Reseating the chips you can do later if needed.
Daniel, New Beat - http://newbeat.atari.org. Like demos? Have a look at our new Falcon030 demo and feel the JOY.

alexh
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby alexh » Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:03 am

The mouse/joystick ports take a hammering and can get loose joints. A quick reflow fixes them 99% of the time. Invest in a set of port extenders

Social Media

Return to “Games - General”