All about ST/STE games

Moderators: simonsunnyboy, Mug UK, Doctor Bob Gordon, ICS, Moderator Team

Estrayk
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Games fronted for ST

Postby Estrayk » Fri Dec 28, 2018 12:48 am

Hello.

In the Amiga scene there are several fronteds to load whdload games. iGame, AGlaunch... a few days ago, a new version of one of them was released, X-bench. Watching the screenshot, I was thinking why nobody had done anything similar in atari? watching again the screenshot I think it is possible to do something similar. Standard lowres in Amiga is 320x256 and 32col. But we can break the lower / upper borders and change the palette with raster-trick, so, we could get more colors by leaving the bottom with a small screenshot of the game image in 16 colors. If some programmer would like to do something for our beloved st and do not really know what the community needs, I think this would be very welcome and very useful.

What do you think? Any coder interested?
・Falcon ct60e・Atari MegaSTE ・Atari STe ・MIST ・

Cyprian
10 GOTO 10
10 GOTO 10

Re: Games fronted for ST

Postby Cyprian » Fri Dec 28, 2018 12:49 am

nice idea
Lynx II / Jaugar / TT030 / Mega STe / 800 XL / 1040 STe / Falcon030 / 65 XE / 520 STm / SM124 / SC1435
SDrive / PAK68/3 / Lynx Multi Card / LDW Super 2000 / XCA12 / SkunkBoard / CosmosEx / SatanDisk / UltraSatan / USB Floppy Drive Emulator / Eiffel / SIO2PC / Crazy Dots / PAM Net
Hatari / Steem SSE / Aranym / Saint
http://260ste.appspot.com/

christos
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby christos » Fri Dec 28, 2018 12:54 am

I think simonsunnyboy has done something similar.
Felix qui potuit rerum cognoscere causas.
My Atari blog

STOT Email address: stot(NoSPAM)atari(DOT)org

simonsunnyboy

Postby simonsunnyboy » Fri Dec 28, 2018 3:08 pm

I created only a basic harddisk launcher, not a fancy menu system with blingbling. Its focus was to work on every Atari, not to cater for the demoscene multimedia quality.
Simon Sunnyboy/Paradize - http://paradize.atari.org/

Stay cool, stay Atari!

1x2600jr, 1x1040STFm, 1x1040STE 4MB+TOS2.06+SatanDisk, 1xF030 14MB+FPU+NetUS-Bee

bj
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby bj » Fri Dec 28, 2018 6:40 pm

Hotwire 3 does this & more :-)
regards
BJ

Eero Tamminen
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Eero Tamminen » Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:11 pm

simonsunnyboy wrote:I created only a basic harddisk launcher, not a fancy menu system with blingbling. Its focus was to work on every Atari, not to cater for the demoscene multimedia quality.

Have you considered doing a blingbling version at some point? :-)

I wonder what kind of bling would be reasonable... Screenshot would probably mean changing palette between the game list and the screenshot for current selection (to have enough colors for both). Playing game music from separate SNDH file could probably use some already existing code.

Most work would naturally be for whomever would create the game data that would be shown & played by this fancy new game launcher.

stormy
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby stormy » Sat Dec 29, 2018 12:06 am

The thing that annoys me about our Atari systems is how if we want to run a nice OS like mint or magic, we can't boot games. Where as Amigas have a much more capable stock OS that games can be run from. If there was a game booter menu that could solve this problem then I think it would be worth it.
Falcon ct60e 060 - 256mb ram - phantom bus and dsp accel // Atari TT - Thunder and Storm IDE 64mb ram - Lightning VME - USB LAN - Ati Mach64 2mb // Atari STM 4160 - 4MB ram - 16Mhz exxos 1.5 booster - Ultrasatan

Estrayk
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Estrayk » Sat Dec 29, 2018 12:22 am

thx to all for your replies. If any coder is interested, I can help testing dbug/klaz/ppera games... help testing with icd/hddriver/pperaHdriver... testing with real machines (check my signature), make screenshots for each game, music for menu, whatever you need. :cheers:
・Falcon ct60e・Atari MegaSTE ・Atari STe ・MIST ・

simonsunnyboy

Postby simonsunnyboy » Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:34 am

Eero Tamminen wrote:
simonsunnyboy wrote:I created only a basic harddisk launcher, not a fancy menu system with blingbling. Its focus was to work on every Atari, not to cater for the demoscene multimedia quality.

Have you considered doing a blingbling version at some point? :-)

I wonder what kind of bling would be reasonable... Screenshot would probably mean changing palette between the game list and the screenshot for current selection (to have enough colors for both). Playing game music from separate SNDH file could probably use some already existing code.

Most work would naturally be for whomever would create the game data that would be shown & played by this fancy new game launcher.

I have considered this but I lost interest and I don't have any much motivation left for these projects.
My shell uses some code from MSD/POV which basically gives the complete RAM used by the shell back to TOS. A small buffer with the execution code is left active. Only the path to the binary to be run is stored there.
Simon Sunnyboy/Paradize - http://paradize.atari.org/

Stay cool, stay Atari!

1x2600jr, 1x1040STFm, 1x1040STE 4MB+TOS2.06+SatanDisk, 1xF030 14MB+FPU+NetUS-Bee

leech
Atari God
Atari God

Postby leech » Mon Dec 31, 2018 9:27 am

bj wrote:Hotwire 3 does this & more :-)

Link for Hotwire 3?
Atari 8Bits: 800xl, 600xl, XEGS, 800, 130xe, 130xe (VBXE, U1MB, Stereo POKEY)
Atari STs: 1040STf (broken shifter), 1040STe, Mega STe, TT030, Falcon (CT60e, SuperVidel)

christos
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby christos » Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:10 am

mzry wrote:The thing that annoys me about our Atari systems is how if we want to run a nice OS like mint or magic, we can't boot games. Where as Amigas have a much more capable stock OS that games can be run from. If there was a game booter menu that could solve this problem then I think it would be worth it.

There are a few reasons for that. First of all the ST OS is TOS. MiNT and Magic are afterthoughts. Both of them saw widespread use at the end of the ST's gaming life so there was no reason for them to be supported by gaming companies. Also the people who patched the games for Whdload made them system friendly unlike the ST patches. Klaz did make some games able to be run from MiNT.

What you say about the game booter won't work. The game's code needs to become itself system friendly and this is not always easy. As I understand it at least.
Felix qui potuit rerum cognoscere causas.
My Atari blog

STOT Email address: stot(NoSPAM)atari(DOT)org

joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby joska » Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:32 am

mzry wrote:The thing that annoys me about our Atari systems is how if we want to run a nice OS like mint or magic, we can't boot games.

It would be cool if all patched games worked from MiNT (IIRC many of them does, but far from all), but to be honest I don't think it matters that much. Just don't boot MiNT/MagiC, and you can run virtually all games (atleast the games worth playing, and then some) from harddisk on your Falcon or hot-rodded ST. I find this pretty amazing. Remember that a lot of these games wouldn't even work on a plain ST with TOS 1.04, not to mention the STE.
Jo Even

VanillaMiNT - Firebee - Falcon060 - Milan060 - Falcon040 - MIST - Mega ST - STM - STE - Amiga 600 - Sharp MZ700 - MSX - Amstrad CPC - C64

bj
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby bj » Mon Dec 31, 2018 12:25 pm

leech wrote:
bj wrote:Hotwire 3 does this & more :-)

Link for Hotwire 3?

Hotwire is a program launcher & much more -- but minimum bling. Info & prog in the forum thread listed below.

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=13073&p=113382&hilit=hotwire#p113382
regards

BJ

Social Media

Return to “Games - General”