All about ST/STE games

Moderators: simonsunnyboy, Mug UK, Doctor Bob Gordon, ICS, Moderator Team

mossrc
Atarian
Atarian

Notable shareware games?

Postby mossrc » Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:28 am

Hello!

I'm a journalist working on a book about the history of the shareware games scene (working title "Shareware Heroes: Independent Games at the Dawn of the Internet") and I'm hoping you folks can help me out with the Atari ST parts of the story.

Specifically, I'd like you to tell me which shareware games released on the platform are worthy of coverage or at least a mention in the book. I'm aware of Jeff Minter's Llamatron and at some point remember seeing a really positive Cybernetix review, and I've just today found out about Ian Scott's Grandad games, but that's about it. (My prior knowledge is mostly on the PC and especially Mac side — doubly so after my previous book.)

So what other games should I be aware of as I continue my research and look for more people to interview? Also, are there any champions of shareware on Atari (like magazine/newsletter editors and columnists, distributors, and other non-dev people) that I should seek out?

vido
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Re: Notable shareware games?

Postby vido » Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:11 am

I never played the games much but when someone mention shareware games I remember Dave Munsie.
Maybe you should check his production on the net ...

ggn
Atari God
Atari God

Postby ggn » Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:26 am

There's an article on Low res mag covering some of the best out there.
is 73 Falcon patched atari games enough ? ^^

mossrc
Atarian
Atarian

Postby mossrc » Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:14 pm

Thank you both for the suggestions. I've just dug up an interview with Dave Munsie on Atari Legend that seems to offer a good background on his achievements (I see he did top-notch shareware conversions of classic arcade games).

arf
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby arf » Thu Dec 13, 2018 6:33 pm

mossrc wrote:I'm a journalist working on a book about the history of the shareware games scene (working title "Shareware Heroes: Independent Games at the Dawn of the Internet") and I'm hoping you folks can help me out with the Atari ST parts of the story.

Specifically, I'd like you to tell me which shareware games released on the platform are worthy of coverage or at least a mention in the book. I'm aware of Jeff Minter's Llamatron and at some point remember seeing a really positive Cybernetix review, and I've just today found out about Ian Scott's Grandad games, but that's about it. (My prior knowledge is mostly on the PC and especially Mac side — doubly so after my previous book.)

So what other games should I be aware of as I continue my research and look for more people to interview? Also, are there any champions of shareware on Atari (like magazine/newsletter editors and columnists, distributors, and other non-dev people) that I should seek out?

Dynabusters by TSCC? The all-time-favorite 'Ballerburg'?

jfl
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby jfl » Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:19 pm

Oxyd? May not be considered strictly shareware though. But it was awesome.
Jean-François
GEMDict – GEMClip

Eero Tamminen
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Eero Tamminen » Fri Dec 14, 2018 1:22 am

Some notable ones:

STarball: http://www.atarimania.com/game-atari-st ... 11382.html (3 screen pinball with minigame bonus screens, better than commercial ones)

MidiMaze II: http://www.atarimania.com/game-atari-st ... 21664.html (16 player local play over MIDI network)

mossrc
Atarian
Atarian

Postby mossrc » Fri Dec 14, 2018 2:26 am

Oh, I'd forgotten that Oxyd was originally an Atari game. I had the Mac version. Great game. Currently being remade/updated for modern platforms by its developer, too, for anyone unaware.

I also knew MidiMaze II — just hadn't thought of it (so thanks for the reminder!). I think I actually exchanged a few emails with the guy who did that, and also the creator of the first MidiMaze, back when I did a history of Maze/MazeWar for Polygon a few years ago.

Thank you all for the other suggestions as well. I've added them all to my list. (Really looking forward to playing Ballerburg — seems like a brilliant artillery-type game.) Starting to feel much better now about my ability to give the ST decent attention in the book.

dma
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby dma » Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:50 am

Llamatron should be in.

joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby joska » Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:41 pm

And wasn't Droid freeware or shareware? That was a good platformer.
Jo Even

VanillaMiNT - Firebee - Falcon060 - Milan060 - Falcon040 - MIST - Mega ST - STM - STE - Amiga 600 - Sharp MZ700 - MSX - Amstrad CPC - C64

cb
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby cb » Fri Dec 14, 2018 2:26 pm

Let me add 2 shareware Dungeon Master clones to the list: Towers and Walls of Illusion.
AL-FGC
Heghlu'meH QaQ jajvam!

Eero Tamminen
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Eero Tamminen » Sat Dec 15, 2018 1:21 am

Ballerburg is nowadays GPL. I have somewhat cleaned up version of it here: http://eerott.mbnet.fi/hatari/programs.shtml#baller

And DynaBusters is indeed another great multi-player game: http://www.atarimania.com/game-atari-st ... 28670.html

I'd add also Bad Mood, as it works with shareware (or commercial) Doom WAD and is great technical achievement. However, it's for Falcon, not ST, and while it started on the 90's, Doug got it into fully playable game only on this decade: http://www.atarimania.com/game-atari-st ... 21781.html

mossrc
Atarian
Atarian

Postby mossrc » Tue Dec 18, 2018 2:19 pm

Excellent. Thanks all! This has been a huge help.

Social Media

Return to “Games - General”