Trying to find the name of an adventure game

All about ST/STE games

Moderators: simonsunnyboy, Mug UK, ICS, Doctor Bob Gordon, Moderator Team

siriushardware
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Re: Trying to find the name of an adventure game

Postby siriushardware » Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:15 pm

I think the limitation of a USB connected floppy drive is that it can usually only handle 'standard' PC track and sector formats, whereas with an integral drive, software can directly manipulate the floppy controller for the creation of / recreation of non standard formats.

MagikGimp
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby MagikGimp » Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:13 pm

Yeah, a 720kb disk is just standard DOS DD formatted, which an ST can read. That was one of their selling points back in the day.
To the "Disk Imager Supreme", we can't all be that good at it! ;) Nah, I'm not sure if it's the drive I'm using. It possibly needs cleaning? I need to do some more testing with writing Windows files but I'm pretty sure I could before. It wasn't the disk that was the problem when it wouldn't work because I could using it to copy from another disk without problems. @spiny - Could you do me a favour and attempt to write dbug's newish dumps of Automation #26 (both versions) so I know it's not those that are the problem. I managed to get the boot sector to run (plasma wave) and get a disk listing from GEM sometimes but I can't get the CD menu (it just bombs) and it's very unstable all round. With other working disks I just get the Atari drive clicking over the disk reading nothing. Like I say, could be my drive but FI gives me no error messages; but then again, would it? Cheers.
Want to preserve all those old floppy disks? Then head on over to P. Putnik's Floppy Image page!

spiny
Disk Imager Supreme
Disk Imager Supreme

Postby spiny » Wed Jul 04, 2018 7:40 am

MagikGimp wrote:. @spiny - Could you do me a favour and attempt to write dbug's newish dumps of Automation #26 (both versions) so I know it's not those that are the problem.

will do.

LardoBoffin
Atariator
Atariator

Postby LardoBoffin » Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:03 pm

My ST is back and working!

My external floppy drive has formatted a disc which the ST can see ok and it can also list the files on there ok.

The million dollar question is how do I get a game image on the disc. Obviously just copying it across won’t work so I assume I need an installed program to write the image to the floppy? I have a Windows 7 laptop.

Any help appreciated!

Thanks

Lardo
Atari 520STFM with 4MB of RAM
Lots of 8 bit stuff.

MagikGimp
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby MagikGimp » Fri Jul 27, 2018 6:15 pm

Sometimes this forum can be slow in the 2010s. Sorry about that! Anyway, if you read this whole thread you'll learn that you need an floppy drive controller on your motherboard. I'm doubting you have that considering the age of your OS and what with that particular hardware feature going the way of the Dodo about a decade ago. Do you have access to an older computer at all? I can give you some tips of getting XP on there. Still safe(ish) and somewhat usable for around another year online!

P.S. Any luck spiny? Cheers.
Want to preserve all those old floppy disks? Then head on over to P. Putnik's Floppy Image page!

LardoBoffin
Atariator
Atariator

Postby LardoBoffin » Sat Jul 28, 2018 3:19 pm

I have been looking for an older laptop with a built in floppy. I don’t have space to put an old desktop anywhere.
Atari 520STFM with 4MB of RAM
Lots of 8 bit stuff.

Social Media

Return to “Games - General”