All about ST/STE games

Moderators: simonsunnyboy, Mug UK, Doctor Bob Gordon, ICS, Moderator Team

ggn
Atari God
Atari God

bexa64n

Postby ggn » Sun Mar 25, 2018 4:39 pm

Bello!

Here's out first release: bexa64n. It's a little tiny teaser of our forthcoming game bexagon. It's also available for the Atari Falcon and the first release created in bello basic - see readme doc below.

bexa64n: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fr3eto-_jR8

People use the phrase "mini game" without having much understanding of what that really might be or what goes into making any given game, understandable if they're not people who make games themselves. Well here's a true mini game. It's a 64kb file played in a 64x64 pixel area! It has sound*, increasing difficulty, scoring and that's about it. It's very simple stuff, but represents a lot of work... all stripped down and hacked away leaving the simplest gameplay elements and little else :)
*sound - the 64kb version has a small loop, the 2MB ROM has much nicer audio.

Here's the latest video of the proper game, bexagon, from probably around a week ago. This is far from being a minigame... it spends much of its time being a 6MB ROM and a PITA!:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYXnmqNqewU

For downloads go to Pouet, Demozoo, or our site

Check the readme for more info:

Code: Select all

__
 _       _ _    |  |
| |_ ___| | |___|  |
| . | -_| | | . |__|
|___|___|_|_|___|__|

bexa64n

a 64pixel x64pixel x64kb teaser for the forthcoming game, bexagon, by bello games

Written using Bello Basic. What's this? Simply put, it's the good old Raptor Basic+ but modified and extended so it can
also support 16/32 Atari platforms. Both Jaguar and Falcon versions are compiled from the same source files and different
codepaths are used for every platform. This is of course very limited to begin but will grow more sophisticated with time.
Falcon support was added from scratch within 8 days.

64k .ABS contains a small, low-freqency sample
    .ROM contains a larger, higher frequency loop, both for the Atari Jaguar.
    .PRG contains a Falcon030 version.

bb :: ggn
                raptor :: cj
         audio replay :: zerosquare
                 audio :: contains a loop from "Nightrise" by Jens East
                            (http://freemusicarchive.org/music/Jens_East_ft_Henk/Nightrise_1702/Jens_East_-_Nightrise)
                            used under CC BY 4.0 (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/legalcode) by bello games
   64kb optimisations :: george
 testing and direction :: luis
            game code :: kevin

Use a Jagpad in port 1. Press B to begin and use left/right, A/C or 1/3 to steer.

See bellogames.atari.org for more info

This game is released under a "don't be a twat" license, meaning you're free to take a copy from our website or anywhere
we choose to post it (such as atari age or some demo party release or whatevs) but don't do obviously scummy things with it.
Last edited by ggn on Mon Mar 26, 2018 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
is 73 Falcon patched atari games enough ? ^^

mrbombermillzy
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Re: bexa64n

Postby mrbombermillzy » Sun Mar 25, 2018 7:54 pm

Great work! :D

Ive been looking at Raptor Basic recently. Its great news to me that youve extended it for F030.
I would be interested in seeing the speed differences between Falcon/Jag.
Would be amazing tool to have especially with some TT/ST/e support eventually! ;)

Good little game. My hat goes off to you!

ggn
Atari God
Atari God

Postby ggn » Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:45 pm

Bello!

mrbombermillzy wrote:Great work! :D

Thanks!

mrbombermillzy wrote:Ive been looking at Raptor Basic recently.

That's good news! If you have any questions regarding this, don't be shy and use the dedicated AtariAge forum!

mrbombermillzy wrote:Its great news to me that youve extended it for F030.

Well, for now it was literally a one week hackjob to see if it's feasible to port bexagon to the Falcon. So far results have been encouraging :) but it also means there's tons of work to do yet.

mrbombermillzy wrote:I would be interested in seeing the speed differences between Falcon/Jag.
Would be amazing tool to have especially with some TT/ST/e support eventually! ;)

Well, realistically speaking it'll be a massacre - the Jaguar has a couple of chips dedicated for drawing graphics around without programmer intervention, while the ST/Falcon has... just a frame buffer? Oh dear!

However, it doesn't mean I won't go down without a fight - there's a lot of tricks that could be employed depending on the use case. (that's actually another issue - the Jaguar's OP can give a lot of performance with even untuned generic code, while on ST/Falcon you might have to bleed). It's safe to say that I will be trying my luck integrating a certain toolkit by a certain Scottish fellow, plus other fun stuff!

mrbombermillzy wrote:Good little game. My hat goes off to you!

Thanks again, have fun playing it - we did have a ton of fun making it :).

mrbombermillzy

Postby mrbombermillzy » Sun Mar 25, 2018 9:00 pm

Either way, its absolutely amazing.

I have total respect for guys like Doug and yourself for pushing some cool new gaming based code frameworks/languages. It can only encourage more people to make games for the Atari platform.

And with your track record, Im sure you will squeeze some more juice from the F030 side of things! ;)

dhedberg
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby dhedberg » Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:39 am

Interesting project!
Would love to play the Jaguar version. Will you bring a complete setup to Sommarhack? ;-)
Daniel, New Beat - http://newbeat.atari.org

ggn
Atari God
Atari God

Postby ggn » Mon Mar 26, 2018 2:35 pm

dhedberg wrote:Interesting project!
Would love to play the Jaguar version. Will you bring a complete setup to Sommarhack? ;-)

I'm pretty sure that I'm travelling light on Sommarhack, so no suitcase for me (i.e. no hardware). However I can easily bring a flashcart so if the organisers can arrange for a Jaguar setup I can easily demonstrate everything :). Apply peer pressure to organisers now!

simonsunnyboy

Postby simonsunnyboy » Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:29 pm

Nice thing, a reason to power up the Falcon in the near future!
Simon Sunnyboy/Paradize - http://paradize.atari.org/

Stay cool, stay Atari!

1x2600jr, 1x1040STFm, 1x1040STE 4MB+TOS2.06+SatanDisk, 1xF030 14MB+FPU+NetUS-Bee

Xerus

Postby Xerus » Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:26 pm

Surprise, a big borders game :lol:

The Jaguar is probably the most powerful 2D console ever or in the top 3 in any case; much more powerful than a NeoGeo.
The 2D is not really the specialty of Falcon even if it is not bad (cf Sho ren sha); he is more gifted in 3D than in 2D thanks to his DSP.
To "compete" it would need a CT60 but there will still be the problem of video bandwidth.
I wonder if anyone has already done a test to know how many pixels/vbl we can move in true color mode on Falcon with a 060!

In any case I like the idea of ​​a new basic (game oriented) shared for several platforms, for certain types of games it can facilitate porting.

Thanks for the game and long life to the future Bello Basic :D
Last edited by Xerus on Sat Mar 31, 2018 1:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Atarieterno
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Atarieterno » Fri Mar 30, 2018 11:58 pm

Great job !!
:cheers:
ST/fm/e, STacy, Mega ST/e, TT, Falcon, C-Lab MKX... and more music tools.

sh3-rg
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby sh3-rg » Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:23 pm

mrbombermillzy wrote:And with your track record, Im sure you will squeeze some more juice from the F030 side of things! ;)

I'd love the Falcon version to be the best one, it might miss the pointless green blobby stuff and scaled copies of the gameplay area, but GGN's got this I know it! My vote was for a monsterous ct60 version that really puts the Jag game in the shade :mrgreen:

BTW, you should check out his write-up of the process that got the Falcon side of things off the ground, really interesting stuff I thought: http://d-bug.mooo.com/beyondbrown/post/bello-basic/

Xerus wrote:Surprise, a big borders game :lol:

8)
fxXxings to disco mobile

CiH
Atari God
Atari God

Postby CiH » Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:03 pm

I did check the text out.

Top work and very nicely written.

I'm sure we'd like to hear what's coming next. If Bello will be a general tool for all and what other games are planned for it.
"Where teh feck is teh Hash key on this Mac?!"

ggn
Atari God
Atari God

Postby ggn » Sun Apr 01, 2018 2:04 pm

Hi!

Xerus wrote:Surprise, a big borders game :lol:

The Jaguar is probably the most powerful 2D console ever or in the top 3 in any case; much more powerful than a NeoGeo.
The 2D is not really the specialty of Falcon even if it is not bad (cf Sho ren sha); he is more gifted in 3D than in 2D thanks to his DSP.
To "compete" it would need a CT60 but there will still be the problem of video bandwidth.
I wonder if anyone has already done a test to know how many pixels/vbl we can move in true color mode on Falcon with a 060!

If I'm not mistaken, Deez of Evolution made some sprite tests like what you mention - the result was along the lines of "WHOA!"

Xerus wrote:In any case I like the idea of ​​a new basic (game oriented) shared for several platforms, for certain types of games it can facilitate porting.

Thanks for the game and long life to the future Bello Basic :D

To be honest at this point we can plug support for pretty much any 68k compatible machine out there - the backend is gcc so it's "just" a matter of plugging in platform specific code. But until I have more concrete support for ST/Falcon I don't think I should be boasting about this too much! Different platforms have different needs - at this stage I'm not sure that we can do a "one size fits all" language for various machines.

Anyway, it's all stuff to consider!

CiH wrote:I did check the text out.

Top work and very nicely written.

I'm sure we'd like to hear what's coming next. If Bello will be a general tool for all and what other games are planned for it.

First of all there'll be porting of bexagon to the Falcon which shouldn't be too hard now that the groundwork has been laid from bexa64n. After this we do have 2 games in a very mature state for the Jaguar (visit our website to take a look) that would be a good case study, see what we can and can't do with the system and how easy multiplatform will be. The whole idea has been alive for 2 weeks by now so it's early to say how anything will turn out, but we do intend to try :).

CiH
Atari God
Atari God

Postby CiH » Sun Apr 01, 2018 5:00 pm

Thanks again George. I'll keep an eye on this.
"Where teh feck is teh Hash key on this Mac?!"

MM41
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby MM41 » Sun Apr 01, 2018 8:09 pm

Nice game :D , my falcon is ready for other Bello Basic games :cheers:

Social Media

Return to “Games - General”