All about ST/STE games

Moderators: simonsunnyboy, Mug UK, Doctor Bob Gordon, ICS, Moderator Team

Steven Seagal
Atari God
Atari God

Arkanoid and MIDI

Postby Steven Seagal » Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:55 am

Hi
Looking at Steem traces, it seems that Arkanoid plays MIDI notes (apparently just 'note on', 'note off' on channel 1) when it also plays music on the soundchip, but I hear nothing on my PC. I can't remember if I did before.
Yet, a MIDI program does produce sound on the same setup (Windows 10, using Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth).
Anybody has Arkanoid playing MIDI on an emulator or real hardware?

Stefan jL
Atari God
Atari God

Re: Arkanoid and MIDI

Postby Stefan jL » Sat Sep 09, 2017 4:32 pm

Just tried Arkanoid in SteemSSE and yes the music is played thru MIDI... nice find Steven, i had no idea about this and the manual does not mention anything about MIDI support :)

Steven Seagal
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Steven Seagal » Sat Sep 09, 2017 7:59 pm

Right, I get the sound now, the trick is that it's rather low compared with soundchip.
This means that if you have MIDI enabled, it interferes with soundchip music and you might think something is wrong in Steem.

Neild323
Atari User
Atari User

Postby Neild323 » Sun Oct 22, 2017 1:20 pm

Arkanoid & MIDI?
Couldn't help notice this, as I've recently been remixing Arkanoid & something incredible happened. Apologies if its a bit off topic, but I had a breakthrough circuit bending a sashio keyboard & managed to replicate almost the exact sound of the synth noise used in Arkanoid. I sampled it, & now I've got a whole MIDI channel of the synth in Arkanoid play about with as I remix it. I'll post it up for free when I've done it, just thought I'd share that with u all.

Social Media

Return to “Games - General”