Help me identify old ST game

All about ST/STE games

Moderators: simonsunnyboy, Mug UK, Doctor Bob Gordon, ICS, Moderator Team

Flannel
Atarian
Atarian

Help me identify old ST game

Postby Flannel » Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:44 pm

Please could anyone offer any assistance in identifying an old game I played on Atari ST. I can't be sure if it was a proper release or perhaps a game from Atari magazine cover disk.

My memory is very hazy, but it was something like this....

Top down view, you controlled a small flying ship? around a series of of large rooms. I seem to recall it generally scrolled upwards. You could open sideways scrolling doors by shooting your ships laser at them (or perhaps a switch rather than the door itself)

There were also some enemy sprites that followed walls in a clockwise direction. They couldn't be killed, but I seem to recall you could move them onto a different course by opening a door as they were travelling halfway along it, which would cause them to change directing and head to the opposite wall? You needed to heard three of them further up the map into some small sockets in order to open up a door leading to more of the game.

I'm sure the game was called xybex, but a Google search showed that this game was nothing like the one I've described above, so obviously it's not called xybex, but perhaps another game similar in name?

Ive searched through all the Atari ST games (all 1749 of them) on Video Games museum, and couldn't find what I'm looking for. Perhaps I missed it, or maybe as mentioned, it was a free game on a cover disk.

Sorry about being so vague but I'm desperate to find and play this old game that I remember from 30 years ago. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

AtariZoll
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Re: Help me identify old ST game

Postby AtariZoll » Tue Jul 25, 2017 2:12 pm

Assuming that it begins with X, this may help: http://www.atarimania.com/list_games_atari-st-alphabetical_letter_X_S_G.html
There are some screenshots, and you even can DL it with little luck.
English language is like bad boss on workplace: it expecting from you to strictly follow all, numerous rules, but self bending rules as much likes :mrgreen:

Flannel
Atarian
Atarian

Postby Flannel » Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:53 pm

Sadly I've looked through and don't see it. I've searched a couple of sources for games starting with X and it's not there.

I'm starting to think it must be a cover disc game. I've searches through some available resources but haven't identified it. Does anyone have any recollection of this? I'm pretty sure it's pre-1992.

AtariCrypt
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby AtariCrypt » Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:39 am

Probably completely off here but I'm guessing Quadralien? Not a ship to control of course but... maybe worth a shot! ;-)
AtariCrypt ... ST/e gaming https://ataricrypt.blogspot.com

Flannel
Atarian
Atarian

Postby Flannel » Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:54 am

Cheer for the suggestion, sadly not the one.

Here's a rough drawing of what I remember the very first part of the game. You're the little character in the middle. You shoot the switch to open the left hand door, allow ingredients the enemy to follow the wall round into the main starting room. When it gets to the red Cross in the alcove, it gets stuck there for the rest of the game in exchange for opening the door along the top of the room.

Have the challenge was trying to manoeuvre these enemies into their alcoves further up the map to open later doors.

IMG_20170731_084957.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

spiny
Disk Imager Supreme
Disk Imager Supreme

Postby spiny » Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:16 am

some sort of Chips Challenge type game perhaps ?

aldn

Postby aldn » Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:35 am

Flannel
Atarian
Atarian

Postby Flannel » Mon Jul 31, 2017 2:56 pm

Thanks for the suggestions. Sadly neither of those. I must have spent 10 hours browsing the web over the last few months trying to hunt this down.

Ragstaff
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Ragstaff » Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:03 am

Time to start looking at PD games included on cover discs then, I would say!

leech
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby leech » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:02 pm

I was thinking oxyd or Space Dungeon, though I don't think Space Dungeon ever was releasex on the ST. Hopefully someone finds it, sounds fun!
Atari 8Bits: 800xl, 600xl, XEGS, 800, 130xe, 130xe (fully upgraded (soon!))
Atari STs: 1040STf (broken shifter), 1040STe, Mega STe, TT030, Falcon (CT60e, SuperVidel)

Total Eclipse
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Total Eclipse » Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:04 am

That sounds to me exactly like PowerDown. It was a Mastertronic game, but was on the 8 bit Atari. not the ST.

One of my favourite games on that computer.

http://www.atarimania.com/game-atari-400-800-xl-xe-power-down_4076.html
Atari equipment all in storage - Now playing with MiST :)

Flannel
Atarian
Atarian

Postby Flannel » Sat Oct 14, 2017 5:17 pm

Wow, what a LEGEND!!

That is the game. Hahaha. Thanks very much!!!

Does anyone know if it was remade on ST as it doesn't look how I remember? It had been 30 odd years though, so my memory may be playing tricks. And I'm sure it was on the ST.

Either way, you're a legend. Thanks again!

leech
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby leech » Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:28 pm

http://www.mobygames.com/game/atari-8-bit/power-down According to mobygames, it was only released for the 8-bit. So what you're saying is someone SHOULD remake it for the ST/e? :)
Atari 8Bits: 800xl, 600xl, XEGS, 800, 130xe, 130xe (fully upgraded (soon!))
Atari STs: 1040STf (broken shifter), 1040STe, Mega STe, TT030, Falcon (CT60e, SuperVidel)

Social Media

Return to “Games - General”