Dizzy: Prince of the Yolkfolk ROM

All about ST/STE games

Moderators: simonsunnyboy, Mug UK, Doctor Bob Gordon, ICS, Moderator Team

607
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior
Posts: 113
Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2016 3:20 pm
Location: Frisia, the Netherlands

Dizzy: Prince of the Yolkfolk ROM

Postby 607 » Thu Jun 29, 2017 4:47 pm

Hey, is it true that there is no ROM of Prince of the Yolkfolk available on download?
In that case, could I perhaps provide one? I've got one on floppy, but I have no idea how to make a dump.

AtariZoll
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Posts: 2913
Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:42 pm
Contact:

Re: Dizzy: Prince of the Yolkfolk ROM

Postby AtariZoll » Thu Jun 29, 2017 4:53 pm

Yes, it seems that no img. of original.
You need Pasti and some Atari ST(E):
http://pasti.fxatari.com/
Negative feedback has usually positive effect.

607
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior
Posts: 113
Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2016 3:20 pm
Location: Frisia, the Netherlands

Re: Dizzy: Prince of the Yolkfolk ROM

Postby 607 » Thu Jun 29, 2017 5:02 pm

Interesting, thanks.
Do you know of any other way to get the game to work in the meantime?

Edit: I found a way. :)
It's on Dizzy's excellent Adventure Disk I (1992)(Codemasters)[cr Cynix], and after trying a lot of things I found out it works when I put System to 'ST' and use TOS102. Sorry, I'm not great with knowing what configurations I should use for different applications. :P

AtariZoll
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Posts: 2913
Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:42 pm
Contact:

Re: Dizzy: Prince of the Yolkfolk ROM

Postby AtariZoll » Thu Jun 29, 2017 5:34 pm

607 wrote:Interesting, thanks.
...
It's on Dizzy's excellent Adventure Disk I (1992)(Codemasters)[cr Cynix], and after trying a lot of things I found out it works when I put System to 'ST' and use TOS102. Sorry, I'm not great with knowing what configurations I should use for different applications. :P


Nobody is great in that. There are many games which just work not well on higher TOS versions. But that must be not fault of original game. Sometimes it is crack which fails on higher TOS version, or on machine with more RAM.
In any case, it would be nice if you could make Pasti (STX) image of your original, and upload it here and/or to Atarimania. There is demand for such images, and we would like that everything published is imaged with proper images of original, before floppies became unreadable.
Negative feedback has usually positive effect.

607
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior
Posts: 113
Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2016 3:20 pm
Location: Frisia, the Netherlands

Re: Dizzy: Prince of the Yolkfolk ROM

Postby 607 » Thu Jun 29, 2017 5:57 pm

AtariZoll wrote:
607 wrote:Interesting, thanks.
...
It's on Dizzy's excellent Adventure Disk I (1992)(Codemasters)[cr Cynix], and after trying a lot of things I found out it works when I put System to 'ST' and use TOS102. Sorry, I'm not great with knowing what configurations I should use for different applications. :P


Nobody is great in that. There are many games which just work not well on higher TOS versions. But that must be not fault of original game. Sometimes it is crack which fails on higher TOS version, or on machine with more RAM.
In any case, it would be nice if you could make Pasti (STX) image of your original, and upload it here and/or to Atarimania. There is demand for such images, and we would like that everything published is imaged with proper images of original, before floppies became unreadable.

Good to know. :) I'll see if I can look into it this weekend. (well, weekend... I graduated this year so I haven't got school for some months, so I guess the term 'weekend' doesn't really apply as much anymore ;))

mlynn1974
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior
Posts: 128
Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2008 10:33 pm
Contact:

Re: Dizzy: Prince of the Yolkfolk ROM

Postby mlynn1974 » Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:27 pm

Possibly the reason why there is no dump available is that Code Masters are still very strict on copyright.
I don't think owners of high profile site would host any of their games for this reason.

For years Code Masters games have been 'distribution denied' on the Speccy:
http://www.worldofspectrum.org/infoseek ... id=0009338

Now there's nothing to stop you making your own Pasti image of your original. Infact I think it would be a good idea due to the age and frailty of floppy disks and floppy drives. You'd think Code Masters would cash in on re-releases of their games, but they haven't.
Still got, still working: Atari 4Mb STe, 520STFM, 2.5Mb STF.
Hardware: Cumana CSA 354, Ultimate Ripper, Blitz Turbo, Synchro Express II (US and UK Versions).

AtariZoll
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Posts: 2913
Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:42 pm
Contact:

Re: Dizzy: Prince of the Yolkfolk ROM

Postby AtariZoll » Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:36 am

mlynn1974 wrote:Possibly the reason why there is no dump available is that Code Masters are still very strict on copyright.
I don't think owners of high profile site would host any of their games for this reason. ....

That's certainly not the case. On Atarimania there are STX images of almost all Code Masters releases:
http://www.atarimania.com/list_games_atari-st-p_total-page-step-publisher_81-1-25-1145_S_G.html
So, would be nice to fill up remaining spaces.
Negative feedback has usually positive effect.

607
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior
Posts: 113
Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2016 3:20 pm
Location: Frisia, the Netherlands

Re: Dizzy: Prince of the Yolkfolk ROM

Postby 607 » Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:12 am

All Dizzy games I've got are probably cracked, is that a problem?

Also: "Requires any ST,STe, Mega ST or Mega STe computer with at least one double sided disk drive." What's a double sided disk drive?

AtariZoll
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Posts: 2913
Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:42 pm
Contact:

Re: Dizzy: Prince of the Yolkfolk ROM

Postby AtariZoll » Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:56 am

OK. I found that I have actually STX images of Dizzy Excellent Adventures - 2 floppy collection, what includes this Yolkfolk game too. But it is not listed at Atarimania. And original is on 1S (SS) floppy for sure - whole game takes some 200KB only. So, I will send them images and correction.
Double sides (DS) is with 2 heads, single sided (SS) with 1. Later can up to about 400 KB disks, DS can about 800KB disks. But you can do simple test to see what drive is in your Atari - write some 720-800K image on PC, and check it on Atari.
Negative feedback has usually positive effect.

User avatar
spiny
Disk Imager Supreme
Disk Imager Supreme
Posts: 2340
Joined: Mon Aug 11, 2003 11:53 pm
Location: just outside bristol
Contact:

Re: Dizzy: Prince of the Yolkfolk ROM

Postby spiny » Fri Jun 30, 2017 12:01 pm

607 wrote:All Dizzy games I've got are probably cracked, is that a problem?

Also: "Requires any ST,STe, Mega ST or Mega STe computer with at least one double sided disk drive." What's a double sided disk drive?



Early ST machines were shipped with single sided disk drives, which could only read and write to one side of the disk, so were limited to about 400K of storage, like Ataizoll says.

Later ST machines came with double sided drives, and all STe machines came with double sided.

you would probably know if you had a single side drive, they have the 'big wide' eject button, double sided drives have the much smaller eject button.

and unless you are really worried about originality, to 'upgrade' it's siply a case of putting a double sided drive in. (though depending on what drive you use, some adjustments may be needed :) )

607
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior
Posts: 113
Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2016 3:20 pm
Location: Frisia, the Netherlands

Re: Dizzy: Prince of the Yolkfolk ROM

Postby 607 » Fri Jun 30, 2017 12:29 pm

spiny wrote:
607 wrote:All Dizzy games I've got are probably cracked, is that a problem?

Also: "Requires any ST,STe, Mega ST or Mega STe computer with at least one double sided disk drive." What's a double sided disk drive?



Early ST machines were shipped with single sided disk drives, which could only read and write to one side of the disk, so were limited to about 400K of storage, like Ataizoll says.

Later ST machines came with double sided drives, and all STe machines came with double sided.

you would probably know if you had a single side drive, they have the 'big wide' eject button, double sided drives have the much smaller eject button.

and unless you are really worried about originality, to 'upgrade' it's siply a case of putting a double sided drive in. (though depending on what drive you use, some adjustments may be needed :) )

Okay, thanks, I've got an STe so that must be double sided, then.

I assume original would be nicer than cracked, but if the separate games aren't yet online at all, cracked's better than nothing, right?

607
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior
Posts: 113
Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2016 3:20 pm
Location: Frisia, the Netherlands

Re: Dizzy: Prince of the Yolkfolk ROM

Postby 607 » Sat Jul 01, 2017 9:01 am

I mean, I knew I was going to have problems, as things like these usually can't go without problems. But they came earlier than I had expected, to be honest.
I formatted a diskette (format /T:80 /N:9 a:) and ran PastiTools.exe. When I click Transfer and then Initialise Transfer Disk, I get the error 'Disk not empty'. But it is. It's as empty as can be, as I formatted it and didn't add anything.

AtariZoll
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Posts: 2913
Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:42 pm
Contact:

Re: Dizzy: Prince of the Yolkfolk ROM

Postby AtariZoll » Sat Jul 01, 2017 9:38 am

607 wrote:I mean, I knew I was going to have problems, as things like these usually can't go without problems. But they came earlier than I had expected, to be honest.
I formatted a diskette (format /T:80 /N:9 a:) and ran PastiTools.exe. When I click Transfer and then Initialise Transfer Disk, I get the error 'Disk not empty'. But it is. It's as empty as can be, as I formatted it and didn't add anything.

Did you read what I wrote ? You need first to determine is your floppy drive 1 or 2 sided. The best test for that is that you copy SYSINFO on floppy with PC, and look that can run it on Atari. If not, your drive is likely 1 sided. Then you should try to format it on Atari - where can set 1 or 2 sided - will see what works ...
https://sites.google.com/site/stessential/system-tools/sysinfo

P.S. since it is STE, drive must be 2 sided. Then just format it on Atari as 2 sided, and try Pasti then. It is that with old floppy drives problems appear frequently if you formatted floppy on other drive (PC in your case).
Negative feedback has usually positive effect.

607
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior
Posts: 113
Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2016 3:20 pm
Location: Frisia, the Netherlands

Re: Dizzy: Prince of the Yolkfolk ROM

Postby 607 » Sat Jul 01, 2017 9:48 am

AtariZoll wrote:
607 wrote:I mean, I knew I was going to have problems, as things like these usually can't go without problems. But they came earlier than I had expected, to be honest.
I formatted a diskette (format /T:80 /N:9 a:) and ran PastiTools.exe. When I click Transfer and then Initialise Transfer Disk, I get the error 'Disk not empty'. But it is. It's as empty as can be, as I formatted it and didn't add anything.

Did you read what I wrote ? You need first to determine is your floppy drive 1 or 2 sided. The best test for that is that you copy SYSINFO on floppy with PC, and look that can run it on Atari. If not, your drive is likely 1 sided. Then you should try to format it on Atari - where can set 1 or 2 sided - will see what works ...
https://sites.google.com/site/stessential/system-tools/sysinfo

P.S. since it is STE, drive must be 2 sided. Then just format it on Atari as 2 sided, and try Pasti then. It is that with old floppy drives problems appear frequently if you formatted floppy on other drive (PC in your case).

Thanks. I'll try formatting the floppy on my STE. I was wanting to use SYSINFO anyway, because of another topic here, but I lost some of my diskettes. >.< (that happens quite easily...)

607
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior
Posts: 113
Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2016 3:20 pm
Location: Frisia, the Netherlands

Re: Dizzy: Prince of the Yolkfolk ROM

Postby 607 » Sat Jul 01, 2017 10:47 am

For a while it worked, but then I got an error on my pc saying PART.002 was damaged. What should I do now, if I want to retry? (I should at least get a screenshot of the error, probably) Just delete PART.002 and retry?

AtariZoll
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Posts: 2913
Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:42 pm
Contact:

Re: Dizzy: Prince of the Yolkfolk ROM

Postby AtariZoll » Sat Jul 01, 2017 11:32 am

607 wrote:For a while it worked, but then I got an error on my pc saying PART.002 was damaged. What should I do now, if I want to retry? (I should at least get a screenshot of the error, probably) Just delete PART.002 and retry?

It's just that your 2 floppy drives - 1 in PC, other in Atari, can not read reliable what other drive wrote.
I recommend that you open them and do cleaning - from dust with some small brush. Then clean heads with little alcohol.
If that helps not, drive replacement may be necessary.
Negative feedback has usually positive effect.

607
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior
Posts: 113
Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2016 3:20 pm
Location: Frisia, the Netherlands

Re: Dizzy: Prince of the Yolkfolk ROM

Postby 607 » Sat Jul 01, 2017 12:51 pm

AtariZoll wrote:It's just that your 2 floppy drives - 1 in PC, other in Atari, can not read reliable what other drive wrote.
I recommend that you open them and do cleaning - from dust with some small brush. Then clean heads with little alcohol.
If that helps not, drive replacement may be necessary.

Hm, seems plausible. I don't usually have trouble writing, though.
But what I meant right now: what files do I remove from the transfer disk if I want to retry? Of course I could also reformat and then reinitialise, but that'd take quite a bit more time.

AtariZoll
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Posts: 2913
Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:42 pm
Contact:

Re: Dizzy: Prince of the Yolkfolk ROM

Postby AtariZoll » Sat Jul 01, 2017 1:46 pm

607 wrote:Hm, seems plausible. I don't usually have trouble writing, though.
But what I meant right now: what files do I remove from the transfer disk if I want to retry? Of course I could also reformat and then reinitialise, but that'd take quite a bit more time.

That in what you are now will take lot of time :D
Negative feedback has usually positive effect.


Social Media

     

Return to “Games - General”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests