Which Games have the Strangest Sound Effects ?

All about ST/STE games

Moderators: simonsunnyboy, Mug UK, Doctor Bob Gordon, ICS, Moderator Team

retrogamerzach
Atariator
Atariator

Which Games have the Strangest Sound Effects ?

Postby retrogamerzach » Tue Dec 27, 2016 6:08 am

Ok, I admit it there are days where I would just sit in my room. Load up a game on the Atari ST for nothing but the quirky, strange and enjoyable sound effects. My personal favorite is Bubble Ghost :megaphone:

Which of the Atari ST games do you think have the most unusual, zane and strange sounds ? :coffe:

Cheers

Zach

Cogweasel
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Re: Which Games have the Strangest Sound Effects ?

Postby Cogweasel » Tue Dec 27, 2016 11:29 am

The first game I come to think of when talking about zany sound effects is Llamatron by Jeff Minter! Loved that one, much thanks to the brilliant sound effects. :) But of course, it really is a great Robotron clone as well ...

llamatron_llamasoft.gif
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

spiny
Disk Imager Supreme
Disk Imager Supreme

Postby spiny » Tue Dec 27, 2016 11:38 am

Cogweasel wrote:The first game I come to think of when talking about zany sound effects is Llamatron by Jeff Minter! Loved that one, much thanks to the brilliant sound effects. :) But of course, it really is a great Robotron clone as well ...

llamatron_llamasoft.gif

yep, there are few games that come close to llamtron when it comes down to replicating the sound of a really busy games arcade :)

I play llamtron regularly, as it's -still- an excellent game

oh yeah oh yeah oh yeah oooooooooh yeaaaaaaaah

an honorary mention has to go to Robotz for the 'eep' noise that plays when you die, brilliant stuff :)

Cogweasel
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Cogweasel » Tue Dec 27, 2016 1:49 pm

I was fascinated with sampled sound effects on my ST. I had a Spectrum before and the idea of having sampled sounds was just mind blowing to me. I got Mission Elevator as an early game and I remember loading it up just to listen to those samples. Especially remember one when you opened a door and there was a person behind it who said something.. never could figure out what it was though :D

spiny wrote:an honorary mention has to go to Robotz for the 'eep' noise that plays when you die, brilliant stuff :)

Gave Robotz a quick try, looks like a nice game. Just mildly infuriating, since I kept running into the walls :)

dma
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby dma » Tue Dec 27, 2016 2:07 pm

Yeah, Llamatron. Fractal cry overload! :)

The "Gobliiins" adventure games also got great weird voices and SFX, par with the graphics.

junosix
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby junosix » Tue Dec 27, 2016 3:46 pm

Spidertronic had some pretty bizarre soundeffects too, typical of a lot of French games though I suppose!

There was a coverdisk game where you were a ladybird and there was a soundeffect of a man saying "Nairobi!" when a particular event happened.

retrogamerzach
Atariator
Atariator

Postby retrogamerzach » Tue Dec 27, 2016 6:49 pm

Cogweasel wrote:The first game I come to think of when talking about zany sound effects is Llamatron by Jeff Minter! Loved that one, much thanks to the brilliant sound effects. :) But of course, it really is a great Robotron clone as well ...

llamatron_llamasoft.gif

Oh WOW! I remember that screen growing up soooo long ago with the two llamas and totally forgot about it untill now. It could probably even make a cool custom T shirt with that logo on it :cheers:

junosix wrote:Spidertronic had some pretty bizarre soundeffects too, typical of a lot of French games though I suppose!

There was a coverdisk game where you were a ladybird and there was a soundeffect of a man saying "Nairobi!" when a particular event happened.

these types of games are so creative, appreciate that loading intro music on spidertronic soo grungy and ambient at the same time :mrgreen:

spiny
Disk Imager Supreme
Disk Imager Supreme

Postby spiny » Tue Dec 27, 2016 7:55 pm

turned up my speakers and had few rounds :) got to level 98.

lt.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

junosix
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby junosix » Tue Dec 27, 2016 8:00 pm

Hats off! I don't ever really remember getting past anything around level 30 at most.

Cogweasel
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Cogweasel » Tue Dec 27, 2016 8:12 pm

retrogamerzach wrote:Oh WOW! I remember that screen growing up soooo long ago with the two llamas and totally forgot about it untill now. It could probably even make a cool custom T shirt with that logo on it :cheers:

A T-shirt you say? That's not a bad idea at all! :)

Cogweasel
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Cogweasel » Mon Jan 02, 2017 2:16 pm

I just had to throw together a quick draft of a Llamatron t-shirt :D

Llamatron-layout-test-svart.jpg

mrmop
Atarian
Atarian

Postby mrmop » Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:34 pm

Argh! I remember that game that said Nairobi!!!! I've been trawlling the cover disc pages for a floppy image but can't find it for the life of me. Any one remeber what it was called?

Social Media

Return to “Games - General”