Droid: STE Edition - WIP thread

All about ST/STE games

Moderators: simonsunnyboy, Mug UK, Doctor Bob Gordon, ICS, Moderator Team

junosix
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Droid: STE Edition - WIP thread

Postby junosix » Sat Dec 24, 2016 1:18 am

You might recall a few years ago I did an STE DMA audio patch for ST Format coverdisk classic Droid (viewtopic.php?f=3&t=24324&p=221874). I've recently been working on figuring out the graphics and map data and started a complete rewrite in assembler using the blitter and hardware scrolling (and eventually DMA audio and Power Pad support).

It's very early days but I thought I'd upload a quick Christmas peek at it. At the moment you are able to control the droid walking over the map (press fire to crash!) but I haven't implemented any of the enemies or items so there is a long way to go before it becomes a proper game, but that's the plan. I'll use this thread to post any updates.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Brume
Red eyes
Red eyes

Re: Droid: STE Edition - WIP thread

Postby Brume » Sat Dec 24, 2016 10:02 am

Looks promising, thanks for sharing :D

AtariCrypt
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby AtariCrypt » Mon Dec 26, 2016 4:17 pm

Oh beautiful - thanks for the update :D
AtariCrypt ... ST/e gaming https://ataricrypt.blogspot.com

Methanoid
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Methanoid » Thu Dec 29, 2016 2:48 pm

Looks lovely... please do finish this.. it would be cruel to tease and not do so... :D

Ragstaff
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Ragstaff » Fri Dec 30, 2016 10:33 am

Does it run on Steem? I have tried a few configurations so far without much success (screen artifacts)

junosix
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby junosix » Fri Dec 30, 2016 11:42 am

Thanks for the feedback!

Ragstaff wrote:Does it run on Steem? I have tried a few configurations so far without much success (screen artifacts)

Not sure about Steem, I've been testing it on Hatari (works with any memory configuration right down to 512K) and also on my own STE and the only artifacts are a line near the bottom where I've reserved a section of the display for a Timer B interrupt.

Can you do a screengrab?

christos
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby christos » Fri Dec 30, 2016 11:45 am

I've been playing a lot of Droid 2 lately. It's a great game, so I am looking forward to an STE enhanced version.
Felix qui potuit rerum cognoscere causas.
My Atari blog

STOT Email address: stot(NoSPAM)atari(DOT)org

AtariCrypt
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby AtariCrypt » Fri Dec 30, 2016 1:35 pm

From what I've seen so far, this is going to be massive. Love how the first beta runs and it's only the start. Wow! :-)

Eero Tamminen
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Eero Tamminen » Sat Dec 31, 2016 3:42 pm

Larger visible area and smooth scrolling are nice.

I noticed few issues:
* Something not right in input handling, sometimes game buffers input and droid goes further that it should
* Droid can jump inside the walls, see screenshot
grab0001.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Eero Tamminen on Sun Jan 01, 2017 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

junosix
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby junosix » Sat Dec 31, 2016 8:27 pm

Thanks for the feedback on the controls, the initial WIP download does have rough input handling but I was determined to pump something out over Christmas so people had something to play with. I spent some time refining the controls today and the two points you made happened to be resolved as part of doing that. I'm trying to get the balance right of staying true to the original but there are a few considerations, one being that the droid in the original moved 3 pixels per refresh at 25Hz, but to fudge that at 50Hz by getting it to move 1 pixel one frame then 2 on the next did work but complicated things when it came to the scrolling, so I made the executive decision to just make him move 2 pixels per frame. That has made him a bit quicker and has encouraged me to take a few liberties with the movement in general, so I've now scrapped the thing in the original where you had to wait for the animation of him walking to finish before you could go in the opposite direction so he can now turn on his heel mid-walk. Have also given him a new move where you can tap down twice to drop back down through some of the platforms. Fits in well with everything else and helps make everything feel even more nimble now!

Got a few other things working as well but rather than bunging a new version up every time I add a line of code I'll sit on it until I have more of a milestone. As a rough idea my plan is to get it finished for the 25th anniversary of when it was released on ST Format 37, July 2017. At the very least a playable beta even if it means not having had time to add music and a final polish but will of course show updates in the meantime.

AtariCrypt
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby AtariCrypt » Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:34 am

Wondering how the project is coming along? :)

junosix
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby junosix » Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:47 am

Hey! Made some good progress after I uploaded this preview, got the joystick handling working properly and it now also handles diagonals for jumps too, also got item pickups going, optimised the sprite routine and getting there with animated background tiles. Had to knock it on the head for the meantime though as I have a load of work on and it's also crunch time for some audio work I'm contributing to for Jeff Minter's new game. Just can't code in bits and pieces, need a good stretch of time off from anything else - I really want to crack on with this so I'm going to take a week off around Easter and continue.

AtariZoll
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby AtariZoll » Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:15 pm

Yes, I know from own experience that you need lot of free time, and all it not in small fragments when deal with it. I did some smaller game improvements, like smooth scroll, DMA audio, but it may take really lot of time to figure out how some SW solved some things and way to make it better.
English language is like bad boss on workplace: it expecting from you to strictly follow all, numerous rules, but self bending rules as much likes :mrgreen:

troed
Atari God
Atari God

Postby troed » Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:01 pm

junosix wrote:it's also crunch time for some audio work I'm contributing to for Jeff Minter's new game

Please prioritise Polybius - my PlayStation VR is eagerly awaiting it :P

/Troed

junosix
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby junosix » Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:22 pm

Not long to wait now :) Can't wait to play it either, it looks insane.

qq1975b
Atari God
Atari God

Postby qq1975b » Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:59 pm

Hi,

I have tried on my STe. It looks great. I suupose you know that It crashes when you press fire.
Is it going to have the Amiga music? It doesn't make any sound now, right?
Trying to learn...

junosix
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby junosix » Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:00 pm

Just checking in with a small update on this, haven't had any proper time to sit down with this and get my head into it since the last post but I'm having a few days break from working so have got a display list system in place including animations of tiles/sprites.

So far I've only put in the animated background flames but in theory it's then "just" a question of adding routines for the other object types and then that bit's done.

It's pretty optimal and I'm still confident I can get the whole thing running at 50fps, the blue bar that flashes at the top of the screen is CPU time for drawing the animations so there's a decent amount of time left over per frame for stuff. Droid is much more fluid now too.

(YouTube have absolutely mashed the framerate, bless 'em. I've attached an .mp4 (named as .zip - you'll have to rename it) that gives a better example.)

AtariCrypt
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby AtariCrypt » Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:04 pm

Cool!! That's some CPU usage there :)

Social Media

Return to “Games - General”