Ishar is better on Falcon than modern PCs!

All about ST/STE games

Moderators: simonsunnyboy, Mug UK, Doctor Bob Gordon, ICS, Moderator Team

leech
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Ishar is better on Falcon than modern PCs!

Postby leech » Sun Dec 04, 2016 6:39 pm

I have tried many times to get into Ishar to play through the trilogy, but the game is just damned hard. But outside of that, at some point in time I had bought it on gog.com for cheap.

So I had fired it up last night (on the Falcon) and was looking around to see if there were any hints online and sometimes the GoG version has hint books and such, so while I had the Falcon version up with headphones plugged and listening to the beautiful music, I installed in in Windows via the GoG Galaxy application, and loaded it up there.

First thing of course is that it launches it in DOSbox, and stretches it to fit my wide screen (Falcon version of course keeps aspect ratio even on the wide screen, because the Falcon doesn't do the widescreen resolution anyhow..) so graphically it was 'fat'. But then I noticed... while there were the birds and other background sounds, there was no beautiful soundtrack! But even before that, the initial intro screens sort of popped and the sound was delayed, something that wasn't there on the Falcon version, which ran flawlessly.

Pretty funny that an old 16mhz system with 14mb of ram can handle the game much better than a system with 32gb of ram, 4+ghz processor and SSDs.

Granted with DOSbox, I think they try to get cycle exact, which means that the dos version just kind of sucks, Simarils was always fantastic at getting some serious graphics / sounds out of the Amiga /ST. Even the 'ding' at the logo for the game sounded awful coming from the DOS version, where it sounded more like a loud beep. I was using Soundblaster as the sound card, though so that could be why?

Anyhow, anyone know of any good sites with hints for the Ishar games? You can't even save in the damned thing without first having some money, so I roamed around the country side until I died, but I did it all on the Falcon!

EmpireAndrew
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Re: Ishar is better on Falcon than modern PCs!

Postby EmpireAndrew » Mon Dec 05, 2016 2:06 am

Well you picked the right weekend to ask!

I've been indexing and uploading ST Format magazine to my website and this weekend I happened to do Issue 46 amongst others which has a guide to Ishar in their gamebusters section...

You can find it on Atari Mania site.
1977 VCS Heavy Sixxer (Boxed)
1990 Atari 1040STE, 4MB, UltraSatan, TOS 2.06, TT Touch -> Atari SC1435 Colour CRT Monitor
1991 Atari TT030, 2/64MB, Int 8GB Gigafile SCSI2CF, TOS 3.06, CaTTamaran Accelerator -> Atari TTM195 19" Mono CRT Monitor
1993 Atari Falcon030, 14MB, Int 4GB IDE2SD, TOS 4.04 -> Atari PTC1426 Color CRT Monitor
Amiga, Mac, DOS, Newton, SGI, Sun, NeXTStation and more!

Mindthreat
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Mindthreat » Mon Dec 05, 2016 12:24 pm

Kind of expected to be poo since it's basically being emulated in DOSBox but understand exactly what you mean. Wasn't it originally for the Falcon to begin with? Also make sense that a port would run less nicely, as they usually do. Still... if you have a Falcon, I would only want to play it on that anyways! :D
"To create the future, you must first embrace the past." - http://cerka.weebly.com

dlfrsilver
Atari God
Atari God

Postby dlfrsilver » Mon Dec 05, 2016 2:48 pm

I guess the DOSBOX configuration is bad, hence the lack of music. The PC versions of ishar series have music and sfx as do the Amiga, St, Falcon releases.
Now SPS France representative since the 19th of June 2014. Proud to be an SPS member !

leech
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby leech » Mon Dec 05, 2016 5:18 pm

Actually watched a youtube video of the ST version, it also didn't have Music, but on on the A600 did. I used the out of box GOG version, which says it uses the soundblaster emulation by default.

dlfrsilver
Atari God
Atari God

Postby dlfrsilver » Tue Dec 06, 2016 5:09 pm

i must verify on my PC, but Ishar should have music on PC. I know that configuration/parameter of these games can be a pain however....
Now SPS France representative since the 19th of June 2014. Proud to be an SPS member !

leech
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby leech » Wed Dec 07, 2016 5:35 am

Maybe just the way GOG set it up? Oddly it is supposed to be the compilation, but I saw no way to start up the other games. It popped and acted like it had to load sounds too though.

I know a lot of old dos games had different sound/music depending on what sound card you had.

Social Media

Return to “Games - General”