Using long filenames for GEM or equivalent - SOLVED

All about ST/STE games

Moderators: simonsunnyboy, Mug UK, Doctor Bob Gordon, ICS, Moderator Team

Foebane
Retro freak
Retro freak

Using long filenames for GEM or equivalent - SOLVED

Postby Foebane » Wed Nov 02, 2016 5:45 pm

I'm using Steem SSE and I'm eager to find a replacement or add-on for GEM that will allow me to use files and folders with long names.

I hear that MagiC is a good contender, but I'm having difficulty setting it up.

Can anyone advise me on this?
Last edited by Foebane on Thu Nov 03, 2016 8:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

leech
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Re: Using long filenames for GEM or equivalent

Postby leech » Wed Nov 02, 2016 10:14 pm

MiNT + Teradesk will handle long file names if you're using partitions that are non-TOS. But for TOS, there is only 8+3 style filenames.
Atari 8Bits: 800xl, 600xl, XEGS, 800, 130xe, 130xe (fully upgraded (soon!))
Atari STs: 1040STf (broken shifter), 1040STe, Mega STe, TT030, Falcon (CT60e, SuperVidel)

Foebane
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby Foebane » Wed Nov 02, 2016 10:48 pm

How do I create non-TOS partitions on Steem SSE?

Playmobil
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby Playmobil » Wed Nov 02, 2016 11:40 pm

Just create a simple tos partition... And after use HDDriver (or other HardDisk utilities) to transform it...

Eero Tamminen
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Eero Tamminen » Wed Nov 02, 2016 11:49 pm

If you want to do same with free tools, inside Steem, I think you need 68000 version of MiNT and suitable unix command line tools for that.

If you really want to use long file names with Atari software, I would rather recommend using Aranym instead of Steem. It's made to work nicely with MiNT; can use long file names from your host file system instead of needing to partition & format harddisk image files, supports larger screen resolutions with more colors (with fVDI) and is fast. Aranym emulates 68040 and isn't cycle accurate, which makes it less compatible to Atari software than Steem or Hatari (you can forget running any ST demos on it).

Foebane
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby Foebane » Wed Nov 02, 2016 11:58 pm

That's no good to me, Eero. The main reason for my ST emulation is to run demos, especially STE ones.

Also, how can I run MiNT and "suitable unix command tools" in Windows 7?

Foebane
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby Foebane » Thu Nov 03, 2016 8:16 am

The problem I had was that I have a whole set of Atari ST disk images and direct TOS and PRG files that run from folders, and I had to rename the folders to long names to be consistent with all my other old-school computer files (which almost all use Windows to select files and folders), and to make the names more meaningful, and in GEM, those folder names would be mangled or corrupted to meaningless gibberish as they didn't fit in with the 8.3 standard. However, the filenames inside the folders were compliant with the standard. I solved the problem in Steem SSE by simply using the Disk Manager to set the root path for the Hard Disk and selecting the folder in question, then rebooting and opening the Hard Disk in GEM directly in that folder, bypassing the entire issue!

Eero Tamminen
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Eero Tamminen » Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:52 pm

I noticed that what you wanted was actually something else, but I'm anyway answering these...

Foebane wrote:That's no good to me, Eero. The main reason for my ST emulation is to run demos, especially STE ones.

Atari demos in general don't support/require long filenames (or other MiNT GEMDOS extensions). As to emulators, e.g. Hatari presents long file names in 8+3 format accepted by normal single-TOS compatible Atari programs.

Foebane wrote:Also, how can I run MiNT and "suitable unix command tools" in Windows 7?

Inside one of the Atari emulators. In Steem you need 68000 build of MiNT (rare), in Hatari you can use normal 030 version (e.g. under TT emulation). You need to use hard disk image for that though. With Aranym, there's Atari MiNT driver which interfaces so with the emulator that long file names on the host computer are also visible inside the emulation (as MiNT replaces TOS GEMDOS part with its own version that supports long file names).

Social Media

Return to “Games - General”