Frontier: Elite II on 48MHz Falcon runs too fast

All about ST/STE games

Moderators: simonsunnyboy, Mug UK, Doctor Bob Gordon, ICS, Moderator Team

iceman
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Frontier: Elite II on 48MHz Falcon runs too fast

Postby iceman » Mon Oct 31, 2016 4:38 am

I remember reading back when Frontier: Elite II was released that it would use faster CPUs to produce smoother graphics. Now this definitely is the case, but the game appears to be running too fast (the music is too fast and the animations are too).

Has anyone else noticed this on their accelerated machines?
Atarian since 1989. Atari 1040STFM, 4MB 520STe with UltraSatan and Unitor N, A dodgy 1 MBSTe that bombs out after a few minutes, and a 14MB 48MHz Falcon 030 with NetUSBee and Soundpool 8 channel DAC. Plus my new MiST!

AtariZoll
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Re: Frontier: Elite II on 48MHz Falcon runs too fast

Postby AtariZoll » Mon Oct 31, 2016 9:21 am

It works 20% faster when video is at 60Hz, music playback too. I don't see any bigger speed up on TT for instance, or in emulator set to much higher clock than 48 MHz. I would say that it is well coded. What accelerator is in yr Falcon ?
Famous Schrodinger's cat hypothetical experiment says that cat is dead or alive until we open box and see condition of poor animal, which deserved better logic. Cat is always in some certain state - regardless from is observer able or not to see what the state is.

shoggoth
Nature
Nature

Postby shoggoth » Mon Oct 31, 2016 9:25 am

The culprit is not the faster CPU, it's the vertikal blank frequency.
Ain't no space like PeP-space.

iceman
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby iceman » Fri Nov 04, 2016 10:27 pm

Thanks guys, you're legends. How do you control the vblank frequency? I'm using a VGA monitor.
Atarian since 1989. Atari 1040STFM, 4MB 520STe with UltraSatan and Unitor N, A dodgy 1 MBSTe that bombs out after a few minutes, and a 14MB 48MHz Falcon 030 with NetUSBee and Soundpool 8 channel DAC. Plus my new MiST!

Ragstaff
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Ragstaff » Sat Nov 05, 2016 4:42 am

Very simple, decompile the game and rewrite 3d routs ;-)
Last edited by Ragstaff on Sat Nov 05, 2016 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

iceman
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby iceman » Sat Nov 05, 2016 6:55 am

Thanks Ragstaff, give me a couple of hours and I'll put it up for download.

There's always one, isn't there? :lol:

shoggoth
Nature
Nature

Postby shoggoth » Sat Nov 05, 2016 8:23 am

I've done this once :-P

The game tick time reference is called from the VBl handler. All you need to do is to add a Timer C handler (200Hz), and call it every 4th time from there.

iceman
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby iceman » Sat Nov 05, 2016 9:03 am

shoggoth wrote:I've done this once :-P

The game tick time reference is called from the VBl handler. All you need to do is to add a Timer C handler (200Hz), and call it every 4th time from there.

I might attempt it, but not with one of the most tightly coded games of all time.

Fortunately, there looks like there's a little AUTO folder program that should switch the mode from 60 to 50 Hz. I'll try that and report back when I get home on Sunday.

AtariZoll
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby AtariZoll » Sat Nov 05, 2016 9:05 am

shoggoth wrote:I've done this once :-P

Of course, that's not so simple. It may be that timer C is used by game already for some other purpose - and works not at 200Hz. Then some graphic glitches may appear when it is not tied to V-blank, so much more changes may be needed.
I just checked it - and Timer C is regular (as in TOS), so it is worth of try. I promise that will not disassemble whole game :D
It may be longest game executable - 580KB, btw.

Ah, and you can not change refresh rate to 50 Hz when in VGA mode.
Famous Schrodinger's cat hypothetical experiment says that cat is dead or alive until we open box and see condition of poor animal, which deserved better logic. Cat is always in some certain state - regardless from is observer able or not to see what the state is.

shoggoth
Nature
Nature

Postby shoggoth » Sat Nov 05, 2016 10:43 am

AtariZoll wrote:Of course, that's not so simple. It may be that timer C is used by game already for some other purpose - and works not at 200Hz.

Of course it IS that simple. I said I've done it once. Screen flipping is not tied to the game timer in FE2.

iceman
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby iceman » Sat Nov 05, 2016 11:02 am

AtariZoll wrote:Ah, and you can not change refresh rate to 50 Hz when in VGA mode.

Fortunately, I have a TV sat on the same desk. The only issue might be finding a good old fashioned RF cable.

AtariZoll
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby AtariZoll » Sat Nov 05, 2016 12:14 pm

shoggoth wrote:
AtariZoll wrote:Of course, that's not so simple. It may be that timer C is used by game already for some other purpose - and works not at 200Hz.

Of course it IS that simple. I said I've done it once. Screen flipping is not tied to the game timer in FE2.

I'm not sure what you done once - Frontier , or some other game. If it is Frontier, why not post patch here.
And if did not and if it is so simple why not doing it right this weekend ? :D

Social Media

Return to “Games - General”