What Gamepads or Controllers to Use ?

All about ST/STE games

Moderators: simonsunnyboy, Mug UK, Doctor Bob Gordon, ICS, Moderator Team

retrogamerzach
Atariator
Atariator

What Gamepads or Controllers to Use ?

Postby retrogamerzach » Thu Oct 20, 2016 5:35 pm

OK so this question is for the veterans of atari st / amiga commodore gaming what controller gamepads do you use or recommend. Any fancy eBay solutions to this issue is there some kind of cheap converter connection I can buy on eBay that will let me use a Playstation controller on it or something of the sort ?

Just the other week I found out about this, which is said to do the same thing as the more expensive SD card to Atari solutions out there gotek etc.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/361529954617?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT

Surely there is someone out there who knows a good way by now that is just as cheap ?

EmpireAndrew
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Re: What Gamepads or Controllers to Use ?

Postby EmpireAndrew » Thu Oct 20, 2016 7:01 pm

Due to the age of the Atari ST you'll probably find most of us were using joysticks, not gamepads, back in the day.
For those most tended to favor the original (not re-release) Competition Pro 5000, although I personally favored the Cheetah StarProbe which was also fully microswitched and had fighter plane style trigger buttons in addition tot the fire buttons on the base.
Bear in mind the ST officially supported only 1 fire button iirc.
1977 VCS Heavy Sixxer (Boxed)
1990 Atari 1040STE, 4MB, UltraSatan, TOS 2.06, TT Touch -> Atari SC1435 Colour CRT Monitor
1991 Atari TT030, 2/16MB, Int 8GB Gigafile SCSI2CF, TOS 3.06, CaTTamaran Accelerator -> Atari TTM195 19" Mono CRT Monitor
1993 Atari Falcon030, 14MB, Int 4GB IDE2SD, TOS 4.04 -> Atari PTC1426 Color CRT Monitor
Amiga, Mac, DOS, Newton, SGI, Sun, NeXTStation and more!

Zamuel_a
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Zamuel_a » Thu Oct 20, 2016 8:46 pm

You can use any SEGA Megadrive or Master system controller if you want to use a game pad.
ST / STFM / STE / Mega STE / Falcon / TT030 / Portfolio / 2600 / 7800 / Jaguar / 600xl / 130xe

Pheeel
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby Pheeel » Fri Oct 21, 2016 8:10 pm

Has anyone had any luck with USB control pads and the TOM adaptor? I've just been having a play around and tried plugging in my old PS1 controller via a PC USB adaptor. Surprisingly this worked and it was recognised as a device, but although the controller buttons and analog stick worked fine, the ST's joystick button is not mapped to any of the PS1 buttons, annoyingly. So the only way to play is holding the controller in one hand and mouse in the other for the "fire" button, obviously not ideal.

I was just wondering if a standard USB joypad would be worth trying, or am I liable to get the same result?

MrMaddog
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby MrMaddog » Sat Oct 29, 2016 4:54 pm

Zamuel_a wrote:You can use any SEGA Megadrive or Master system controller if you want to use a game pad.

Megadrive/Genesis gamepad won't work on a ST cause the extra signals locks up the keyboard, believe me I've tried. Will work if plugged in the mouse port though...

Zamuel_a
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Zamuel_a » Sat Oct 29, 2016 5:48 pm

Megadrive/Genesis gamepad won't work on a ST cause the extra signals locks up the keyboard, believe me I've tried. Will work if plugged in the mouse port though...

strange. I have used it in games. I don't think there are any extra signals from the joystick port that can lock up anything. Only the joystick directions are connected. I have only tried it on a STE so can't say if it's the same on a ST. Have not tried it with so many games so maybe not all work.
In the mouseport you also get two buttons, which is always nice for some games.
ST / STFM / STE / Mega STE / Falcon / TT030 / Portfolio / 2600 / 7800 / Jaguar / 600xl / 130xe

simonsunnyboy

Postby simonsunnyboy » Sun Oct 30, 2016 9:18 am

Genesis pads only worked on mouse port for me. Maybe directions worked but not the fire button or so.
Or on the mouse port they are fine.

Master System pads work in both ST ports.
Simon Sunnyboy/Paradize - http://paradize.atari.org/ - STOT: http://www.npoi.de/stot/

Stay cool, stay Atari!

1x2600jr, 1x1040STFm, 1x1040STE 4MB+TOS2.06+SatanDisk, 1xF030 14MB+FPU+NetUS-Bee

Jabber: simonsunnyboy@atari-jabber.org

retrogamerzach
Atariator
Atariator

Postby retrogamerzach » Mon Oct 31, 2016 2:30 am

Simon im starting to think it must be related to different regions and models of Atari that are capable of using a standard 3 button genesis pad. In Canada on a 1040STe it does not work in either port. Also a closer inspection of the plug of the controller all the holes on the plug in of the controller are all the same size unlike compared the sega master system plug where some of the small holes are bigger than the others (plugs easier into the atari than genesis with this difference), so again genesis controller wont work but sega master system controller will work good without modding etc.

About that tom adapter someone mentioned above, not sure about them but heard there is a new revision out now called Tom2"
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/TOM2-USB-Mouse-J ... SwPCVX~AtR

seems its priced out of my range though, would prefer something under $10 if anyone knows let me know. as for now regular sega master system controller seems to work ok but maybe theres other types out there.

then again how about these additional and forgotten about joystick ports found on a 1040 STe what are they ? what would work with ?

simonsunnyboy

Postby simonsunnyboy » Mon Oct 31, 2016 9:36 am

Those are the Extended Joytsick Ports, found on 1040STE, Falcon 030 and the Atari Jaguar. Jaguar Powerpads can be connect and most post 1995 games support them.

They will not work with classic games as they need different software. Adaptors could be made to fully translate a Genesis pad to make it a Jaguar pad.
Simon Sunnyboy/Paradize - http://paradize.atari.org/ - STOT: http://www.npoi.de/stot/

Stay cool, stay Atari!

1x2600jr, 1x1040STFm, 1x1040STE 4MB+TOS2.06+SatanDisk, 1xF030 14MB+FPU+NetUS-Bee

Jabber: simonsunnyboy@atari-jabber.org

cavemanweb
Atarian
Atarian

Postby cavemanweb » Mon Oct 31, 2016 12:20 pm

There is a few design that you can use, you can easily adapt a megadrive joystick or even a pc joystick (the old 15 pin connector), you just have to replace the conector and remap the pins on the joystick board.

Social Media

Return to “Games - General”