Moderators: simonsunnyboy, Mug UK, Doctor Bob Gordon, ICS, Moderator Team

Marakatti
Atari God
Atari God

Atari ST hardware based coin-ops

Postby Marakatti » Wed Jun 15, 2016 10:06 am

Was doing my usual game research from old magazines and found this:

http://www.atarimania.com/game-atari-st ... 30609.html

Anyone know for more? Were these actually released in UK? I also read that East Midlands Leisure had a licence agreement with US Gold for a same kind of coin-op based on Trantor. Haven't seen any images of it.

Thanks,
Marko
-------------< Member of Atarimania >-----------
-< ST / STe / Falcon030 / TT030 archiver >-
-------------> www.atarimania.com <-------------

bullis1
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Re: Atari ST hardware based coin-ops

Postby bullis1 » Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:28 pm

I guess this may be a question for someone affiliated with MAME or KLOV.

That's quite interesting and I wonder what changes were made to the hardware or software.

I have to imagine that ST-based arcade experiences would have failed to impress next to all the high-powered custom hardware present in arcades at the time.
Member of the Atari Legend team

tresas
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby tresas » Sat Jun 18, 2016 2:21 pm

I had heard, back in the '80s or '90s that they were preparing a coin-up platform based on Atari ST that would have been the rival of "Arcadia", which was based on Amiga. But since then I have never heard anything about it.
Atari Jackintosh for ever!

lostdragon
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby lostdragon » Wed Aug 24, 2016 1:52 pm

Probe's Nick Bruty talked of ideas he had for Trantor 2 and despite work never starting on it, he would of liked to of tried a coin-op version, featuring a camera pulled further back and 2 player co-op gameplay.

He didn't like the art style on ST Trantor either :-))

I've always found the game on really worked on the ZX Spectrum and Amstrad CPC..

Gameplay far too shallow for arcades or St..

Cogweasel
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Cogweasel » Wed Aug 24, 2016 2:54 pm

I have tried to find more information about this too, but have been unable to find anything apart from the info on Atarimania / ACE ...
Last edited by Cogweasel on Wed Aug 24, 2016 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FedePede04
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby FedePede04 » Wed Aug 24, 2016 3:04 pm

tresas wrote:I had heard, back in the '80s or '90s that they were preparing a coin-up platform based on Atari ST that would have been the rival of "Arcadia", which was based on Amiga. But since then I have never heard anything about it.

i also read it, it was in one of the popular magazine.
Atari will rule the world, long after man has disappeared

sometime my English is a little weird, Google translate is my best friend :)

lostdragon
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby lostdragon » Thu Aug 25, 2016 12:40 pm

Experience has shown it's often best to take UK Magazine claims with a pinch of salt...

Edge for using known mock-up screens and passing them off as in-game, making up things coders have said regarding Jaguar, Saturn etc.

ACE/Zero for claiming Bob Armour was working on 7800 Gauntlet, The One Domark doing Pitfighter on Panther, Thalion Nebulus 2 on ST etc....G+VG claiming Gremlin bringing Technocop to 7800...all proven to be utter cobblers when you actually speak to publishers to find out more...

List goes on.

Wasn't it ACE who also claimed Data East were to enter the Home Console market with a console based on the arcade boards behind Robocop etc?.

Reported, nothing ever heard of since

Sadly lot of incorrect statements still appear today, which is why i've abandoned magazines, i'm not funding fantasy claims passed off as fact these days.

I'd guess the failure of the Amiga Based coin-ops to really take off might have had something to do with any planned ST based coin-op hardware, ST seemed poorly suited to certain types of genres as it was, lacking things like the Blitter etc the Amiga had as standard.

LuigiThirty
Atariator
Atariator

Postby LuigiThirty » Wed Oct 12, 2016 4:23 am

I've been in the arcade scene for years and I've never heard of any ST-based coin-ops. There's no way the ST would have competed graphically with purpose-built late 80s arcade hardware. It was a common idea, Capcom based their arcade hardware on the Sharp X68000 computer for example. MAME supports the Arcadia Amiga coin-ops though if you're curious about them.

lostdragon
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby lostdragon » Thu Jan 19, 2017 5:18 pm

Found more claims on this supposed ST based coin-op hardware:

The Intec Video System, by east Midlands Leosure.

Basically an ST with 1 Meg of Memory and a 21" High Resolution Monitor.

Games supposedly running on it:

Barbarian (Palace software) Leatherneck, Leviathan, Backlash and Foundations Waste, with Thundercats under consideration.

Games the press claimed had been re-written to take advantage of the 1 Meg Ram and thus had digitised speech, better sound fx etc.

Sounds fantastic, right?

But hello, whats this they have running on supposed ST coin-op in photo to go with text..RYGAR....

Yes a game not even mentioned in the supposed converted for coin-op list...and not actually aN ST conversion for commercial use either.

When ever i hear the phrase 'i'm a UK Games Jurno. used as a boast', i just think back to prime examples like this :).

Cogweasel
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Cogweasel » Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:29 pm

lostdragon wrote:But hello, whats this they have running on supposed ST coin-op in photo to go with text..RYGAR....

Oh those crazy gaming journalists back in the days :D ... Can you post any scans? Would be fun to read and see the photo...

lostdragon
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby lostdragon » Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:27 am

Phew.

Atarimania have a scan:

http://www.atarimania.com/atari-magazin ... _1338.html

Page 10 is where you need to look.

That is Rygar on display is it not?.

Cogweasel
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Cogweasel » Fri Jan 20, 2017 8:31 pm

Yupp, that looks like Rygar allright! The only other article about Intec I have found was in ACE ...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

lostdragon
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby lostdragon » Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:16 pm

:) At least the ACE article showed the 'guts' of the thing and if my eyesight is standing up machine is displaying Foundations waste?

STAction by comparison....

Mind you, ACE don't get off quite so lightly as they were ones who claimed:

Bob Armour doing Atari 7800 Gauntlet (Zero claimed this as well)-Utter tosh.

A team of 6, ex-Imagine coders had been contracted to produce games for the 7800-As of yet, that's still to be proven.

Data East were to enter the home console market with hardware based on their coin-op's that would blow the SNES/MD away....

I had visions of playing arcade perfect Robocop at home, rather than Ocean's ropey ST version (i'd had the C64 version before this), but that seems to be another made up claim.

Cogweasel
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Cogweasel » Sun Jan 22, 2017 11:04 am

I did an interview with an retro game coder recently and actually asked about some claims about his projects, coming from ACE. They turned out to be bogus and he had no idea where they got their information from .. :)

lostdragon
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby lostdragon » Sun Jan 29, 2017 12:52 pm

:) That's been my experience when putting Q's to coders, artist's etc.

Very much a learning curve, but an interesting one as you can a much deeper feel for the industry.

Magazines like:Edge, ACE, Zero, Atari User, Raze, The One, C.U, ACE etc happy to run with fake screens (any image is better than no image), news stories, assumptions etc just to fill pages.Those i kind of understand and accept....it's a bit pathetic that you'd happily pull wool over readership eyes and give false hope, but then that's part n parcel of the industry, marketing wise...

It's when they put the false claims about Coder X said......when in fact they never said any such thing that surprised me a little.

No respect what so ever for the very people they spoke with.

Cogweasel
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Cogweasel » Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:03 pm

I just happened to stumbled across another article about East Midlands Leisure in ACE Issue 08 May 88. Just thought I would upload it here if anyone wants to check it out...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

leech
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby leech » Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:53 pm

Interesting, I know the Jaguar hardware made it into a few Arcade games, but didn't know they were thinking of the ST for some of them.

I kind of thought Gauntlet was semi-ST based, but had a 68010 in it.
Atari 8Bits: 800xl, 600xl, XEGS, 800, 130xe, 130xe (fully upgraded (soon!))
Atari STs: 1040STf (broken shifter), 1040STe, Mega STe, TT030, Falcon (CT60e, SuperVidel)

Social Media

Return to “Games - General”