OutRun, positively surprised

All about ST/STE games

Moderators: simonsunnyboy, Mug UK, Doctor Bob Gordon, ICS, Moderator Team

dlfrsilver
Atari God
Atari God

Re: OutRun, positively surprised

Postby dlfrsilver » Sun Mar 22, 2015 8:49 am

Flash951 wrote:Turbo Outrun, Outrun Europe is better ported for most platforms I think. Outrun (the original) however, is the game many people misses a decent port for, because it has so much potential and originality. The later Turbo Outrun and the unofficial sequel Outrun Europa feels more like just another driving game.

Turbo outrun is also a junk game. The amiga version has no "timing" involved (as Stingray discovered when patching the game under whdload), it's slow as hell... look :

"The game had a major problem on fast machines, it was simply unplayable because there was no timing at all. Since the code is very slow on a
plain 68000 as A500 coder didn't feel like adding any sync with the raster beam hence game is unplayable on fast machines."

Once again it's an ST port, and only outrun Europa has a decent framerate.
Now SPS France representative since the 19th of June 2014. Proud to be an SPS member !

Marakatti
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Marakatti » Sun Mar 22, 2015 4:06 pm

Turbo Outrun in 16Mhz is not that bad at all :)
-------------< Member of Atarimania >-----------
-< ST / STe / Falcon030 / TT030 archiver >-
-------------> www.atarimania.com <-------------

StickHead
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby StickHead » Sun Mar 22, 2015 11:12 pm

guythp wrote:Outrun was in one of the STfm game packs, wasn't it?... Time may have tarnished your memory of things but didn't it take ABSOLUTELY AGES to load (something around 5 minutes)? IIRC in the same pack was Super Hang On, which was a far better conversion (and loaded a damn site faster).

It was in my uncle's Power Pack that he got when he bought the ST. I remember waiting with anticipation, frustrated by the long load time (my memory being very short, as only yesterday we were waiting for 15minutes or more for Amstrad CPC tape games to load) and thinking we were going to be treated to an arcade like experience. Boy, were we disappointed! I don't think we ever bothered with it again after that first play, and why would we? So many great games in that pack!
The Joy of STicks - YouTube - Blog - Twitter - Facebook
New Developments and old inspirations in Atari ST gaming.

mlynn1974
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby mlynn1974 » Tue Aug 25, 2015 12:31 am

I got Outrun on the Spectrum first and it was very, very slow.

I remember at the time friends saying that the ST version looked great, but when we played it 2 years later it was a bit underwhelming. The ST version of the car looked very "flat" or wide. The detailing on the car was better on the Spectrum than the ST. Perhaps they were under pressure to release it for the lucrative Christmas market. They even allowed mouse input and didn't even switch off the keyboard click!

Porting Cannonball to the ST would be very limited with only 16 colours and no hardware scaling. Demo coders would probably remove the lower border to get 320x224 to make the screen a bit more like the original arcade. Rasters for the sky would have been a good idea. Fitting it all into 800kB would be challenging.

Outrun is my favourite arcade game of all time and all versions of Outrun are worth playing. Even if for the "how did they get away with that" factor!
Still got, still working: Atari 4Mb STe, 520STFM, 2.5Mb STF.
Hardware: Cumana CSA 354, Ultimate Ripper, Blitz Turbo, Synchro Express II (US and UK Versions).

Social Media

Return to “Games - General”