OutRun, positively surprised

All about ST/STE games

Moderators: simonsunnyboy, Mug UK, Doctor Bob Gordon, ICS, Moderator Team

Flash951
Atari User
Atari User

OutRun, positively surprised

Postby Flash951 » Mon Feb 23, 2015 2:54 pm

I've tested OutRun on my 520 ST. I know many people was disappointed about the port not only for ST but also for most of the other computers. I was actually positively surprised when testing this game. I think both the graphics and the music was very good in ST version of the game. It misses the speed, the splitting road and so on, but so did also the Amiga version and most of the other ports. The C64 version is the only one that has speed, and the MSX version was maybe the only initial port that was true to the original with the splitting road, but unplayable speed on this one maybe.

qq1975b
Atari God
Atari God

Re: OutRun, positively surprised

Postby qq1975b » Mon Feb 23, 2015 3:27 pm

I think Outrun is fighting on the top positions in the list of worse games ever ported from Arcade...Sure in Amiga world...not so sure in Atari world. Only the comments I have read about it. My personal opinion: when I played it some (lot...) years ago: Disapointed. Not as much as Pacmania but little frustrated. I remember the music was ok.
Trying to learn...

English Invader
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby English Invader » Mon Feb 23, 2015 4:18 pm

Outrun is the first ST game I ever played (also first version of Outrun I ever played) and I was completely blown away by it. 23 years on, Outrun still remains one of my favourite games on the ST.

AtariCrypt
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby AtariCrypt » Mon Feb 23, 2015 5:15 pm

I agree. I think it's a pretty decent game at times. But my first 'racer' for the ST was probably Buggy Boy. And I so still love that game, great on the Atari :)
Steve

Flash951
Atari User
Atari User

Postby Flash951 » Mon Feb 23, 2015 7:25 pm

If you played it in the arcades first and then ran to the shop and got ST or any version, you would be a little dissapointed, thats understandable. It was a superb game on arcade in 1986, and still is great.

junosix
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby junosix » Mon Feb 23, 2015 7:57 pm

ST OutRun is atrocious whether or not you compare it to the original arcade machine but it's the first game I ever booted-up on my ST and for that the sight of the title screen and warbly rendition of the music gets me smiling every time.

Flash951
Atari User
Atari User

Postby Flash951 » Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:07 pm

I also tested the Amiga version the last night. Terrible, unplayable, all the bad rumors about this port is true. Both graphic and sounds seems not as good as the ST version (first game I test that has better sound on ST I think). On the Amiga version, the game starts with trees growing in the asphalt in the middle of the road, there is no start banner, no spectators. The frame rate is horrible, sometimes feels like the car is not moving.

qq1975b
Atari God
Atari God

Postby qq1975b » Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:35 pm

Flash951 wrote:I also tested the Amiga version the last night. Terrible, unplayable, all the bad rumors about this port is true. Both graphic and sounds seems not as good as the ST version (first game I test that has better sound on ST I think). On the Amiga version, the game starts with trees growing in the asphalt in the middle of the road, there is no start banner, no spectators. The frame rate is horrible, sometimes feels like the car is not moving.

:lol: Amiga users were always very happy with this game
Trying to learn...

Cyprian
10 GOTO 10
10 GOTO 10

Postby Cyprian » Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:41 pm

Flash951 wrote:I've tested OutRun on my 520 ST. I know many people was disappointed about the port not only for ST but also for most of the other computers. I was actually positively surprised when testing this game. I think both the graphics and the music was very good in ST version of the game.

Compared to Lotus or Vroom, OutRun is completely unplayable. I recall another game, also horrible slow - Test Drive. To be honest, I can't find anything interesting in both games.
Lynx II / Jaugar / TT030 / Mega STe / 800 XL / 1040 STe / Falcon030 / 65 XE / 520 STm / SM124 / SC1435
SDrive / PAK68/3 / Lynx Multi Card / LDW Super 2000 / XCA12 / SkunkBoard / CosmosEx / SatanDisk / UltraSatan / USB Floppy Drive Emulator / Eiffel / SIO2PC / Crazy Dots / PAM Net
Hatari / Steem SSE / Aranym / Saint
http://260ste.appspot.com/

qq1975b
Atari God
Atari God

Postby qq1975b » Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:49 pm

Cyprian wrote:
Flash951 wrote:I've tested OutRun on my 520 ST. I know many people was disappointed about the port not only for ST but also for most of the other computers. I was actually positively surprised when testing this game. I think both the graphics and the music was very good in ST version of the game.

Compared to Lotus or Vroom, OutRun is completely unplayable. I recall another game, also horrible slow - Test Drive. To be honest, I can't find anything interesting in both games.

:) yes, those two games were excellent! I spent lots of hours playing both.
I remember playing Lotus with friends. The 2 players mode was very fun .
Trying to learn...

AtariCrypt
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby AtariCrypt » Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:55 pm

Oh yes, Vroom is certainly the best. imho.
What an awesome game that is. The original fast and furious!!
Steve

Flash951
Atari User
Atari User

Postby Flash951 » Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:56 pm

Test Drive, saw it first on IBM PC, XT computer with Hercules S/W i think. I was extremely intrigued. First person view, good realistic graphics of the cars in the intro. Later played it on C64, it had sampled speech in the intro (Accolade presents), good graphics in the opening, very good. Later I discovered Test Drive II The Duel at a friends IBM AT (286) with EGA graphics, much more variation than the first, good speed, realism. I loved it. Ordered it on floppy for my C64,,,, so slow so slow, but still unique for C64.

Now I tested the Amiga version, WTF,, slow, no speed feeling at all. Similar speed feeling as on 1 MHz C64, not even close to MSDOS version on 286.

I've don't got the Atari ST version of this game, so haven't tested ST yet. But this game must have been a really bad port from IBM PC.

Lotus Turbo Challenge II is a real fun game to link to computers together and play 4 player. It's also possible to link Atari ST together with Amiga and play.

English Invader
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby English Invader » Tue Feb 24, 2015 2:37 pm

Flash951 wrote:Both graphic and sounds seems not as good as the ST version (first game I test that has better sound on ST I think).

Depends on what you call better sound. I'll take a properly composed ST song over a load of facile Paula sampling any day of the week (Oh yeah!)

Having said that, when Amiga music is good, it's really good.

Flash951
Atari User
Atari User

Postby Flash951 » Tue Feb 24, 2015 4:18 pm

I don't agree at all, but you are fully entitled to an opinion, so I will not argue anything.

Mug UK
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mug UK » Tue Feb 24, 2015 5:30 pm

For the coders/game remakers on the forum, Outrun's main .PRG has all the disassembly labels left in. Would be nice to see what could have been done with Outrun instead of the mess we ended up with.
My main site: http://www.mug-uk.co.uk - slowly digging up the bits from my past (and re-working a few): Atari ST, Sega 8-bit (game hacks) and NDS (Music ripping guide).

I develop a free Word (for Windows) add-in that's available for Word 2007 upwards. It's a fix-it toolbox that will allow power Word users to fix document errors. You can find it at: http://www.mikestoolbox.co.uk

Flash951
Atari User
Atari User

Postby Flash951 » Tue Feb 24, 2015 5:56 pm

There is a very good remake of the original arcade version for PC called Canonball, this one is free but uses the original arcade ROM's. Maybe it would be helpful if the author would share his source code for that one to be used in an ST version?
There also is a thread about the possibilities of making a remake for Amiga on the Amiga forum.

AtariZoll
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby AtariZoll » Tue Feb 24, 2015 8:31 pm

Mug UK wrote:For the coders/game remakers on the forum, Outrun's main .PRG has all the disassembly labels left in. Would be nice to see what could have been done with Outrun instead of the mess we ended up with.

Yes, labels are there, what makes disassembling easier. But to understanding it's code lot of time is needed. And even more to make it faster, better.
Probably whole concept of road draw, graphic code should be changed - what may need some extra graphic work too.
Code is poor - setting CPU to 32 MHz in Steem results in smooth framerate and unplayability - because whole game runs then faster.
I vote to try it in Mame :D

Considering written about Test Drive - I doubt that it was made first for PC - rather for Amiga, ST, C-64 . It suffers from same problem as Outrun - poor framerate, but I think that is better, at least there are sceneries and different cars.
Famous Schrodinger's cat hypothetical experiment says that cat is dead or alive until we open box and see condition of poor animal, which deserved better logic. Cat is always in some certain state - regardless from is observer able or not to see what the state is.

Flash951
Atari User
Atari User

Postby Flash951 » Tue Feb 24, 2015 8:48 pm

QUOTE FROM AUTHOR OF CANONBALL -
"The original OutRun code has been ported from the original assembly. I spent over three years reverse engineering, commenting and finally porting the codebase. You can read the gruelling history on the blog. That codebase, like many games of its era, is not particularly clean or well structured."

https://github.com/djyt/cannonball/wiki/Helping-Out

bullis1
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby bullis1 » Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:36 pm

While the ST version of Outrun is a disappointment in my opinion, the ST got a pretty decent conversion of Turbo Outrun. It's not anywhere near as classic as the original Outrun but as far as arcade ports go it's fairly accomplished.

Now if only there was a good port of Outrunners, which is the best in the whole series IMO. The only home conversion of that is for Sega's own Genesis/Megadrive and it's pretty watered down in almost every way.
Member of the Atari Legend team

Flash951
Atari User
Atari User

Postby Flash951 » Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:08 pm

I have both Outrun, Turbo Outrun and Outrunners on upright driving arcade. Outrunners is technically much better, naturally its several years newer. But Outrun is more fun and feels better to play, more moody kind off. Outrunners feels a little cartoonish, more like Super mario cart.

punkrulesok
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby punkrulesok » Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:14 pm

the problem is sprite scaling, and the cycles it takes to get right.
buggy boy, harley davidson and eliminator are good examples of good coding.

to be fair, the title screen in outrun is good. and as i remember, a PC1 on the disk you can load in to degas and edit!!

Fletch
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby Fletch » Thu Feb 26, 2015 5:17 pm

I played Turbo Outrun on my Falcon recently. I was surprised that it just worked without any voodoo.

Frame rate was decent. I'll need to try it on the Mega to compare.

AtariZoll
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby AtariZoll » Thu Feb 26, 2015 7:12 pm

Turbo Outrun, Outrun Europe - much better than Outrun. Not to mention in same day, thread :mrgreen:
Famous Schrodinger's cat hypothetical experiment says that cat is dead or alive until we open box and see condition of poor animal, which deserved better logic. Cat is always in some certain state - regardless from is observer able or not to see what the state is.

Flash951
Atari User
Atari User

Postby Flash951 » Fri Feb 27, 2015 12:04 pm

Turbo Outrun, Outrun Europe is better ported for most platforms I think. Outrun (the original) however, is the game many people misses a decent port for, because it has so much potential and originality. The later Turbo Outrun and the unofficial sequel Outrun Europa feels more like just another driving game.

guythp
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby guythp » Wed Mar 18, 2015 11:58 pm

Outrun was in one of the STfm game packs, wasn't it?... Time may have tarnished your memory of things but didn't it take ABSOLUTELY AGES to load (something around 5 minutes)? IIRC in the same pack was Super Hang On, which was a far better conversion (and loaded a damn site faster).

In my opinion the best conversion was the PC Engine version. It's as fast as the arcade (albeit without the same number of colours or sized sprites) and plays almost as well (it'll never be as good as a sit-down, even stand up arcade with a steering wheel, foot pedals and gear stick :) )
The Hairy Pies

Social Media

Return to “Games - General”