Xenon 2 Megablast with Mega Music :-)

All about ST/STE games

Moderators: simonsunnyboy, Mug UK, Doctor Bob Gordon, ICS, Moderator Team

emcclariion
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Re: Xenon 2 Megablast with Mega Music :-)

Postby emcclariion » Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:11 am

All,

I seem to have a problem when trying to play the game, all good with the title screen, streaming the music, but when I hit space I get 2 bombs.

I am using a real STE with a UltraSATAN with 4 meg of ram( TOS 2.06), I have used all the versions, the only one which works is the original.

Suggestions ?
Atari TT Nova card Mach64, Lightning VME, 64MB of RAM, Mega STE 4MB, Nova mach 32 and Atari STE 4MB TOS 2.06 Netusb Ultrasatan 2, Atari Falcon CT60 512MB Netusb

AtariZoll
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby AtariZoll » Mon Feb 23, 2015 12:43 pm

Please couple more details: which hard disk driver - exact version, and it's RAM usage if possible. Pressing space at which stage ?
Famous Schrodinger's cat hypothetical experiment says that cat is dead or alive until we open box and see condition of poor animal, which deserved better logic. Cat is always in some certain state - regardless from is observer able or not to see what the state is.

emcclariion
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby emcclariion » Mon Feb 23, 2015 2:57 pm

I will double check, but it is ICD and it is the default version sent with the ulrasatan.

when the game starts you have the first screen which is used for hardware detection and unlimited lives, push space you have some splash screen, then we have the screen with the full version of BOMB the BASE playing , then you press space to play the game.

then I get 2 bombs
Atari TT Nova card Mach64, Lightning VME, 64MB of RAM, Mega STE 4MB, Nova mach 32 and Atari STE 4MB TOS 2.06 Netusb Ultrasatan 2, Atari Falcon CT60 512MB Netusb

AtariZoll
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby AtariZoll » Mon Feb 23, 2015 6:19 pm

I tested with latest ICD Pro driver 6.5.5, UltraSatan, 4 GB Kingston SD card, Mega STE, TOS 2.06 and it works flawless.
Must say here that it requires that computer is in very good shape, so every smaller HW error, what gets unnoticed may causing problems here.
Problems may happen with some low quality SD cards too - it needs cards with fast response.
What TOS 2.06 says about free RAM - press M when on Desktop ?
Famous Schrodinger's cat hypothetical experiment says that cat is dead or alive until we open box and see condition of poor animal, which deserved better logic. Cat is always in some certain state - regardless from is observer able or not to see what the state is.

felicemaggie
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Postby felicemaggie » Thu Feb 26, 2015 8:40 pm

emcclariion, If you can load up TOS 1.06 in RAM into your STe, that should make the game work without problems, whilst AtariZoll gets to the bottom of the problems you reported. I've had similar issues with my setup as well, on running the game, but was able to go back into TOS 1.62 (on my 4160STe) and booting up clean got things working without too many problems.

AtariZoll, can I add my thanks to you for producing this wonderful version of Xenon 2 for the STe and Falcon (though I've not tried it yet on the Falcon personally). You've done a fantastic job with it - ideally this should have been the official release version all those years ago but thanks to the coders at the time being lazy when it came to producing games on the ST, we got what was eventually produced, even compared to the version on the Amiga. Hope to see similar works from you in the future :)

Cheers,

Rich.
Atari Falcon x 4 (including a broken one that I need to get fixed), Atari Mega STe (4mb, TOS 2.05), Atari STe (1mb), Atari Mega ST (2mb) with SC1435 color monitor, Atari 4160 STe (4mb, TOS 1.62), Atari STFM (2.5mb), Atari 800xl with Ultimate 1mb upgrade and SIO2SD (a fantastic upgrade, definitely worth it).
Other formats used sometimes as well for necessity's sake :) On PS4 and PS3, username: felicemaggie

AtariZoll
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby AtariZoll » Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:57 pm

felicemaggie wrote:...
AtariZoll, can I add my thanks to you for producing this wonderful version of Xenon 2 for the STe and Falcon (though I've not tried it yet on the Falcon personally). You've done a fantastic job with it - ideally this should have been the official release version all those years ago but thanks to the coders at the time being lazy when it came to producing games on the ST, we got what was eventually produced, even compared to the version on the Amiga. Hope to see similar works from you in the future :)
Cheers,
Rich.

Thanx, you are welcome. Considering what you said about old, official release: they did great job with this game - and it was published on 2 single sided floppies. So, for low range ST machines. There was no STE yet then, hard disks were expensive and with low capacity - only this one with 2 tracks would eat half space of average hard disk those days :D
Would like to hear some suggestions for game(s) for which good soundtrack, remix is DL-able. Even if there is no music in game self.
Huh - Berlin 1948 has audio tape - must check what is on it really .. :idea:

NGF
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby NGF » Fri Feb 27, 2015 3:49 pm

Remixes for most games can be downloaded here:
http://www.amigaremix.com/
"4160" STE with Ultrasatan | Falcon 030 14MB with CF-reader | TT030 | STacy | 520STFM x 2 | 520ST x 2

alexh
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby alexh » Fri Feb 27, 2015 6:30 pm

Elite replaced with the orchestral music from 2001 space odyssey?

Lotus Turbo Challenge 2 with the official remix by original musician (Barry Leitch)

Robocod with the Amiga CD32 music?

Outrun with the arcade music (although the Atari version is so LAME).

exxos
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby exxos » Fri Feb 27, 2015 6:59 pm

NGF wrote:Remixes for most games can be downloaded here:
http://www.amigaremix.com/

Nice - So many remix of xenon :lol: I wanna do one now, wheres the midi version, I can import it :wink: :lol:
4MB STFM 1.44 FD- VELOCE+ 020 STE - Falcon 030 CT60 - Atari 2600 - Atari 7800 - Gigafile - SD Floppy Emulator - PeST - various clutter

http://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
http://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/last/storenew/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
http://ataristeven.exxoshost.co.uk/Steem.htm Latest Steem Emulator

tresas
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby tresas » Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:22 pm

Blood money?
Lotus Turbo Challenge 2?
Pleaseeeee!!!!
Atari Jackintosh for ever!

NGF
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby NGF » Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:16 pm

Swiv (has no ingame music)
Lotus 3
Double Dragon (has no ingame music)
Golden Axe
Leander (has no ingame music)
Super Cars II
Wolfchild
Zool
Wings of Death
Xenon 1
Chaos Engine :angel:
"4160" STE with Ultrasatan | Falcon 030 14MB with CF-reader | TT030 | STacy | 520STFM x 2 | 520ST x 2

MrMaddog
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby MrMaddog » Wed Mar 04, 2015 3:18 am

AtariZoll wrote:@MrMaddog:
Chaos Engine is good game and deserves it :D It still gives sound via PSG on STE, while uses STE HW scrolling. Pls. some advice about what audio theme(s) (song) to use ?
I must tell here that there will be not much of mods like this from me in (near) future. It takes lot of time to trace game code and find all places where need to add links, corrections.

Didn't want to go OT from Xenon 2 but since this thread is about using audio tracks in general, here's what I was thinking for Chaos Engine...

It's true the game used all STE features except for music which was a cop out... Playing the music from the drive would work except you won't get the dynamic atmospheric sounds like birds chriping in certain sections.

What also would nice is to bring back the vocal samples like "Players Actived" through the normal PSG chip (the samples are quite short). Other than that just keep the other ST sound effects because each version of the game has their own unique SFX.

Now this makes me wish I do have the assembly skills to do something like this....

MacFalcon
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby MacFalcon » Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:08 am

Nice music for Xenon2... My usual question: Will this work on Falcon, too :)

Anyway I like it and nice to see what would have been possible back then if harddiskspace was as cheap as today :)

Chris
Falcon060, 100/25 MHz, 256 MB SD-RAM, PhantomPBS, CTPCI with Radeon, USB and Network Card. atari rulez!

joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby joska » Wed Mar 04, 2015 11:25 am

AtariZoll wrote:Would like to hear some suggestions for game(s) for which good soundtrack, remix is DL-able.

Wizball is a great game with great title music. Lots of remixes around, have a look at youtube.
Jo Even

VanillaMiNT - Firebee - Falcon060 - Milan060 - Falcon040 - MIST - Mega ST - STM - STE - Amiga 600 - Sharp MZ700 - MSX - Amstrad CPC - C64

AtariZoll
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby AtariZoll » Wed Mar 04, 2015 7:46 pm

Fine - some nice games suggested. There will be what to do in long Winter nights ... Ops, Winter is gone :D
Wizball, Wizkid - worth of time, indeed.

Atari030
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Atari030 » Tue Jun 02, 2015 4:35 am

AtariZoll wrote:
Atari030 wrote:..
I was having a look through the list, any plans to do Millennium 2.2? One of the top 10 ST games IMHO.

It is done - helps if you switch to alphabetical sorting. If you meant with this type of audio track playback, then pls. give some clue what song, remix to use for background in Millennium 2.2 (what is one of my favorites) ?

A bit of topic, I've resurrected my MegaSTE and Syquest drive, loaded up Millennium 2.2 and not spelt for two nights. Thank you very much for doing the conversion. It is every bit as good as I remember. I'd think Oxygene would be an appropriate background track for that one. Many thanks, mate.

Askja
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby Askja » Fri Jun 12, 2015 11:23 am

woooooow !! It must to be cool to play !
I tried to download but it seems the host have some problems : "DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN"
Anyone have a link please ?
Greg. aka Pandafox from HMD aka Imperator from The Megabusters aka Askja from Toons :cheers:
Now https://www.behance.net/ufactory :twisted:

AtariZoll
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby AtariZoll » Fri Jun 12, 2015 1:20 pm

We moving to other server currently, so it is not accessible. Should be back soon.

catmando
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby catmando » Mon Nov 02, 2015 11:26 pm

Tried this for the first time tonight but getting 'Error in getting file location' on all versions except the original version.

Machine is STE with Tos 2.06, 4MB, HDDriver 8.13, alanh IDE adapter.

Any ideas?
Atari Falcon Tos 4.04 | 14mb | IDE CF 2GB
Atari STE Tos 1.62 | 4mb | HxC Slim SD 8GB
Atari STE Tos 1.62/2.06 | 4mb | Floppy A-B Mod | IDE SD 4GB
Atari STFM
Android Devices (Running Hataroid and SToid)

Atari Forum Wiki - Use it before asking

Sturm
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Sturm » Sun Jun 30, 2019 7:09 am

Got the same error too on my Falcon

Social Media

Return to “Games - General”