Pacmania STE - New Version

All about ST/STE games

Moderators: simonsunnyboy, Mug UK, Doctor Bob Gordon, ICS, Moderator Team

metalages
Atari freak
Atari freak

Re: Pacmania STE - New Version

Postby metalages » Tue Mar 01, 2016 2:15 pm

Cyprian wrote:actually, those "64 cycles" in BLIT mode (Non-HOG) aren't correct.
In case of MegaST/ and STE it is 260 CPU cycle interval - 252 cycles (63 BUS cycles) plus 8 cycles for bus mastering.
in case of MSTE it is 264 CPU cycles - 252 plus 12 bus mastering cycles.
And moreover, BLiTTER in BLIT mode can be slowed-down by a long CPU instruction, like MUL/DIV/bit shift ect.

Oups BUS cycles indeed :$
In case you are in HOG + force blitter restart to speed up blitting, you are sure you do not execute a long instruction.
But in case an interrupt happens (to remove the border) I suppose you have to stop the blitter and go on after... That does not sound so simple.

Cyprian
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Cyprian » Tue Mar 01, 2016 3:24 pm

true
Jaugar / TT030 / Mega STe / 800 XL / 1040 STe / Falcon030 / 65 XE / 520 STm / SM124 / SC1435
SDrive / PAK68/3 / CosmosEx / SatanDisk / UltraSatan / USB Floppy Drive Emulator / Eiffel / SIO2PC / Crazy Dots / PAM Net
Hatari / Aranym / Steem / Saint
http://260ste.appspot.com/

metalages
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby metalages » Tue Mar 01, 2016 5:25 pm

Cyprian wrote:true

Or maybe use the "vertical blit" approach ?
I guess it can be used for large transfers but not really suitable for sprites.

Cyprian
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Cyprian » Wed Mar 02, 2016 10:21 am

I have no idea what "vertical blit" is.
Jaugar / TT030 / Mega STe / 800 XL / 1040 STe / Falcon030 / 65 XE / 520 STm / SM124 / SC1435
SDrive / PAK68/3 / CosmosEx / SatanDisk / UltraSatan / USB Floppy Drive Emulator / Eiffel / SIO2PC / Crazy Dots / PAM Net
Hatari / Aranym / Steem / Saint
http://260ste.appspot.com/

Frank B
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Frank B » Wed Mar 02, 2016 2:48 pm

Cyprian wrote:I have no idea what "vertical blit" is.

Split the drawing into y vertical lines while using hog mode. That way you can choose the CPU/Blitter cycle distribution.

Ragstaff
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Ragstaff » Sun Sep 18, 2016 4:45 am

Made a quick video just now comparing to the original. Once again I must say this is great work, really appreciate playing a nice version on the STE!

Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Postby 607 » Sun Sep 18, 2016 10:33 am

I was playing for a little bit when I got a weird graphical glitch which made me pretty much unable to play without going crazy. It looked like part of all the graphics (I don't know how Atari graphics work) got moved to the right some pixels. It was kind of like I was playing in 3D without 3D glasses.
I'm not sure how to describe it, perhaps I should've taken a photograph.
Did anyone else experience this?
I'm playing on an STE.

qq1975b
Atari God
Atari God

Postby qq1975b » Sun Sep 18, 2016 5:57 pm

Which level?
Trying to learn...

Zamuel_a
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Zamuel_a » Wed Sep 21, 2016 10:32 am

Made a quick video just now comparing to the original. Once again I must say this is great work, really appreciate playing a nice version on the STE!

I see you run the 2013 version. The one I made 2015 also got shadows included.

I was playing for a little bit when I got a weird graphical glitch which made me pretty much unable to play without going crazy. It looked like part of all the graphics (I don't know how Atari graphics work) got moved to the right some pixels. It was kind of like I was playing in 3D without 3D glasses.
I'm not sure how to describe it, perhaps I should've taken a photograph.
Did anyone else experience this?
I'm playing on an STE.

This can happen on an STE sometimes when you do border removal stuff or hardware scrolling. It's the screen address that start from the wrong address or something so the bitplanes get corrupt. I don't know so much about why this happen but I have always got this once in a while when doing programming that deals with hardware scrolling or border removal.
ST / STFM / STE / Mega STE / Falcon / TT030 / Portfolio / 2600 / 7800 / Jaguar / 600xl / 130xe

AtariZoll
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby AtariZoll » Wed Sep 21, 2016 12:10 pm

It may be just that Timer-B interrupt happens during some instruction with very long execution time - like movem.l with many registers. Then code of that interrupt may start later than should, and result is glitch on screen (in Pole Position it happens all time).
It can be avoided at cost of little CPU time - activating first stage Timer-B IR 1-2 lines earlier, then executing just NOPS for 1-2 lines, while preparing second stage - setting Timer B counter to 1 or 2. It will be activated in shortest possible time then. Slowdown is max 1% .
Of course, in stage 2 comes original code .
I used this in Hard 'm' Heavy to assure proper switching from static upper part to scrolling middle part (version with STE HW fine scroll).
Negative feedback has usually positive effect.

troed
Atari God
Atari God

Postby troed » Wed Sep 21, 2016 12:16 pm

Zamuel_a wrote:This can happen on an STE sometimes when you do border removal stuff or hardware scrolling. It's the screen address that start from the wrong address or something so the bitplanes get corrupt. I don't know so much about why this happen but I have always got this once in a while when doing programming that deals with hardware scrolling or border removal.

I (probably) know exactly why it happens .. :P If it's a bitplane shift (which it sounds like) then it's due to not clearing the shifter when changing/having changed resolutions. If it happens in the middle of gameplay then it's due to code that sometimes take longer and delay some of your border opening switches so that they now end up happening when the Shifter is actively displaying graphics.

If it's persistent even though you open borders every VBL you need to either make sure your switches always happen with the proper timing or that you insert some "Shifter clearing" code at the end of each screen.

With all that said - do you change resolution (not frequency) in this game? I haven't tried it, but if you only open lower/top border then I wouldn't think so. And I wouldn't expect you to use sync scrolling either in STE code ..

/Troed

Zamuel_a
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Zamuel_a » Wed Sep 21, 2016 12:42 pm

In some occasions one frame can take longer than one VBI so I guess this is what cause the problem. It shouldn't happen so often and I can't really fix it either since the game take 100% CPU if all sprites are on screen at once.
ST / STFM / STE / Mega STE / Falcon / TT030 / Portfolio / 2600 / 7800 / Jaguar / 600xl / 130xe

troed
Atari God
Atari God

Postby troed » Wed Sep 21, 2016 12:49 pm

Zamuel_a wrote:In some occasions one frame can take longer than one VBI so I guess this is what cause the problem. It shouldn't happen so often and I can't really fix it either since the game take 100% CPU if all sprites are on screen at once.

Well ... do you change resolution during gameplay then? Only changing frequency for border opening shouldn't ... ah ...

... actually it can, if your top/bottom border removal code triggers line length changing positions. As an example, stopping a line at cycle 372 by being in 60Hz instead of at 376 will make that line one word shorter and can then cause a bitplane offset.

Words can survive in the Shifter between VBLs, but you can forceably "clear" them. The most well known way is to open the right border on the very last line and do a Level 16 style "closing the right border" (HI at cycle 444 and LO at cycle 456)

There are of course other ways.

/Troed

PilgrimSTE
Atarian
Atarian

Postby PilgrimSTE » Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:44 pm

Wonderful, thank you very much.
1 x Atari 800 XL | 1 x Atari 1040 STE 4 MB TOS 2.06

MIDIbro
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby MIDIbro » Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:11 am

will this not run on a usa ste?
1040 STe 4mb ram 2.06

Eero Tamminen
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Eero Tamminen » Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:40 pm

Tested STE in latest Hatari Mercurial version with US TOS 1.62, works fine.

Zamuel_a
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Zamuel_a » Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:19 am

It should work on a US machine but it must run in 50hz.

Social Media

Return to “Games - General”