All about ST/STE games

Moderators: simonsunnyboy, Mug UK, Doctor Bob Gordon, ICS, Moderator Team

npomarede
Atari God
Atari God

List of games with enhanced features on double sided drives

Postby npomarede » Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:23 pm

Hello

I'm looking for a list of games (or demos) that work on single sided drive (early STF models) but have additionnal features when used on a double sided drive.
As a start, we have :

Games with all data on the same double sided disk, instead of 2 or more single sided disks
This avoid swapping disks during the game. On double sided drive, only disk 1 will be used ; on single sided drive, disk 2 contains the content of the 2nd side of disk 1.
    - F29 Retaliator
    - Captive
Games with extra music, intro, ... :
    - Jumping Jack Son : during the intro, a sampled music is played if 2nd side can be read (by the way, does someone have a correct STX dump of the 2 sides of this game ?)
    - Union Demo : not a game, but this famous demo would play a sample in TCB1 screen if you had a double sided drive and 1 MB.

From some of my tests, it seems we sometimes have some bad STX version for the 1st case ; until recently, emulators supported only double sided drive, so it's possible disk 2 of F29 and Captive were not tested correctly, as they were never used during the game.
Once we have a list, it could be interesting to test those programs in single sided mode to see if everything is correct (either with latest Steem or with Hatari 1.8 (soon to be released))

Nicolas

Brume
Red eyes
Red eyes

Re: List of games with enhanced features on double sided dri

Postby Brume » Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:24 am

Another title with extra music on the second side of the first disk:
- Les Voyageurs du temps (aka Future Wars). It doesn't concern the first release of the game, which was single sided only. But the game was re-released and it features a soundtrack during the intro. The soundtrack is stored on the second side. If the drive is single sided only, the intro plays the soundchip tune.

AtariZoll
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby AtariZoll » Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:50 am

There is many with soundtrack on side B:
Carrier Command
Sarakon

Power Drift - on 3 floppies - with DS drive need no 3rd one, and will see pictures of drivers after start - they are on side B of floppy 1.
Floppy 2, Side B contains same as side A of floppy 3.
Famous Schrodinger's cat hypothetical experiment says that cat is dead or alive until we open box and see condition of poor animal, which deserved better logic. Cat is always in some certain state - regardless from is observer able or not to see what the state is.

Stefan jL
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Stefan jL » Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:54 am

The original release of Turbo Outrun comes on 3 disks but only the two first is used if you have a double sided drive, I have Turbo Outrun in the "Sega Master Mix" compilation and there so are all three disks single sided so there is much disk swapping even with double sided drive :x

Shadow Warriors show an animated intro if you have a double sided drive.

Gauntlet 2 show an animation if you have a double sided drive, at least the original release of Gauntlet 2 show that, if you got the game with the "power pack" or whatever the name was that was bundled with the Atari ST then it is lacking the animation since the disk is single sided only.

npomarede
Atari God
Atari God

Postby npomarede » Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:27 pm

Starray came to mind lately, with double sided drive it plays a sample during the intro similar to the Amiga version (but it's not a real soundtrack). Screen will flash green instead of red if second side is detected.

Does someone have a link to a version of Shadow Warriors with the extra animation ? The one from atarimania doesn't seem correct.

bod/STAX
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby bod/STAX » Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:44 pm

Stefan jL wrote:Shadow Warriors show an animated intro if you have a double sided drive.

I'm intrigued by this.

Are you talking about the title-screen animation?

I have an original boxed copy and that comes on three single sided disks and contains that animation.
So let it be written, So let it be done. I'm sent here by the chosen one.

Jake/Depression
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Jake/Depression » Fri Apr 18, 2014 2:00 am

I send 2-sides Shadow warriors pastis in Atarimania ftp some time ago.
-soimaamme toinen toista ja unohdamme tulta kohentaa-

Stefan jL
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Stefan jL » Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:46 am

bod/STAX wrote:I'm intrigued by this.

Are you talking about the title-screen animation?

I have an original boxed copy and that comes on three single sided disks and contains that animation.

Yes the animation with the running ninja and stuff.
Have you played it on a Atari ST with a single sided drive?

Social Media

Return to “Games - General”