Giana Sisters STE - New Game!

All about ST/STE games

Moderators: simonsunnyboy, Mug UK, Doctor Bob Gordon, ICS, Moderator Team

dma
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Re: Giana Sisters STE - New Game!

Postby dma » Sun Apr 06, 2014 2:49 pm

NGF wrote:Addams Family is an interesting case since the ST version it has something that the Amiga version lacks, backgrounds :lol: But the scroller is bad on ST and it has a small border on the left side.

Indeed also true that Addams Family would be amazing with STe scroll, also maybe fixing this one could help fixing of some other Ocean games (Elf, Blues Brothers, etc... - same routine i think).

nativ wrote:There is a part built Micro Machines engine already in existence, not too far from completion actually http://www.atarimania.com/game-atari-st ... 28675.html

I guess there are many difficult parts still to implement on this :
- drifting routine
- racetrack (path & boundaries detection) routine
- the Micromachines-gameplay specific "who's the last one behind and has to get out of the screen" routine - based on real racetrack path of course (otherwise it doesn't make much sense)

punkrulesok
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby punkrulesok » Sun Apr 06, 2014 2:56 pm

Thanks for this really nice update!

Surely, the biggest outstanding game to not receive a bit of love is Shadow of the beast! The ST version was probably the worst :(.

nativ
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby nativ » Sun Apr 06, 2014 3:00 pm

f030 wrote:
Zamuel_a wrote:Are there any other ST games that should be remade for STE? :wink:

1. chaos engine
It would be great with digi sound from the amiga, that's my dream for a long time

How about a Falcon upgrade ? there is the CD32 version and a PS one as well?? might have imagined that...
Atari STFM 512 / STe 4MB / Mega ST+DSP / Falcon 4MB 16Mhz 68882 - DVD/CDRW/ZIP/DAT - FDI / Jaguar / Lynx 1&2 / 7800 / 2600 / XE 130+SD Card // Sega Dreamcast / Mega2+CD2 // Apple G4

http://soundcloud.com/nativ ~ http://soundcloud.com/nativ-1 ~ http://soundcloud.com/knot_music
http://soundcloud.com/push-sounds ~ http://soundcloud.com/push-records

Zamuel_a
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Zamuel_a » Sun Apr 06, 2014 3:02 pm

There are many games out that for all you guys to convert :wink: It's ofcourse some work, but easier than creating a game from scratch.
ST / STFM / STE / Mega STE / Falcon / TT030 / Portfolio / 2600 / 7800 / Jaguar / 600xl / 130xe

dhedberg
Atari God
Atari God

Postby dhedberg » Sun Apr 06, 2014 3:31 pm

nativ wrote:
f030 wrote:
Zamuel_a wrote:Are there any other ST games that should be remade for STE? :wink:

1. chaos engine
It would be great with digi sound from the amiga, that's my dream for a long time

How about a Falcon upgrade ? there is the CD32 version and a PS one as well?? might have imagined that...

Yes! Falcon enhanced conversions of ST games would be neat! The number of colors could then be increased easily without palette switching techniques using the 8 bit plane mode instead of 4. Adding digi sound would be trivial as well.
Daniel, New Beat - http://newbeat.atari.org. Like demos? Have a look at our new Falcon030 demo and feel the JOY.

MrMaddog
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby MrMaddog » Sun Apr 06, 2014 3:32 pm

Steven Seagal wrote:
MrMaddog wrote:Edikt: Ok, think it's because Steem (even with UK TOS rom) runs at 60Hz while hatari runs at 50 Hz which Giana STE need...

You must do something wrong in the config, when I tried it worked fine at correct speed and I use TOS 1.06UK.

Ok...and where in the config file can I change the speed for it?

EvilFranky
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby EvilFranky » Sun Apr 06, 2014 3:53 pm

Falcon version of Chaos Engine would be immense, always wanted to see a 50hz version of that on the Falcon. Could easily rip the AGA graphics, and add MOD music, JagPad support...

Wish I knew what the hell I was doing otherwise I'd have taken it on :mrgreen:

f030
Atari User
Atari User

Postby f030 » Sun Apr 06, 2014 4:42 pm

EvilFranky wrote:Falcon version of Chaos Engine would be immense, always wanted to see a 50hz version of that on the Falcon. Could easily rip the AGA graphics, and add MOD music, JagPad support...

Wish I knew what the hell I was doing otherwise I'd have taken it on :mrgreen:

almost everything is here: http://bringerp.free.fr/RE/Ce/utility.php5
We need someone to do it. i am willing to pay

jackmoore
Atarian
Atarian

Postby jackmoore » Sun Apr 06, 2014 5:34 pm

Something amazing would be to have an enhanced Psygnosis Barbarian game that would be as good looking as the Amiga version, with smooth animations and scrolling :)

Anima
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Anima » Mon Apr 07, 2014 5:58 pm

Great work. Thanks for sharing. 8)

Cheers
Sascha

AtariCrypt
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby AtariCrypt » Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:12 pm

Absolutely excellent!!!! :D

MacFalcon
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby MacFalcon » Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:14 am

Excellent work! Runs very nice on Hataroid (Android Hatari).

Did anyone try it on a Falcon030? Would be cool if that ran, too!

I will check asap if noone else did, yet.

Cheers,

Chris
Falcon060, 100/25 MHz, 256 MB SD-RAM, PhantomPBS, CTPCI with Radeon, USB and Network Card. atari rulez!

AtariZoll
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby AtariZoll » Tue Apr 08, 2014 2:19 am

MacFalcon wrote:..
Did anyone try it on a Falcon030? Would be cool if that ran, too!
I will check asap if noone else did, yet.

I checked, and it fails because remains of game protection - not 68030 compat. + need to activate STE bus emul. before start. But later update allows not start on Falcon.
In any case, I say that this can work on Falcon, but work on VGA or 60 Hz RGB may be problematic. On 50 Hz (PAL) should work after few corrections.
Famous Schrodinger's cat hypothetical experiment says that cat is dead or alive until we open box and see condition of poor animal, which deserved better logic. Cat is always in some certain state - regardless from is observer able or not to see what the state is.

MacFalcon
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby MacFalcon » Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:52 am

Ok, I see... just got the "STE only" error a few moments ago... I will try it with backwards on the falcon... I hate using emulators when I have real hardware :(
Falcon060, 100/25 MHz, 256 MB SD-RAM, PhantomPBS, CTPCI with Radeon, USB and Network Card. atari rulez!

AtariZoll
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby AtariZoll » Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:00 am

Backward will not make it work. Wait little, and I will look to remove that protection remains and STE only check :wink:
Do you have monitor for 50 Hz refresh rate ?
Famous Schrodinger's cat hypothetical experiment says that cat is dead or alive until we open box and see condition of poor animal, which deserved better logic. Cat is always in some certain state - regardless from is observer able or not to see what the state is.

junosix
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby junosix » Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:53 pm

What an EXCELLENT conversion! Good work :D

Music sounds a bit different, maybe one octave higher than the original? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sr58eAozSM4

Hope this is worth a mention - with the cycle saving using shorter addresses to stop the flicker in an emulator that was mentioned in the thread earlier, is it possible that long addressing was also used in Pac-Mania where short addressing could be used instead? Maybe that's the thing that occasionally causes >100% CPU per frame and blanks the screen out? It's just a thought.
Last edited by junosix on Tue Apr 08, 2014 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mug UK
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mug UK » Tue Apr 08, 2014 2:44 pm

I ripped the music from the Giana Sisters remake on the NDS a few years ago. If someone needs them (Impulse Tracker format), I'll bung them up into a cloud account. Might make the classic tunes easier to recreate?

edit: DIdn't realise it was almost 4 years ago that I did the rip, but here it is. The file contains the original .MID files plus .DLS instruments plus the conversions to Impulse Tracker. Hope it's of some use.

https://copy.com/0munnjlGg3M7
My main site: http://www.mug-uk.co.uk - slowly digging up the bits from my past (and re-working a few): Atari ST, Sega 8-bit (game hacks) and NDS (Music ripping guide).

I develop a free Word (for Windows) add-in that's available for Word 2007 upwards. It's a fix-it toolbox that will allow power Word users to fix document errors. You can find it at: http://www.mikestoolbox.co.uk

HuggyOne76
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby HuggyOne76 » Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:02 pm

Just discover this GREAT version ! THANK YOU !!! My Atari is happy today ! :D

Zamuel_a
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Zamuel_a » Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:40 pm

Ok, I see... just got the "STE only" error a few moments ago... I will try it with backwards on the falcon... I hate using emulators when I have real hardware :(

If someone know what I can do to remove that stuff, I will be pleased to make it Falcon compatible. I have never programmed on the Falcon, but I have never got stuff I made myself to work directly on the falcon either. (blitter + hardware scrolling). It crasched immediately so are there something special that must be put into a regular STE program to make it work on Falcon?

Music sounds a bit different, maybe one octave higher than the original

Strange. I haven't touched that part of the code at all so it should be the same as the ST version.
ST / STFM / STE / Mega STE / Falcon / TT030 / Portfolio / 2600 / 7800 / Jaguar / 600xl / 130xe

Zamuel_a
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Zamuel_a » Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:50 pm

dma wrote:I noticed a little collision bug. The bullet goes through the pillar, when Giana is positioned exactly there :

I found this bug! :D It had nothing to do with my conversion and is the same in the original ST version (and probably the amiga version to).
The collision detection for shots is very simple made and not so accurate. It only checks if the bottom of the shot hit something and to distinguage between if it was a hit on a wall (explode) or floor (bounce) it checks the tile to the left of it (if the shot is going from left to right) to see if that was a solid or not. If it was a solid, it must have been a floor so bounce the shot. If it wasn't solid, when it was sky and the only possibility must have been that we shoot in a wall.
The problem happened if you got the floor bounce just at the same time as you should have hit a wall, then it didn't detect the wall hit and in the next check, the shot was so deep into the wall that the tile next to it was also solid and not sky, so it continues through the object.
A more clever way would have been to check both X and Y collisions to see were the hit came from. Maybe I will rewrite this part. :wink:

dhedberg
Atari God
Atari God

Postby dhedberg » Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:02 pm

Zamuel_a wrote:I have never programmed on the Falcon, but I have never got stuff I made myself to work directly on the falcon either.

I take it from your signature that you do own a Falcon though. You really should give it a try, it's a fun machine to program!
Daniel, New Beat - http://newbeat.atari.org. Like demos? Have a look at our new Falcon030 demo and feel the JOY.

Zamuel_a
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Zamuel_a » Wed Apr 09, 2014 4:52 am

I take it from your signature that you do own a Falcon though. You really should give it a try, it's a fun machine to program!

Yes I got one. I hadn't been using it in a few years and when I tried to start it up some time ago (wanted to test badMOOD :wink: ) it didn't really cooperate. I had to exchange the NVRAM and the harddisk and I also got hold of a 14Mb memory module so now it's working good :D

Marcer
Atarilegend
Atarilegend

Postby Marcer » Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:36 am

In level 1-2 in the end jump up on top the door and you get invisible. Bug?

Skickat från min C6903 via Tapatalk
- Atari ST/FM/E - Mega sTe - Portfolio - Falcon 030 FX 3 in 1 -- Atari 7800/Lynx/Jaguar -
- FTP... Ask for info
- Atari Legend (Games all-a-round)
- Paradize (Chip Music)
- Elite (Atari Softs)
- The Legion (Demos)
- Alive Maggie Team
_/|\_YM-RockerZ_/|\_

AtariZoll
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby AtariZoll » Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:06 pm

I tried yesterday evening little more to make it work on Falcon, but had no success, better said, it crashed in very early stage. Problems happen right at title pic and music play. It works only if CPU is set to 16MHz and caches off. But when click fire, it starts to fill screen with some crap starting at bottom.
Continued today, and find the main problem: there is nasty code (likely in original too) what causes bus error, and at that point crashes on Falcon.

Code: Select all

at $101AE
move.l  $78000,a1   * Missing #, or use lea
move.w  #$1F3F,d0
cls clr.l  (a1)+
dbf   d7,cls      * should be with d0

Most likely above is party of anti-cracker protection. After fixing it, and doing some other changes, it works on Falcon.
Must set Falcon in STE bus compatible mode, CPU to 16 MHz, both caches off. I did not deal with PMMU table (it will be overwritten) so, should move it to high RAM too, otherwise may expect errors in later stages. I removed HW test and writes to Vfreq. HW register ($FF820A).

Unfortunately, in middle of all this, my capture card died (used it over 12 years), so I can not attach screenshot. It works in RGB mode at 50 Hz almost for sure, and likely at 60 Hz too - but I was not able to test in lack of monitor for it, after capture card ended his serve of Atari community :D
Good thing is that it works even with VGA monitor attached. There are minor glitches at top - most likely when screen split happens. I think that Zamuel_a will be able to fix it ...
Here is Falcon fixed v. of alpha2 - I took freedom to name so second release :roll:
GGSF1.ZIP

Zamuel_a: ask in PM for further details about adding Falcon fix in game.
And I think that this will work well on Mega STE too, at first attempt. I was not able to test because died capture card.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Dal
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Dal » Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:29 pm

Nicely done PP! Thank you!
Mega"SST" 12, MegaSTE, STE: Desktopper case, IDE interface, UltraSatan (8GB + 512Mb) + HXC floppy emulator. Plus some STE's/STFM's

Social Media

Return to “Games - General”