R-Type Deluxe Development Restarted.

All about ST/STE games

Moderators: simonsunnyboy, Mug UK, Doctor Bob Gordon, ICS, Moderator Team

bod/STAX
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Re: R-Type Deluxe Development Restarted.

Postby bod/STAX » Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:50 am

A little bit of an update for you.

It's now possible to save multiple hiscores (5 in total to a save file) via the options menu. The only problem I now have
to sort out is that when using traps to load files and your swapping disks the traps don't re-read the FAT of the new disk
and so it attemps to load a file from disk that is not present. Is there an easy way to do a forced media change?

As for a HD compatible version :- It's now looking on the cards. The fact that you only load the game via AUTO folder
was an error on my part. I always double-clicked on the small boot .PRG from the auto folder which it seemed the
game didn't like and wouldn't boot the game any further. Copying the boot .PRG to the same directory as all the other
files and double-clicking on it works!!! (To me double clicking on a .PRG from the AUTO folder shouldn't make any
difference when all other files are in the root directory). Returning to GEM should be possible as well, it's just going
to be some fiddly re-coding to get this to work.

Still, gives me something to work on over the weekend.
So let it be written, So let it be done. I'm sent here by the chosen one.

Gryzor
Gryzorator
Gryzorator

Postby Gryzor » Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:02 am

Thanks for the update! So what is the overall status? :)
Reality is that, which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away. --P.K.Dick

.:.
http://gryzor.info

bod/STAX
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby bod/STAX » Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:02 pm

Gryzor wrote:Thanks for the update! So what is the overall status? :)

Well the game itself looks the same as the demo version I released at Christmas with the additional options menu feature.

I have been working on under-the-hood stuff to get the games speed increased as this was the main complaint with the
demo version.

Regarding future additions the game - I may impliment a couple of ideas I thought of yesterday, those being making the
game 9 stages in length instead of 8 - Why 9? Well the Master System Version has a bonus stage which I may include and
also add to the options menu the ability to play the first 4 stages in any order you want.

Zamuel_a
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Zamuel_a » Fri Mar 21, 2014 2:15 pm

Are you able to increase the speed for the sprites? There are alot of sprites on the screen on some locations so it seems to be a big task to be able to get it fast enough.
ST / STFM / STE / Mega STE / Falcon / TT030 / Portfolio / 2600 / 7800 / Jaguar / 600xl / 130xe

Gryzor
Gryzorator
Gryzorator

Postby Gryzor » Fri Mar 21, 2014 3:01 pm

Can someone share the link to that vid? I hadn't followed previous discussions...
Reality is that, which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away. --P.K.Dick

Eero Tamminen
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby Eero Tamminen » Fri Mar 21, 2014 7:25 pm

bod/STAX wrote:As for a HD compatible version :- It's now looking on the cards. The fact that you only load the game via AUTO folder
was an error on my part. I always double-clicked on the small boot .PRG from the auto folder which it seemed the
game didn't like and wouldn't boot the game any further. Copying the boot .PRG to the same directory as all the other
files and double-clicking on it works!!! (To me double clicking on a .PRG from the AUTO folder shouldn't make any
difference when all other files are in the root directory).

When AUTO folder program is run at boot by TOS, TOS does it from root directory. When you run a program from Desktop, current directory is the directory from which you run the program[1]. You should add path (as in "\FILENAME.EXT") to filenames you access from your program if you want to read them from the different directory than where you start the program.

Higher level OS calls like AES call to load RSC files, look into several directories.

nativ
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby nativ » Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:19 pm

Gryzor wrote:Can someone share the link to that vid? I hadn't followed previous discussions...

http://youtu.be/PBFfK_v_co0?feature=YouView
Atari STFM 512 / STe 4MB / Mega ST+DSP / Falcon 4MB 16Mhz 68882 - DVD/CDRW/ZIP/DAT - FDI / Jaguar / Lynx 1&2 / 7800 / 2600 / XE 130+SD Card // Sega Dreamcast / Mega2+CD2 // Apple G4

http://soundcloud.com/nativ ~ http://soundcloud.com/nativ-1 ~ http://soundcloud.com/knot_music
http://soundcloud.com/push-sounds ~ http://soundcloud.com/push-records

bod/STAX
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby bod/STAX » Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:34 pm

OK, After several hours (mostly swearing at my ST) I have now succeeded in getting the
game to boot from and return back to GEM perfectly so it should now be fully hard drive
compatible.

This should please quite a few people.

CiH
Atari God
Atari God

Postby CiH » Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:39 pm

OK, After several hours (mostly swearing at my ST) I have now succeeded in getting the
game to boot from and return back to GEM perfectly so it should now be fully hard drive
compatible.

This should please quite a few people.

:cheers:
"Where teh feck is teh Hash key on this Mac?!"

AtariZoll
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby AtariZoll » Sat Mar 22, 2014 8:58 am

Eero Tamminen wrote:When AUTO folder program is run at boot by TOS, TOS does it from root directory. When you run a program from Desktop, current directory is the directory from which you run the program[1]. You should add path (as in "\FILENAME.EXT") to filenames you access from your program if you want to read them from the different directory than where you start the program.

Higher level OS calls like AES call to load RSC files, look into several directories.

I don't think that usual game needs to load anything from some external directory. So, all files what it accessing should be addressed relative. This assures work from any directory on any partition.
Famous Schrodinger's cat hypothetical experiment says that cat is dead or alive until we open box and see condition of poor animal, which deserved better logic. Cat is always in some certain state - regardless from is observer able or not to see what the state is.

Eero Tamminen
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby Eero Tamminen » Sat Mar 22, 2014 12:13 pm

AtariZoll wrote:I don't think that usual game needs to load anything from some external directory. So, all files what it accessing should be addressed relative. This assures work from any directory on any partition.

AUTO folder program could change directory to drive root if it doesn't find (first) file from current directory, just in case it's run from desktop, not at boot. And then access again works relatively.

AtariZoll
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby AtariZoll » Sat Mar 22, 2014 1:52 pm

I don't think that it is full relative access. Then you must place SW in some subdir what is in ROOT. Relative means any DIR, anywhere, any level.
And nice thing is actually, that it is simplest to give relative file, dir. for file access. You need only SOMEFILE.HUH or SOMEDIR\SOMEFILE.HAH :D
Famous Schrodinger's cat hypothetical experiment says that cat is dead or alive until we open box and see condition of poor animal, which deserved better logic. Cat is always in some certain state - regardless from is observer able or not to see what the state is.

Gryzor
Gryzorator
Gryzorator

Postby Gryzor » Sat Mar 22, 2014 5:15 pm

Just watched the vid. Wow. Thanks for doing this, man...

Only remark I have, apart from the aforementioned slow-down, is that maybe the sfx channel could be at a bit lower volume so the tune is heard through... It's especially noticeable at the beginning of the video where you're shooting like mad and music doesn't come through.

Again, thanks. Awesomeness!

bod/STAX
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby bod/STAX » Sat Mar 22, 2014 5:59 pm

Gryzor wrote:Only remark I have, apart from the aforementioned slow-down, is that maybe the sfx channel could be at a bit lower volume so the tune is heard through... It's especially noticeable at the beginning of the video where you're shooting like mad and music doesn't come through.

This may be down to how the video was captured.

The main complaint I had when I added the sfx was they were too quiet. Gwem was kind enough to send me code so the microwire turns down the YM sound to the same
level as the DMA chip's sound level so you have to turn up the sound on the TV to hear things at the right volume. In other words both the DMA chip and YM chip's
volume level's are level.

Stefan jL
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Stefan jL » Sat Mar 22, 2014 6:36 pm

Yes i did use an STE that i had modified the sound circuit on.. it is basically bypassing the LMC so it does not alter the volume and the volume mixing has to be done manually in my sound circuit :)
I will make a note in the video description mentioning this, and next time i record videos i will use my other (unmodified) STE once i changed the DMA chip so it can reads disks at all and not destroy anything i put into it.

Gryzor
Gryzorator
Gryzorator

Postby Gryzor » Sat Mar 22, 2014 6:37 pm

Ah ok then; it doesn't matter really, the end result would be better, IMO, if both sfx and the music shone through, that's all :)

catmando
Atari God
Atari God

Postby catmando » Wed Jan 07, 2015 8:30 am

Any updates on this?
Atari Falcon Tos 4.04 | 14mb | IDE CF 2GB
Atari STE Tos 1.62 | 4mb | HxC Slim SD 8GB
Atari STE Tos 1.62/2.06 | 4mb | Floppy A-B Mod | IDE SD 4GB
Atari STFM
Android Devices (Running Hataroid and SToid)

Atari Forum Wiki - Use it before asking

AtariCrypt
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby AtariCrypt » Sun Jan 18, 2015 10:33 am

catmando wrote:Any updates on this?

Yeah I want more on this now also :-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7RYUt5R9g7I

Bod:
"Yes I am!!! All ingame soundchip is completed (Thanks to DMA-SC) and I have a second gfx artist onboard - Templeton (His gfx are really excellent)."
Eager Beaver me :D Love it.

AtariCrypt
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby AtariCrypt » Sun Apr 26, 2015 2:53 pm

:megaphone: Bod ... bump!! Update man, come on!

Cheers mate, STEve.

Strider
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Strider » Sat Aug 15, 2015 7:38 pm

I can't wait STNICCC to see the full version :)

BTW where can I download the game demo?
Strider from MJJ Prod
May the TOS be with you!

BoNuS
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby BoNuS » Fri Dec 25, 2015 7:44 pm

http://www.stniccc.com/ and then look at 2015 for download :)
My game is also there :)

Nice releases at STNICCC 2015 !
http://bonus.home.xs4all.nl/
( I have just to much Atari stuff)

Social Media

Return to “Games - General”