All about ST/STE games

Moderators: simonsunnyboy, Mug UK, ICS, Doctor Bob Gordon, Moderator Team

galax
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Re: ST/STE games with bugs

Postby galax » Tue Jul 15, 2014 3:07 pm

(From memory)

North & South: If you play on keyboard, you are able to move your cannon while it is 'charging up'. Neither the computer player or a human on joystick can do this. This is a huge advantage for the keyboard player, and in a 2-player game the player on keys would have to agree not to do this.

Super Sprint: Sometimes, if you crash in a specific place, the helicopter will drop you in a place where you instantly crash, and there's no way to get out of that loop.

In Kick Off, KO2, often it is possible to deflect a ball at 45 degrees to its direction of travel after you had lost control of it. We used to refer to this as "throwing the boot", as it looked a bit like you had thrown something at the ball. It looks weird bit I wouldn't want this fixed as it becomes part of the game.

Karateka: it was easy to beat every opponent by backing up and low kicking every time they got near you. This made the game trivially easy to complete.

I don't remember Wizball crashing- I completed it several times too. Could be a TOS or copy protection problem?

thothy
Hatari Developer
Hatari Developer

Postby thothy » Fri Jul 25, 2014 4:24 pm

Impossible Mission II has a glitch that allows you to continue playing after the time is up.
To exploit this bug, you've got to die in a certain room where's a step at the lower left entry.
I made a video here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvUlwzE6_p0

atarian90
Atari User
Atari User

Postby atarian90 » Sun Jul 27, 2014 7:07 am

Gauntlet II - Don't teleport two players at the same time; otherwise, they will end up on top of each other and then they are stuck. The other players cannot move on to the next screen because of the two stuck players. Very frustrating when playing with 4 players!

For some reason, I thought D-Bug would fix that in their hack, but it popped up again at the last Atari Party. I remember at least twice that people had to reset the machine because of this nasty bug. It didn't make the ST look very good to say the least... :(

NGF
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby NGF » Sun Jul 27, 2014 7:13 am

I have played Gauntlet II many times 2 player but i have never seen this, maybe it only happens when you have more than 2 players?
"4160" STE with Ultrasatan | Falcon 030 14MB with CF-reader | TT030 | STacy | 520STFM x 2 | 520ST x 2

dlfrsilver
Atari God
Atari God

Postby dlfrsilver » Thu Aug 25, 2016 7:45 pm

AtariZoll wrote:There is more ...
From head:
Dyter-07 - because bug in code and/or data it will crash at final level (talking about original, not some crack) .
Iron Lord - impossible to finish last level . Additionally Action 16 release has corrupted file, so can not continue after winning battle.

Dyter-07 is using a very competent copy protection, where the code is ridden with tons of checksum checks, as well as two protections check (disguised as fake Interrupt) !

If those are not removed correctly, the volcano level crash, you get random bugs. The whdload coder on the amiga version needed many hours to remove all this junk.

I'm pretty sure the ST and Amiga use the same protection system.
Now SPS France representative since the 19th of June 2014. Proud to be an SPS member !

bonesthugs
Atarian
Atarian

Postby bonesthugs » Fri Aug 26, 2016 12:11 am

Crash at the end of level 4 stage 2 for Turrican!Impossible to continue the game!Even with the las update of Steem SSE 3.8.2.Only one rom work perfectly with Hataroid emulator.A stix rom.But not work with Steem SSE!I'm disapointed.(i have tested 3 st diferrent rom with each time the same problem at the level 4 stage 2>>>>bugs ans crash).
Last edited by bonesthugs on Mon Sep 12, 2016 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AtariZoll
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby AtariZoll » Fri Aug 26, 2016 2:32 pm

dlfrsilver wrote:Dyter-07 is using a very competent copy protection, where the code is ridden with tons of checksum checks, as well as two protections check (disguised as fake Interrupt) !
If those are not removed correctly, the volcano level crash, you get random bugs. The whdload coder on the amiga version needed many hours to remove all this junk.
I'm pretty sure the ST and Amiga use the same protection system.

It is not protection and is not random. I spent lot of time on it, and made override for bug, so can finish it. Problem appears when play in Steem from STX image too.
Famous Schrodinger's cat hypothetical experiment says that cat is dead or alive until we open box and see condition of poor animal, which deserved better logic. Cat is always in some certain state - regardless from is observer able or not to see what the state is.

Stefan jL
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Stefan jL » Sat Apr 07, 2018 6:29 pm

Utopia - The first BGM play fine until it loops and then the music sound like different channels are out of sync... and it gets worse over time :)

Social Media

Return to “Games - General”