Moderators: simonsunnyboy, Mug UK, Doctor Bob Gordon, ICS, Moderator Team

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Re: Never Ported respectively released for ST

Postby wongck » Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:20 pm

Z: Steel Soldiers
by the Famous Bitmap Brothers.
My Stuff: FB/Falcon CT63+CTPCI_ATI_RTL8139 14+512MB 30GB HDD CF HxC_SD/ TT030 68882 4+32MB 520MB Nova/ 520STFM 4MB Tos206 SCSI
Shared SCSI Bus:ScsiLink ethernet, 9GB HDD,SD-reader @ http://phsw.atari.org
My Atari stuff for sale - click here for list

Dizzy-WEWRF
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby Dizzy-WEWRF » Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:50 pm

After reading the
mentioned forum
exactly there must be an ST Version somewhere

So Question : Who has the Floppy Image ;) ?
Anyone Information on the Game ?

It must be so because they diskuss to port a ST version
to Amiga and
hear the drumm tada ....

they
show the ST Sprite and Logik pictures

I added the File with the Grafiks found in the other Forum
to this Post

So long Dizzy :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Everything will become well :)

bod/STAX
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby bod/STAX » Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:27 pm

Off the top of my head Contra/Gryzor. I beleve it was advertised as available for Atari ST/Amiga but never made it. :(
So let it be written, So let it be done. I'm sent here by the chosen one.

BARRY
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby BARRY » Wed Jan 20, 2016 1:09 am

Myth (system 3)
Sensible world of soccer
Secret of monkey island 2
Walker
Lamboughini Challenge
Chuck Rock 2
Aquatic Games
Billy the kid (only because it was advertised so heavily!)
Gryzor
Escape from Colditz
Zool 2
Sonic the Hedgehog
Flashback
Combat School
Championship Manager 2
Track and Field
Super Mario Bros

All of these must have been developed to some degree, and some must have been quite far before being canned.

EstTeeEfEm
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby EstTeeEfEm » Wed Jan 20, 2016 5:32 pm

Flashback was dropped very soon into dev, if any dev even took place, there is a whole thread on FB and the possibility of an ST version (which is where i took my info)... be warned though, it starts to deteriorate into an "i know more than you" thread so..

you say dev started? aside from magazines how do you know this if you dont mind me asking?

catmando
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby catmando » Wed Jan 20, 2016 11:32 pm

I would like this thread if the table was better organised and wasn't so unreadably small?

A simple 2 or 3 column list would suffice

Name of game | Platform it appeared on | Links
Atari Falcon Tos 4.04 | 14mb | IDE CF 2GB
Atari STE Tos 1.62 | 4mb | HxC Slim SD 8GB
Atari STE Tos 1.62/2.06 | 4mb | Floppy A-B Mod | IDE SD 4GB
Atari STFM
Android Devices (Running Hataroid and SToid)

Atari Forum Wiki - Use it before asking

dlfrsilver
Atari God
Atari God

Postby dlfrsilver » Fri Jan 22, 2016 11:05 am

Dizzy-WEWRF wrote:
to be continued ....

Postby nativ » Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:58 am
Wec Le Mans

http://oceanexp.proboards.com/index.cgi ... thread=355
http://amr.abime.net/review_15973

Ocean France, I did find some graphics for this a while back, I think the arcade machine is 68k based as well.

Code: Select all

║  Game        ║                                 
        ╠══════════════╬══════════════════════════════════╬════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗
        ║              ║              Not released for ST ║ yes not released                                   ║
        ║ WEC_Le_Mans  ╠══════════════════════════════════╬════════════════════════════════════════════════════╣
        ║     24       ║         Released for (Plattform) ║ Arcade, Amstrad CPC, Commodore 64, MSX, ZX Spectrum║
        ║    aka       ╠══════════════════════════════════╬════════════════════════════════════════════════════╣
        ║              ║         Media Format Released on ║ Different                                          ║
        ║  Vrooooom    ╠══════════════════════════════════╬════════════════════════════════════════════════════╣
        ║     aka      ║                 Information Link ║ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WEC_Le_Mans           ║
        ║              ╠══════════════════════════════════╬════════════════════════════════════════════════════╣
        ║  TheOcean    ║                IMAGES Link       ║ DKNJ                                               ║
        ║ Experience   ╠══════════════════════════════════╬════════════════════════════════════════════════════╣
        ║     aka      ║  Note : http://oceanexp.proboards.com/index.cgi ... thread=355                        ║
        ║              ║         http://amr.abime.net/review_15973                                             ║                                                       
        ║ OCEAN France ║                                                                                       ║
        ║              ║                                                                                       ║
        ╠══════════════╬══════════════════════════════════╬════════════════════════════════════════════════════╣
        ║██████████████║██████████████████████████████████║████████████████████████████████████████████████████║
        ╠══════════════╬══════════════════════════════════╬════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

Hi

WEC_Le_Mans 24

aka Vrooooom
aka TheOcean Experience
aka OCEAN France

Isn't there a game called Vroooom for the atari too
wich would men
there would be a st version of this
like they suggest in this forum too
http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=32651
or did you mean something else
or did I get here something wrong
with this ?
Are they different though ?

So are there now ST Versions and Amiga Versions or not ?

Any Ideas on this ?

Please
proove the actual
table state as posted
above ***

to be continued
Dizzy

Question : So are there now ST Versions and Amiga Versions or not ?
Please look here and proof this : http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=32651
Please proof the actual table state as posted above *** (in this post - three asterix)

To complete the base of discussion
a little screenshot

to proof aswell (Wec Le Mans.gif)

So long Dizzy :)

Yes, Wec le Mans for ST/Amiga was currently a job of Ocean France. I got the ST graphics from Philippe Dessoly (aka Golgoth71), which sent me his developement ST disks. I then transfered the whole thing and posted them on EAB for posterity.

I have explained clearly on EAB that there was no code, only GFX.

PS : What you call Mortville Mannor 2 is actually Maupiti Islands, which was released first on Atari ST.
Now SPS France representative since the 19th of June 2014. Proud to be an SPS member !

lostdragon
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby lostdragon » Sat Jan 30, 2016 8:21 pm

Adding to the list:

System 3's The Last Ninja, which appeared at 1 point to be 1040STFM and on a lot of disks.Mark Cale was asked about it, never replied :-(

Dan Dare:Pilot Of The Future-previewed in C+VG

Cardiaxx (under original publisher, Electronic Zoo)

lostdragon
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby lostdragon » Sat Jan 30, 2016 8:22 pm

This lot are all from the little 'interview' i did with Douglas Little:

* Formula 1 Racer (Atari ST, Amiga 500). ICEsoft, sometime around '90-'91.
This was a prototype which never matured into a game. It used a combination
of polygon scenery and a more classic road representation (e.g. Outrun)
with the expected alternating red/white track borders, and 2D sprites for
vehicles etc. There are some screenshots from the ST version somewhere on
AF, from a year or two back when I dug up a test disk.

* FutFut & Bobby (Amiga 500, Atari STE). ICEsoft, probably '92. Again
screenshots can be found on AF. Largely horizontal (really, 8-way) scroller
involving platform-oriented world with small cartoon vehicle which could
drive on varying gradients, jump gaps and areas of water etc. Collecting
pickups etc. Developed into prototype/demo on Amiga, STE but terminated due
to lack of publisher interest.

lostdragon
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby lostdragon » Sat Jan 30, 2016 8:22 pm

World Cup '92 on ST/Amiga

While making the P.O.C for this project, I remember we had the arcade box sitting in the office (which was generally the way we converted arcade games - playing, watching and recording the originals to VHS and replaying over and over!). In this case I was listening to the title music many, many times and creating a 4-channel tracker MOD file, note-by-note, entirely by ear using some ST tracker software. Once the music had been 'cloned' by ear, it was played back on both 16bit machines by the best means available on each (Paula on Amiga, YM+scan sync on ST). The titles themselves (mostly big text characters in lots of colours) were represented using palette switching tricks while the music was playing. By doing this it ended up pretty close to the arcade.

lostdragon
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby lostdragon » Sat Jan 30, 2016 8:23 pm

More from Doug:

F1GP arcade machine conversion to Atari ST, Amiga 500. ICEsoft again, '92-93. (different from the Formula 1 Racer project, which was more sprite based - this one was pure filled polygons like the arcade). We tendered for the contract but didn't get it. There was a small tech demo for this but less well progressed than 'Formula 1 Racer', because we didn't have as much time on it.

lostdragon
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby lostdragon » Sat Jan 30, 2016 8:25 pm

And perhaps more importantly - World Cup '92 (I think it was 92!) arcade conversion for Amiga 500, Atari ST. ICEsoft again. This was actually pretty advanced in terms of technical progress - playfield with fine grass textures, shadows, sprites, good scrolling speed on both platforms. Titles & music in the demo. Most of the mechanics. The football logic however was missing (i.e. the important bit) and IIRC the contract was never closed so it died.

DISCLAIMER: As i hope folks on here will be aware, these are not intended as a 'I know more than you' type set of posts, i just do a lot of lost games research in my spare time for likes of Unseen64/GTW and did a whole heap for ST Gamer Vol 1 and Volume 2.

lostdragon
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby lostdragon » Sat Jan 30, 2016 8:32 pm

Titus Software's superb looking Action Concept games (Commando War previewed in Zero Magazine the WW2 Scenario as it were) would of covered:

WW2, Azteca era, Viking era and Battle Of Trafalgar.

Psygnosis Cutipoo, AKA Dr Mallet And The Tribbles, never got further than just a demo of cartoon graphics, no game as such.Mega Drive and PC Engine versions also said to of been planned.

Ocean had Guerrilla War in development on the ST, it apparently got quite far, was showing real promise, but developers abandonded it, or so the claim goes.....

Sabre Wulf (Rare) was meant to of been up and running on 16 Bit home micro's, Knightlore also planned, but Tony Cavanagh been quoted as saying games were best left on the ZX Spectrum....

Paul Woakes (Mercenary Fame) apparently had a 3D version of Asteriods running, called Skeltar, but could'nt work a decent game into the impressive 3D engine.....

lostdragon
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby lostdragon » Sat Jan 30, 2016 8:34 pm

Scavenger (Hewson), looked great, but despite several reworkings of the game mechanics, could'nt get into a playable enough state, canned.

, Adrain Cummings, who i had an email exchange with, had started on the graphics for ST+Amiga versions of:

Beach Head, Raid Over Moscow and Beach Head 2, but work was abandoned after it seemed the publisher, US Gold, was'nt really all that serious about getting the games out after all....

Will Harbison told me he had been working on an isometric Simpsons game for Ocean on ST/Amiga...

lostdragon
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby lostdragon » Sat Jan 30, 2016 8:43 pm

In Oct’88, Linel were previewing/hyping up a strategy game called CROWN, which was leading the way on ST, but with Amiga+PC versions to follow.It was claimed to be the 1st strategy game to provide detailed graphics spread over 16 screens with 56 colours on-screen (on the ST, so clever coding tricks employed no doubt).You could conquer cities, rule lands, fight off invaders, establish trade routes or just turn to crimne and loot passing trade caravans.From the single impressive looking screen i’ve seen it looked very different to Kaiser, a strategy game they did release, so at this point it does appear to be yet another overlooked Lost (ST) Game and a promising one at that.

lostdragon
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby lostdragon » Sat Jan 30, 2016 8:52 pm

Other than that:

Ancient Mariner:

http://richardjdare.com/blog/2013/11/lo ... t-mariner/

Claims Palace were considering converting Hostile Breed to the ST, if Amiga sales were strong enough, but Palace sadly went under, rest as they say was history...

There have been claims Ocean were converting Green Beret to the ST etc, but i've yet to be able to confirm this.

Billy The Kid was supposed to of reached a playable stage, but was heavily bugged....

Ocean were supposed to of had Imagitec working on a 3rd Nightbreed game (an RPG)....

lostdragon
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby lostdragon » Sat Jan 30, 2016 9:03 pm

Another Linel title, Solaria, supposed to be based on a Mayan Legend..game was supposedly an ancient Aztec Sport, 2 opponents manoeurve floating spheres past each other until all the spheres have landed behind one.Acrobatic leaps were the key to winning, along with careful management of your energy to control the spheres and your moves.Supposedly down for late 1988 release, but 1st and last i personally heard of it.

Down for ST and Amiga.

:-( Sorry for SLEW of posts, but didn't want wall of text, plus this is the result of months of hard work, all info obtained for the community, not to make myself a few bob, or to claim i'm an expert on, just thought it'd be great to have it all added to any historical works going on.

lostdragon
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby lostdragon » Sat Jan 30, 2016 9:07 pm

Extra content from my Classic Console chat with Simon Butler:

Ross:  What became of the ST Tube-Shooting game you and Jon Gibson
were working on?

Simon: The Tube Shooter? Hmm I only have the vaguest of recollections regarding this but I think we were going to attempt a kind of fake 3D. It might have been inspired by something I’d seen in the arcades or just one of my mad ramblings from that period, who
knows?

I used to throw out ideas on a daily basis, ideas cost nothing. I should imagine that the reason behind it never seeing the light of day was most probably due to the fact that Atari just dropped our development team like a hot brick after a while.

They were never the best of clients, unreliable if I remember rightly.  Sorry I can’t shed any more light on things, but it was a very long time ago and not quite as memorable as the Ocean days.

Greyfox™
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Greyfox™ » Sat Jan 30, 2016 9:16 pm

There enough info there to created mini magazine along with screenshot, again, amazing block replacements of the missing links of Atari ST Games, thanx to your efforts, it seem anyone planning on doing future or article work on such a subject, should either contact you directly or resight to these posts for factual elements to piece things together, rather than the one sided unresearched I've been reading recently.

This is a juggnaugt of great ST facts from everyone here, this is a great threat, would love to a video on stuff like this, but it would be a tough nut to crack.

Keep up the wonderful work fellas :)
↓↓Click Banner to See More↓↓
-== Making Atari great once more ==-

lostdragon
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby lostdragon » Sat Jan 30, 2016 10:52 pm

As you can see from what Simon Butler said, Greyfox, as the years pass, it gets harder and harder to find exactly what happened to....

Some remember things in more detail than others, some projects are simply far too painful for people to talk about, even now as they invested a lot of time, resources into projects, only too see them pulled for reasons beyond their control, people ended up not getting paid etc etc.

Which has made me all the more grateful to those in the industry that were kind enough to give of their time to chat with me over email, regarding long forgotten projects.

It doesn't make myself or others experts, we were just luckily enough to find those willing to chat.

:-)

lostdragon
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby lostdragon » Sat Jan 30, 2016 11:04 pm

:-)

I doubt anyone planning any Lost ST Game feature/s, be they in print or a video collection, would really seek the likes of myself out.Why would they?.

All the information needed in terms of who worked on what...has been shared here and countless other places by myself, simple enough to do any follow-up contact with the industry folk, it's not exactly C.S.I finding these things, little more than a realible internet connection and industry folks having the time to chat.

It would be nice to be credited for any material used, as it did take time to aquire, but hey, it's the internet, people will and indeed do, take material, pass it off as their findings...

My sins are many, but i do try to ensure the info is direct from source where ever possible and if i'm using a Magazine claim, i stress it is just that....

As to wether folks want to believe what they are reading....well, that's a story for another day :-)

dlfrsilver
Atari God
Atari God

Postby dlfrsilver » Sun Jan 31, 2016 2:45 pm

lostdragon wrote:Titus Software's superb looking Action Concept games (Commando War previewed in Zero Magazine the WW2 Scenario as it were) would of covered:

WW2, Azteca era, Viking era and Battle Of Trafalgar.

Psygnosis Cutipoo, AKA Dr Mallet And The Tribbles, never got further than just a demo of cartoon graphics, no game as such.Mega Drive and PC Engine versions also said to of been planned.

Ocean had Guerrilla War in development on the ST, it apparently got quite far, was showing real promise, but developers abandonded it, or so the claim goes.....

Sabre Wulf (Rare) was meant to of been up and running on 16 Bit home micro's, Knightlore also planned, but Tony Cavanagh been quoted as saying games were best left on the ZX Spectrum....

Paul Woakes (Mercenary Fame) apparently had a 3D version of Asteriods running, called Skeltar, but could'nt work a decent game into the impressive 3D engine.....

Guerrilla War was sub-contracted by Prestasoft for Ocean France, the ST coder was Alain DeVitte.
Now SPS France representative since the 19th of June 2014. Proud to be an SPS member !

lostdragon
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby lostdragon » Sun Jan 31, 2016 4:11 pm

Much appreciate the info.At least that's 1 UK Mag claim that rang true and we have a genuine lost ST Game.

Greyfox spotted an 8 Bit game by Gremlin Graphics advertised as ST:

http://forums.atari.io/index.php/topic/ ... ter/page-2

But as i explained in my posts, i personally think the mauling it recieved by the press put paid to any plans for an ST version, unless someone on here knows more?.

lostdragon
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby lostdragon » Mon Feb 01, 2016 4:04 pm

Had an email in regarding certain insights as to why we sadly never saw ST Myth finished and released.

I'm not going to name names or go into detail, as info was given in confidence, but my understanding shall we say of why the games industry suffers from so many promising titles reaching the stage of being so close to completion, yet sadly never being finished, has been increased by a further degree and it's no wonder people often don't want to chat about Lost Games :-(.

Social Media

Return to “Games - General”