All about ST/STE games

Moderators: simonsunnyboy, Mug UK, Doctor Bob Gordon, ICS, Moderator Team

Marcer
Atarilegend
Atarilegend

Re: Never Ported respectively released for ST

Postby Marcer » Sat Oct 15, 2016 9:31 pm

Hi

One strange issue is silmarils. They Went bankrupt a bank took all rights and stuff. How is it possible to get in touch With the person With the stuff. Since im a ishar fan. And was very exhaus of ishar 4 for jaguar. How to trace it?
- Atari ST/FM/E - Mega sTe - Portfolio - Falcon 030 FX 3 in 1 -- Atari 7800/Lynx/Jaguar -
- FTP... Ask for info
- Atari Legend (Games all-a-round)
- Paradize (Chip Music)
- Elite (Atari Softs)
- The Legion (Demos)
- Alive Maggie Team
_/|\_YM-RockerZ_/|\_

lostdragon
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby lostdragon » Sun Oct 16, 2016 12:05 am

Marcer wrote:Hi

One strange issue is silmarils. They Went bankrupt a bank took all rights and stuff. How is it possible to get in touch With the person With the stuff. Since im a ishar fan. And was very exhaus of ishar 4 for jaguar. How to trace it?

Cyrill from Simarlis confirmed Jaguar Isham III was complete I believe, but a straight port from Falcon, no enhancements made...

Ishar 4 I thought never got any further than inital concept art..but I've never looked into it in depth as never played any of the series myself..

I would of loved to of seen Simarlis Atari Lynx version of Metal Mutant though.

If the banks took everything, all code etc, it's doubtful coders, artists who worked on games would be able to help, it sadly might be lost forever, so much has gone this way :'(

lostdragon
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby lostdragon » Wed Nov 23, 2016 8:53 pm

Paul Shirley, did at least PLAN an Atari ST version of Spindizzy (Electric Dreams) but these were sadly shelved (we did at least get
Spindizzy Worlds on ST)....

Paul was also said to be a big fan of Atari's I, Robot Coin-op...

lostdragon
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby lostdragon » Thu Jan 19, 2017 5:12 pm

Ok, this is an ST Format quote, so salt shakers on standby:

They had a quote, said to be from Millenium's Ian Saunter, saying James Pond III:Operation Starfish had been converted to the St. it only took a few months, but as the scrolling wasn't upto scratch, they decided not to release it.

As for Litil Divil, yep, since found interview with 1 of original team, ST version would of clocked in at around 16 disks, ST long dead by time it would of been finished so canned.

lostdragon
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby lostdragon » Sun Mar 12, 2017 12:25 am

Regarding Steve Bak/ST Fright Night:

He was interviewed in ST Format magazine, talked openly of Microdeal wanting the AMIGA version 1st and to be as good as possible, so he was doing the game with 32 colour backgrounds, large sprites...100 by 64 pixels, animated at 25 Hz.

He said he didn't fancy an ST conversion, as that would mean a total re-write and he didn't fancy the challange, but hoped Tim Purves in the USA might be willing to convert it to the ST.

Steve did say the ST version was started back in the Summer of 1987.

lostdragon
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby lostdragon » Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:39 am

Few more from ST Format:

Flashback was mentioned as simply not coming for the ST.

Regarding: Secret Of Monkey Island 2-PR lady, Danielle W... ("Woody")..is quoted as saying it was 'Virtually impossible to convert (to the standard STFM i assume by her comments...)....you would need a higher spec machine than the ST.'

Slim pickings, but thought i'd add them.

dlfrsilver
Atari God
Atari God

Postby dlfrsilver » Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:53 pm

lostdragon wrote:Few more from ST Format:

Flashback was mentioned as simply not coming for the ST.

I have posted on AF regarding this, the external studio asked for converting the game from the Amiga to ST just slapped a "No, that's too much burden for a result not up to the requirements".

Regarding: Secret Of Monkey Island 2-PR lady, Danielle W... ("Woody")..is quoted as saying it was 'Virtually impossible to convert (to the standard STFM i assume by her comments...)....you would need a higher spec machine than the ST.'

Slim pickings, but thought i'd add them.

MI2 requires a 68030 to run correctly. It runs well on an A500 with 1,5mb of ram, hard drive and a 68020 on accelerator card at minima. On a normal A500 the game runs at 5 fps.

The best machine to run this beautiful game is an A1200 with a hard drive.
Now SPS France representative since the 19th of June 2014. Proud to be an SPS member !

lostdragon
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby lostdragon » Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:49 pm

Sadly going off UK Press claims once again, but a few more:

Mindscape had said it wasn't technically possible to do Wing Commander on the ST, due to lack of colours and no hardware support to move sprites etc around, it wasn't even worth trying.

Mike singleton was supposed to of been working on a post-holocaust game by name of Survivor, 1 sub-game finished, but game was shelved so he could finish Midwinter.

Palace Software showed off screens of Complex' which they described as Police Academy meets Monty Python.

lostdragon
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby lostdragon » Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:25 pm

Anything ever become of the following from Ubisoft? (all annouced for the ST):

Light Quest (an arcade adventure) based on French Comic Art.

Joe The Monkey (platformer)

Star Rush-supposed to be a rock hard shoot em up featuring huge sprites, lots of parallax scrolling (think ST version unless STE, might of seen some comprimises...)

I only ever saw the smallest of previews then nothing...

dlfrsilver
Atari God
Atari God

Postby dlfrsilver » Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:53 pm

Light Quest ? I have extracted all the data/assets/graphics from the graphist own disks.

Starush was never done on ST, the programmer just flew away once the Amiga version done.
Now SPS France representative since the 19th of June 2014. Proud to be an SPS member !

lostdragon
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby lostdragon » Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:47 am

fantastic so, Star Rush was never even started then, so that's just a planned type release.

Light Quest never finished/released?..ST market in decline maybe?.

dlfrsilver
Atari God
Atari God

Postby dlfrsilver » Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:29 pm

lostdragon wrote:fantastic so, Star Rush was never even started then, so that's just a planned type release.

Light Quest never finished/released?..ST market in decline maybe?.

Yes, i'm in contact with Laurent Cluzel, the graphist. Nothing was ever made for the ST, neither graphically, code or anything.

Lightquest same problem. Only the PC and Amiga beta versions were made, the ST was not even on paper.

For both the market status was unrelated. The games were simply not done by the original creators for this machine.

lostdragon
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby lostdragon » Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:00 pm

Very much appreciate you clearing these 2 up.

dlfrsilver
Atari God
Atari God

Postby dlfrsilver » Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:12 pm

lostdragon wrote:Very much appreciate you clearing these 2 up.

Be my guest :)

mlynn1974
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Postby mlynn1974 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:56 pm

My nominations:
1. Minder (By Don Priestly)
2. Wec Le Mans
3. Batman (Jon Ritman\Bernie Drummond)
Head Over Heels was beautifully converted by Colin Porch but I could never find an original ST version to buy. I'll need to check eBay for that one.
Still got, still working: Atari 4Mb STe, 520STFM, 2.5Mb STF.
Hardware: Cumana CSA 354, Ultimate Ripper, Blitz Turbo, Synchro Express II (US and UK Versions).

lostdragon
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby lostdragon » Sat Sep 09, 2017 4:37 pm

Frontier:Elite II David Braben was quoted as saying wouldn't appear on ST and Amiga 500 due to 'Memory and other issues'

Mentioned Thalion's Rotator before and following were annouced in Amiga Press (as happening) but does anyone know if the following Thalion games were ever even planned?

1)Air Rescue:A Helicopter game, supposedly running on the No Second Prize game engine.

2)Airbus II

3)Night Approaches.

lostdragon
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby lostdragon » Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:09 pm

No sure IF these from Dention Design's have been mentioned:

https://www.gamesthatwerent.com/gtw64/gargantuan/

Supposed to be based around the 12 tasks of Hercules.

New Moon:Stuart Fotheringham wrote a 60+page design for it, coding by Steve Weherill and graphics by Colin Grunes.

Many thanks to Retro Gamer Issue 5 for that information.

lostdragon
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby lostdragon » Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:22 pm

Also, whilst bumping thread :)

Some of the B.S P.R excuses used to explain why NO ST version was coming, made me chuckle.

Rather than say PC market is where it's at, USA wise, ST sales in UK in rapid decline as well, so NO ST Indy Jones And Fate Of Atlantis for you...(Animated Adventure fans)

Lucasfilm said they were not prepared to compromise with the games entity...erm..say what?

dlfrsilver
Atari God
Atari God

Postby dlfrsilver » Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:17 am

lostdragon wrote:Also, whilst bumping thread :)

Some of the B.S P.R excuses used to explain why NO ST version was coming, made me chuckle.

Rather than say PC market is where it's at, USA wise, ST sales in UK in rapid decline as well, so NO ST Indy Jones And Fate Of Atlantis for you...(Animated Adventure fans)

Lucasfilm said they were not prepared to compromise with the games entity...erm..say what?

The explanation is simple : those games used the PC full VGA palette of 16x16 colors (256). Lucasarts actually pulled the plug because the Atari ST just had 16 colors, and this was not enough to get a satisfying experience visually.

32 colors fell quite short on the amiga depending on the scenes. But i forgot : Indy 4 just has serious FPS drops in some places like 2-5 fps.

So their thinking was obvious if it runs at 2-5 FPS on the Amiga, what will it look on the ST ?

Indy 4 Amiga needs an A500 with accelerator board with 020, better with a 68030 if possible. A 68000 is just not enough..... ;

alexh
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby alexh » Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:44 am

lostdragon wrote:anyone know anything more on Thalion's Rotator? Tank game..rotating playfield,in works for ST..

Please quote your sources and I will ask the Thalion team about them
Last edited by alexh on Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

alexh
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby alexh » Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:53 am

Air Rescue - While not mentioned by name an Article in the June 1991 issue of "The One" Page 52

TheOne wrote:Meanwhile Oberst Bopf is using what spare time he has left to whittle away at another simulation program. This time it's a civilian helicopter game with a rescue scenario that has you racing to serious accident spots on highways and in the mountains, searching for the injured and rushing them to hospital. Carmincke is clearly impressed: "One of its advantages is that we can use exactly the same landscapes as in Airbus, though obviously the game area will have to be smaller and there'll have to be more detail." Expect to feast your eyes on that early next year.

And again in January1994

http://amr.abime.net/amr_popup_picture. ... ize=363513

TheOne wrote:As for the rest of Thalion's releases, things aren't so concrete. Air Rescue, the helicopter arcade game based around the No Second Prize game engine, is "happening", as is Airbus 2 and Night Approaches

I didn't know about this game before but it also seem to be referred to as "Air Sea Rescue". I've asked the Thalion developers about it but I suspect Rainer Bopf is the man to ask.

Anything in 1994 and beyond cannot be trusted as the Thalion developers left in 1994

lostdragon
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby lostdragon » Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:37 am

dlfrsilver wrote:
lostdragon wrote:Also, whilst bumping thread :)

The explanation is simple : those games used the PC full VGA palette of 16x16 colors (256). Lucasarts actually pulled the plug because the Atari ST just had 16 colors, and this was not enough to get a satisfying experience visually.

32 colors fell quite short on the amiga depending on the scenes. But i forgot : Indy 4 just has serious FPS drops in some places like 2-5 fps.

So their thinking was obvious if it runs at 2-5 FPS on the Amiga, what will it look on the ST ?

Indy 4 Amiga needs an A500 with accelerator board with 020, better with a 68030 if possible. A 68000 is just not enough..... ;

I fully understood why the game wasn't going to appear..games were being developed on far more powerful hardware for the PC and the American market. ..

It's just the way it was handled.

It was obvious to STFM owners like myself that developers had switched to producing games on the Amiga 1st, with ST versions following month or months behind..If at all..

And that the PC was becoming a major force in the USA..where the ST was a long dead format, so it wouldn't of offended me for them to be brutally honest and just say the hardware can't handle it and there simply isn't a viable commercial market to have someone convert it to the ST.

lostdragon
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby lostdragon » Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:41 am

alexh wrote:Air Rescue - While not mentioned by name an Article in the June 1991 issue of "The One" Page 52

TheOne wrote:Meanwhile Oberst Bopf is using what spare time he has left to whittle away at another simulation program. This time it's a civilian helicopter game with a rescue scenario that has you racing to serious accident spots on highways and in the mountains, searching for the injured and rushing them to hospital. Carmincke is clearly impressed: "One of its advantages is that we can use exactly the same landscapes as in Airbus, though obviously the game area will have to be smaller and there'll have to be more detail." Expect to feast your eyes on that early next year.

And again in January1994

http://amr.abime.net/amr_popup_picture. ... ize=363513

TheOne wrote:As for the rest of Thalion's releases, things aren't so concrete. Air Rescue, the helicopter arcade game based around the No Second Prize game engine, is "happening", as is Airbus 2 and Night Approaches

I didn't know about this game before but it also seem to be referred to as "Air Sea Rescue". I've asked the Thalion developers about it but I suspect Rainer Bopf is the man to ask.

Anything in 1994 and beyond cannot be trusted as the Thalion developers left in 1994

The One..whilst a superb magazine..espically in it's early days..hasn't proven to be the most realise source..sadly..

It was they who claimed Thalion were handling the ST conversion of Nebulus II.

It'd be fantastic if your sources could could confirm the magazines claims quoted.

I really appreciate you taking the time to ask them.

lostdragon
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby lostdragon » Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:43 am

alexh wrote:
lostdragon wrote:anyone know anything more on Thalion's Rotator? Tank game..rotating playfield,in works for ST..

Please quote your sources and I will ask the Thalion team about them

It was another misc quote in a UK magazine on an article on Thalion.

Sent every scan i had to Atari I.O but they've had to remove thread due to hosting issues..

Every physical copy of old games magazines i once had went to recycling as part of my recent epic downsizing.

alexh
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby alexh » Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:50 am

You think they might have it in a backup?

I'm interested but not trawling through millions of pages to find something which may or may not exist.

Especially as there was an unreleased overhead tank game which used rotating playfields called Rotator by Rainbow Arts written by reLINE

http://hol.abime.net/4429

http://amr.abime.net/issue_72_pages (page 11)

Social Media

Return to “Games - General”