Never Ported respectively released for ST

All about ST/STE games

Moderators: simonsunnyboy, Mug UK, Doctor Bob Gordon, ICS, Moderator Team

lostdragon
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Re: Never Ported respectively released for ST

Postby lostdragon » Sun Jun 05, 2016 10:46 am

There was also System 3's Twister, advertised as avaiable on numerous formats, including all 48 K Atari's and the Atari ST, think only the ZX Spectrum version was completed.

GTW has a entry for what happened to the C64 version though.

http://www.gamesthatwerent.com/gtw64/twister/

NGF
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby NGF » Sat Jun 25, 2016 2:41 pm

Fright Night was planned for the ST but was never released for the ST only Amiga :(

Strange since the game didn't have scrolling, must have been an easy port.
"4160" STE with Ultrasatan | Falcon 030 14MB with CF-reader | TT030 | STacy | 520STFM x 2 | 520ST x 2

dlfrsilver
Atari God
Atari God

Postby dlfrsilver » Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:30 pm

Steve Bak explained in an interview that Microdeal big boss wanted expressly an amiga version with huge sprites.
Now SPS France representative since the 19th of June 2014. Proud to be an SPS member !

darklight
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby darklight » Wed Jun 29, 2016 6:28 am

dlfrsilver wrote:Steve Bak explained in an interview that Microdeal big boss wanted expressly an amiga version with huge sprites.

Can you please get a link for this - I want to read more about Microdeal. Argh nevermind, I guess this was a magazine interview...

Oh dlfsilver, there are some funny comments by you on amiga sites from years past. I did post one here, but thought better of it to not start another flame war.
Storm Clouds over the Western Front - my WW1 2D dogfighting game for windows
2D Flight Sims - side scrolling aerial combat games

Xerus

Postby Xerus » Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:03 pm

This information come from a french magazine (Joystick), an interview of Steve Bak, extract:
(my bad english translation ^^)

JOY: But Fright Night has been developed on Amiga, yet...
SB: No, it was not only on Amiga. I worked only on this version, which is a slight difference.
The reason is that the boss of Microdeal wanted the Amiga version in first, and wanted a software that takes advantage of the machine.
That's why I made much bigger sprites (100 pixels high) and that I would not have done normally.
It's for this reason that I didn't want to convert the game on ST - too much work compared to what I could get something useful.
If I had to convert ST myself, I would not have created with such large sprites.

Original french version:
JOY: Mais Fright Night n'a été développé que sur Amiga, pourtant...
SB: Non, ce n'était pas que sur Amiga. Je n'ai travaillé que sur cette version, ce qui est différent.
La raison, c'est que le patron de Microdeal voulait avoir la version Amiga en premier, et voulait un soft qui tire parti de la machine.
C'est pour ça que j'ai fait des sprites beaucoup plus grands (100 pixels de hauteur) et que je ne l'aurais fait en temps normal.
C'est notamment pour cette raison que je n'ai pas voulu le convertir sur ST - trop de travail par rapport à ce que je pouvais en tirer.
Si j'avais dû convertir sur ST moi-même, je n'aurais pas mis des sprites aussi grands.

Dlfrsilver must remember that particular interview since Steve Bak destroyed Amiga several times, probably a big shock for him at this time :lol:

dlfrsilver
Atari God
Atari God

Postby dlfrsilver » Wed Jun 29, 2016 10:32 pm

Indeed, that was stupid of him at this time, because later he was able to make a lot of dough with James Pond 2 and 3 on the Amiga computer :)

The reason he invoked about not converting it on Atari ST was that (correctly translated) :

"it would have been too much work for what I could "get out of it."

In good english, he meant the amount of work needed to obtain the same thing on the ST was not worth the workload required (in companies colloquial speaking, it meant "not profitable").
Now SPS France representative since the 19th of June 2014. Proud to be an SPS member !

lostdragon
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby lostdragon » Sat Aug 06, 2016 11:45 pm

Damn, so those were AMIGA screens being used to advertise the ST version then?..old trick, but i thought game looke bloody superb.Oh well guess it wasn't to be on ST :(

Talking of Fright Night rumours, there were claims a more adventure-based/campain type game was also to be released alongside the original, i put the question of this to Pete Lyon and he said:

" I cannot recall.  I just tried to summon up as many of the tropes of the horror movie I felt were expected.  There were fewer restrictions on the graphics, especially as I was now able to approach more figuratively realistic figures. This kept me happy, and I think at this point I was just left to get on with it."

lostdragon
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby lostdragon » Sat Aug 06, 2016 11:49 pm

Also, started reading 2nd volume of the 2 book set A Gremlin In The Works, loved the 1st volume, 2nd was always going to be a stuggle as it covers 1990-2015 and the games Gremlin/Core were putting out (Venus, Super Cars II, Switchblade II etc aside) just were not my thing...too many racers, attempts at doing console style games on ST/Amiga etc...

However i did ask Mark to enquire about claims of ST Litil Divil (as well as Jaguar CD version) , dissapointed to find whilst the WIP MD/SNES Cartridge games (sideway scrolling platform game unlike the orig) were covered as well as planned Mega CD and SNES CD versions, NOTHING mentioned, not even asked about the ST version (nor Jag CD version) so still left in the dark here...

Pity, would of been nice to of had closure here.

joefish
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby joefish » Mon Aug 08, 2016 3:17 pm

dlfrsilver wrote:shockwave is a very impressive game indeed. it's a game basically running at 50 fps with 3D like bending of the backgrounds, to the left or the right.

It's not that great - it's simply shifting each 16-pixel wide column of the screen up or down by a few pixels relative to its neighbour. If you watch a video of it and freeze-frame it when the view tilts it looks pretty awful (note the torn-up clouds in the background). I guess the way to do it is write all your graphic routines so that they work in columns rather than rows. Other than that it's just Space Harrier. You could do it on an ST, although admittedly without a blitter it wouldn't run quite as fast.

dlfrsilver
Atari God
Atari God

Postby dlfrsilver » Tue Aug 09, 2016 10:41 am

lostdragon wrote:Also, started reading 2nd volume of the 2 book set A Gremlin In The Works, loved the 1st volume, 2nd was always going to be a stuggle as it covers 1990-2015 and the games Gremlin/Core were putting out (Venus, Super Cars II, Switchblade II etc aside) just were not my thing...too many racers, attempts at doing console style games on ST/Amiga etc...

However i did ask Mark to enquire about claims of ST Litil Divil (as well as Jaguar CD version) , dissapointed to find whilst the WIP MD/SNES Cartridge games (sideway scrolling platform game unlike the orig) were covered as well as planned Mega CD and SNES CD versions, NOTHING mentioned, not even asked about the ST version (nor Jag CD version) so still left in the dark here...

Pity, would of been nice to of had closure here.

Hi, litil devil was at first a pc cdrom game, ported on Amiga Cd32.

Due to its size, amount of colors used and audio tracks use, as well as the year 1993, Core Design had long since stopped ST developments.

dlfrsilver
Atari God
Atari God

Postby dlfrsilver » Tue Aug 09, 2016 10:44 am

@Joefish : i dont see how an ST machine could push such a game like shockwave. You need 50fps to get the right feeling. At 20fps, this type of game is awful to play.

Marakatti
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Marakatti » Tue Aug 09, 2016 12:14 pm

Without bending background it should be possible on STe. Visually not far from Stardust tunnel sequence...
-------------< Member of Atarimania >-----------
-< ST / STe / Falcon030 / TT030 archiver >-
-------------> www.atarimania.com <-------------

lostdragon
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby lostdragon » Thu Aug 25, 2016 12:49 pm

With Litil Divil, i'd since seen it reviewed by the UK Press and knew it like many a annouced for Atari Platform X..type game, was no real loss..thinking of Daemonsgate on Lynx as another prime example, PC version was slated, ditto Strider 2 on Lynx, but it would of been nice to of heard if this was annouced as an ST title by the publishers themselves or (as i suspect), it was yet another case of UK Press making an assumption that an ST port was to follow...

We saw The Games Machine simply assume John Croudy would be converting Druid II to the A8, as he'd converted the 1st and stated it was coming, reality sadly very different :(

lostdragon
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby lostdragon » Sun Sep 25, 2016 10:35 pm

I was never an STE owner, but did the planned mission disks for Zero 5 ever appear?.

lostdragon
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby lostdragon » Mon Sep 26, 2016 12:11 pm

Also,anyone know anything more on Thalion's Rotator?.

Tank game..rotating playfield,in works for ST..

lotek_style
Mod(ul)erator
Mod(ul)erator

Postby lotek_style » Fri Sep 30, 2016 6:54 pm

Never heard of this... who was the programmer?
lotek style / the sirius cybernetics corporation
- musician - ascii-artist - swapper - archivist -

.tSCc. - low-tech atari cyberpunks since 1990
http://www.tscc.de/ | http://demozoo.org/ | http://www.lotekstyle.de/ | http://ymrockerz.atari.org/

lostdragon
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby lostdragon » Sat Oct 01, 2016 5:14 pm

lostdragon
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby lostdragon » Sat Oct 01, 2016 5:18 pm

lotek_style wrote:Never heard of this... who was the programmer?

I think Heinz Rudolf was mentioned?

lotek_style
Mod(ul)erator
Mod(ul)erator

Postby lotek_style » Sun Oct 02, 2016 7:29 am

Oh too bad he quit the scene 5-6 years ago and doesn't react to any e-mails...
lotek style / the sirius cybernetics corporation
- musician - ascii-artist - swapper - archivist -

.tSCc. - low-tech atari cyberpunks since 1990
http://www.tscc.de/ | http://demozoo.org/ | http://www.lotekstyle.de/ | http://ymrockerz.atari.org/

lostdragon
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby lostdragon » Fri Oct 07, 2016 4:02 pm

lotek_style wrote:Oh too bad he quit the scene 5-6 years ago and doesn't react to any e-mails...

Pity, would of loved to of known more.

Game was never even mentioned in last UK magazine look at Thalion Software, so i assume it's quite an obscure Lost title?

lostdragon
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby lostdragon » Fri Oct 07, 2016 4:05 pm

The question of what became of US Gold's attempt to bring A Nightmare On Elm Street to Amiga/ST etc was raised over on GTW, so thought i'd share info on here as well, in case anyone else ever wondered...

According to US Gold's P.R lady, Danielle W... ("Woody") the project was always an on/off title for US Gold and by the time the licence had expired, US Gold realised the age group for those able to see the film, was very different to those the game was aimed at....

This is a Press Quote, but regarding Psygnosis and Dr.Mallet And The Tribbles, P.R guy, Nik Wilde was quoted as saying it'd been put in a dark cupboard, soon after being shown to the Press...

Also, any truth to claims Core Design were working on a Polygon 3D racing game using the Jaguar Licence at same time XJ220 was in development?

Jeremy Heath-Smith quoted as saying Mark Avory had done 4 months inital work on it, game was using ST/Amiga Thunderhawk Game engine and would be based around the Le Mans 24 HR race...

lostdragon
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby lostdragon » Fri Oct 14, 2016 11:48 pm

Another new one to myself:

"Technopolis" ARC-Ever released?

Supposed to be a mix of strategy and arcade sequences, super fast 3D, Martin walker doing music/Sound FX..coder Chris Pink?

junosix
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby junosix » Sat Oct 15, 2016 7:47 am

lostdragon wrote:I was never an STE owner, but did the planned mission disks for Zero 5 ever appear?.

The author Andrew Gisby's Twitter account is here, he doesn't post often but has replied to tweets in the past, try asking him there: https://twitter.com/duckocide He told me a while back that some people had sent in for the offer of having their photo scanned so they could have a customised save disk. Might be an idea to interview him while you're at it!

lostdragon
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby lostdragon » Sat Oct 15, 2016 11:22 am

junosix wrote:
lostdragon wrote:I was never an STE owner, but did the planned mission disks for Zero 5 ever appear?.

The author Andrew Gisby's Twitter account is here, he doesn't post often but has replied to tweets in the past, try asking him there: https://twitter.com/duckocide He told me a while back that some people had sent in for the offer of having their photo scanned so they could have a customised save disk. Might be an idea to interview him while you're at it!

Very much appreciated.

I don't do Twitter myself, but have passed the details onto Luca at Unseen64 to Tweet Andrew on my behalf, to see if he's interested in answering a few misc Q's.

Not really looking to get involved in a full interview, per say as researching for Unseen 64 book/website etc saw Luca and myself investing a lot of time putting Q's to various ST era onwards people (some who'd gone onto join Darworks etc, others who'd worked on Heart Of Darkness etc) only to never hear anything back.

Appreciate these good people are very tied up with real world stuff and we are asking very obscure Q's about events oh so long ago, but it would be nice to get a simple, sorry i can no longer answer your Q's type email, which many have been kind enough to send.

Oh well lets see what happens.

And thanks again for the lead.

lostdragon
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby lostdragon » Sat Oct 15, 2016 3:35 pm

https://youtu.be/X8-xp7IBEzw

This one sounded very promising..

Cross between Elite and Starglider II, ability to link up 8 ST's...

Social Media

Return to “Games - General”