Pacmania

All about ST/STE games

Moderators: simonsunnyboy, Mug UK, Doctor Bob Gordon, ICS, Moderator Team

Zamuel_a
Atari God
Atari God

Re: Pacmania

Postby Zamuel_a » Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:17 pm

I found the bugs that I knowed about so I have prepared a (hopefully) working demo of Brickland. I haven't done anything to the main menu so just press FIRE (or SPACE) until the game starts without changing anything. Only Brickland works so selecting any of the other levels will corrupt the game. Also after Brickland is completed the game will be corrupt since I don't handle that situation yet, but I think the rest should work so if anyone finds any bugs, please tell me.

I have only tested this under STEEM so please try other emulators or a real STE! There are no guarantees that it will work under anything except STEEM at the moment, hehe.

If you don't have a joystick you can use the keys Z, X, O, K and SPACE to control Pacman.

The game is just two files. The PI1 image isn't used but it's loaded by the original ST routines and I haven't done any changes to this part yet.

EDIT: I tried it under Hatari but it krasch so there are something that isn't correct but that STEEM doesn't care about. Will probibly crash on a real atari aswell since Hatari is more accurate than STEEM:
Last edited by Zamuel_a on Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
ST / STFM / STE / Mega STE / Falcon / TT030 / Portfolio / 2600 / 7800 / Jaguar / 600xl / 130xe

Zamuel_a
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Zamuel_a » Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:00 pm

I found something that caused it to crash under Hatari that I removed. It works better now, but the top part of the playfield is corrupted so I guess it's some memory problem. Anyway this version should work alittle better under Hatari. STEEM seems to work fine with both version.
Last edited by Zamuel_a on Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
ST / STFM / STE / Mega STE / Falcon / TT030 / Portfolio / 2600 / 7800 / Jaguar / 600xl / 130xe

NGF
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby NGF » Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:24 pm

I have followed this thread with great interest, I played PacMania alot when I got my 520STFM with Power Pack, one of my favorites :D I even made a Pacman pillow in those days.

Awesome job so far with PacMania and congratulation, you deserve a medal :cheers:

Here is my report trying it with Steem and Swedish TOS 1.62:

-The music is corrupt but sfx play correctly.
-At the top of the level, there are som graphical errors as you reported for Hatari (screenshot).
-When you collect special items (fruit for example) the score that pops up freezes and stays there on the playfield (screenshot).

Nice touch with the special item and lifes display, I was worried they would be lost.

Keep up the good work and "lycka till" :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"4160" STE with Ultrasatan | Falcon 030 14MB with CF-reader | TT030 | STacy | 520STFM x 2 | 520ST x 2

qq1975b
Atari God
Atari God

Postby qq1975b » Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:57 pm

I tested it too.

Same issues with TOS 1.62 UK
Music doesn't sound fine
Top of the map is corrupted.
After some seconds, it crashes and reboots.

Doesn't work with TOS 2.06 (4 bombs)

Looks nice! ;-)
Trying to learn...

dma
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby dma » Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:57 pm

I tried it on my real STe (4 megs french TOS 1.06) and it crashes after the level selection :
- 4 bombs on 2:17pm version
- 11 bombs on 4:00pm version

I just pressed space 2 times (one time on the rolling screen and one time on the level selector) and so didn't changed the starting level.

Zamuel_a
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Zamuel_a » Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:02 pm

It seems to behave differently depending on the machine. When I run it under STEEM with Swedish TOS 1.62 everything works fine without any errors. It will probibly take some while to find what might cause that. Memory leakage probibly and that can be impossible to find.

Anima
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Anima » Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:53 pm

Hello guys,

another update on the X68000 game port experiment.

The source code now runs on the Atari STE. A special initialization is running before the original code will be executed. With this initialization only about 10 lines of the original source code needed to be modified. Some of the important Human68k DOS/IOCS calls are being redirected to the Atari equivalents. The vertical blank interrupt is also running which is obviously important for the game timing.

The program does not show much on the Atari yet but the PacMania attract mode already runs fine. A part of the intro screen is visible in the background as a result of a first test. A timer is visible as well as one sprite (actually the PacMania sprites are composed of four 16x16 sprites) including it's animation. This sprite is converted from the X68000 hardware sprite data in real time and the appropriate palette is also set. You may compare the attract mode animation with the original X68000 game. In fact, the complete original game is included as well (start PMSYS.X) so you can try it on the XM6 Pro-68k emulator.

Please note that you need an STE with 4 MB of RAM to start the program due to the fact that the X68000 hardware area is mapped to the Atari RAM.

Here's an actual screenshot:

The test can be downloaded here: pacmania.zip

:coffe:

Cheers
Sascha

f030
Atari User
Atari User

Postby f030 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:54 am

working on real STe (4mb uk tos 1.62), looks the same as on the steem except music which working fine.

dma
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby dma » Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:30 am

Anima : Really interesting, i think you should rather create a new thread on the forum about your X68000 ports experiment(s), so that everyone could talk specifically about it and give you opinions/suggestions on this subject. :)

Zamuel_a
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Zamuel_a » Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:35 am

-The music is corrupt but sfx play correctly.
-At the top of the level, there are som graphical errors as you reported for Hatari (screenshot).

I saw your screenshot and it's also in STEEM. I use version 3.2 and don't get any errors. The music playes fine and there are no graphical errors. Strange...

Under Hatari I get the graphical errors and the music is garbage! Hmm will be difficult to find what's causing that.

Anima
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Anima » Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:35 am

dma wrote:Anima : Really interesting, i think you should rather create a new thread on the forum about your X68000 ports experiment(s), so that everyone could talk specifically about it and give you opinions/suggestions on this subject. :)

Hello dma,

agreed, I will open a new thread for that.

Cheers
Sascha

qq1975b
Atari God
Atari God

Postby qq1975b » Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:28 pm

qq1975b wrote:I tested it too.

Same issues with TOS 1.62 UK
Music doesn't sound fine
After some seconds, it crashes and reboots.

Doesn't work with TOS 2.06 (4 bombs)

Looks nice! ;-)

I am using Steem SSE 3.3.0

Now I am going to test it with:

Real Atari STE 4MB 1.62 TOS UK
Real Atari Mega STE 4MB 2.06 TOS UK

I will edit this post with my comments. :)

Ok. News once tested (17:46)
On the Atari STE 1.62 4MB it does the same than on STEEM 3.3:
Music, sounds quite well but I don't know if it is the real one, but it seems like something, a little bit, is missing.
After Pacman is bite, it crashes

First version of the PAC_STe crashes with 11 bombs

On the Atari Mega STe 4MB, it loads (last pac_ste) until the screen is all red, but nothing else.
Last edited by qq1975b on Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:51 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Trying to learn...

Zamuel_a
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Zamuel_a » Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:46 pm

I found one problem so I'm one step closer. The orignal ST game used a fixed address for the screen and that caused it to put out all that garbage on the screen.

NGF
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby NGF » Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:02 pm

@Zamuel_a
I dunno how to describe the music problem but it has a corrupt hissing sound. The soundfx works fine for example when Pacman spins and dies. The game didnt crash until I finished the first stage.
What is the recommended RAM and should it start from autofolder or hd? I had problems running it from disk with graphical errors and bombs when trying to start but not hd so hd is prefered. It didn't run at all with 512k-1mb but with 2mb and 4mb ram it starts.
"4160" STE with Ultrasatan | Falcon 030 14MB with CF-reader | TT030 | STacy | 520STFM x 2 | 520ST x 2

nativ
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby nativ » Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:25 pm

[quote="NGF"]@Zamuel_a
I dunno how to describe the music problem but it has a corrupt hissing sound.

It's always done that! on the LSD Was not Was menu and the original I think!
Atari STFM 512 / STe 4MB / Mega ST+DSP / Falcon 4MB 16Mhz 68882 - DVD/CDRW/ZIP/DAT - FDI / Jaguar / Lynx 1&2 / 7800 / 2600 / XE 130+SD Card // Sega Dreamcast / Mega2+CD2 // Apple G4

http://soundcloud.com/nativ ~ http://soundcloud.com/nativ-1 ~ http://soundcloud.com/knot_music
http://soundcloud.com/push-sounds ~ http://soundcloud.com/push-records

Zamuel_a
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Zamuel_a » Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:32 pm

For the moment I use alot of RAM to make stuff simplier during the development so above 1Mb. I did find the music to be strange on Hatari, but I'm trying to figure out what the problem is. Everything works fine on my STEEM version so it's abit tricky to find all errors

Mug UK
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mug UK » Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:41 pm

Use the ripped Pacmania SNDH version of the tunes and just include them instead of using the raw disassembled version?
My main site: http://www.mug-uk.co.uk - slowly digging up the bits from my past (and re-working a few): Atari ST, Sega 8-bit (game hacks) and NDS (Music ripping guide).

I develop a free Word (for Windows) add-in that's available for Word 2007 upwards. It's a fix-it toolbox that will allow power Word users to fix document errors. You can find it at: http://www.mikestoolbox.co.uk

Zamuel_a
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Zamuel_a » Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:17 am

I think I found the problem that caused it to crash. Atleast I can run it under both STEEM and HATARI now. I haven't tried it on a real machine. You must have atleast 2Mb for the moment to run it.

pac_ste_121102.zip
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

dma
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby dma » Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:02 am

It works on the real thing here! :)

I played and completed the first level, everything moves smoothly as excepted and no music/audio problem (it sounds like the regular game, with applause digi on the intermission screen and some channels having low volume during the invincibility sequence).

The game/visuals/audio go super funky after that, if not just crashing (as you mentioned it would).

No screen border is extended yet, right?

Great job on this Zamuel.

(ah i now got the catchy level tune in my head again, it has been a long time, really an earworm this one is ;))

qq1975b
Atari God
Atari God

Postby qq1975b » Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:22 am

Tested on:
Real Atari STE 4MB 1.62 TOS UK
Real Atari Mega STE 4MB 2.06 TOS UK

and it works great. :D
Music and map are OK. Issues not detected.

Great job!
Trying to learn...

NGF
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby NGF » Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:29 pm

Sounds and gfx are both workng fine now on the latest version, great job 8)
The score for the fruits still gets stuck but not a big issue.

Zamuel_a
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Zamuel_a » Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:38 pm

Good that it works on a real machine! I haven't tested that myself yet.

The game/visuals/audio go super funky after that, if not just crashing (as you mentioned it would).

Yea after you complete the level I have to reset alot of stuff and "restore" the ST version to show the new level and other stuff. I haven't looked at any of that yet.

The score for the fruits still gets stuck but not a big issue.

The score should dissapear after a while, but I don't understand why it's behaving like that. I have only changed the graphic routines. The code that actually do the pic fruit -> show score is the same as the original so it shouldn't be different :?

The intro part before each level when you see Pacman get's chased by the ghosts is abit tricky. They run that part under the VBL at the same time as they do some other stuff. Precalcing the level or something. That's why it takes so long time before the level starts. I have to see what I will do here in the future. Maybe I will redo this part to look more like the orginal chase sequence, but first I want to finish the rest.

qq1975b
Atari God
Atari God

Postby qq1975b » Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:50 pm

with my Atari STE and Mega STE I haven't seen this fruit score issue. I will test it again tomorrow morning.

In the level intro, there is a green ghost that seems to disapear for a second.
Trying to learn...

Zamuel_a
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Zamuel_a » Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:08 pm

with my Atari STE and Mega STE I haven't seen this fruit score issue.

I don't know if it is an issue or not. It takes 5-10 seconds for the score to dissapear but I don't remember how the original ST version was. Maybe it's supposed to be like this. This part of the code is the orginal so very strange why it wouldn't work since the rest of the sprite behavior are as they should.

In the level intro, there is a green ghost that seems to disapear for a second.

Yes I know it does that, but I don't know the reason. The entire intro part of the game should be rewritten so I don't care about any errors here aslong as the game starts. The ghost chase sequence use the old ST sprite routines and not my blitter routines. That's why Pacman isn't the new dither version, but instead the old ST version.

qq1975b
Atari God
Atari God

Postby qq1975b » Sat Nov 03, 2012 12:22 am

Zamuel_a wrote:
with my Atari STE and Mega STE I haven't seen this fruit score issue.

I don't know if it is an issue or not. It takes 5-10 seconds for the score to dissapear but I don't remember how the original ST version was. Maybe it's supposed to be like this. This part of the code is the orginal so very strange why it wouldn't work since the rest of the sprite behavior are as they should.

Yes, you're right. On the original game, the score only lasts for 1-2 secs and moves. It is not freezed like in this demo.
Trying to learn...

Social Media

Return to “Games - General”