All about ST/STE games

Moderators: simonsunnyboy, Mug UK, Doctor Bob Gordon, ICS, Moderator Team

Kroah
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Gods map viewer

Postby Kroah » Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:49 pm

Hey all,

If you are fan of Bitmap Brother's games, you will be interested by my latest reverse engineering work.

I've disassembled and analyzed the game Gods, and you won't be surprised I've coded a map viewer for this game too :wink::

It's written in C# and both the Amiga & Atari version are supported (all files are provided).
It shows items, enemies, moving platforms, puzzles, events and triggers.

Keep in mind each map was split in 2 during the development. That's why you can see some garbage in place of old data.

Grab the viewer on my website: http://bringerp.free.fr/RE/

You can read the whole thread at the EAB forum if you are more interested: http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=60678

If you have some questions, you can ask here or there, i follow both forums (and yes, i like both the Atari & Amiga).

PS: My current work is on another BB's game, and a playable remake will be soon available. Because this is based on the original asm code, the game will have the exact same behavior, up to the random number generator.

Have fun!

Mug UK
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Gods map viewer

Postby Mug UK » Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:46 pm

Fantastic work as always Kroah
My main site: http://www.mug-uk.co.uk - slowly digging up the bits from my past (and re-working a few): Atari ST, Sega 8-bit (game hacks) and NDS (Music ripping guide).

I develop a free Word (for Windows) add-in that's available for Word 2007 upwards. It's a fix-it toolbox that will allow power Word users to fix document errors. You can find it at: http://www.mikestoolbox.co.uk

X3peri_MENTaL
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby X3peri_MENTaL » Tue Oct 04, 2011 7:26 pm

One word. Awesome.

You have some serious talent for this type of thing. :)

CoolCoyote
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Gods map viewer

Postby CoolCoyote » Tue Oct 04, 2011 7:57 pm

Great work ! Thanks dude
ImageTylerDurden67real

darklight
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby darklight » Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:50 am

Really interesting stuff Kroah. I'd be very interested in a blog or a youtube channel or something on this subject (I mean all your game disections, not just gods) I'd love to read more info on the little tricks & secrets in the games you pull apart. Go on - I'm sure you'd get plenty of subscribers! :D
Storm Clouds over the Western Front - my WW1 2D dogfighting game for windows
2D Flight Sims - side scrolling aerial combat games

Kroah
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Kroah » Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:40 am

Thanks all for your comments.

darklight wrote:Really interesting stuff Kroah. I'd be very interested in a blog or a youtube channel or something on this subject (I mean all your game disections, not just gods) I'd love to read more info on the little tricks & secrets in the games you pull apart. Go on - I'm sure you'd get plenty of subscribers! :D

Yes, I would love to share every bits and pieces. But it takes time to write articles, and I'm a poor writer.
Coding viewers is a tangible alternative i choose to put something up without writing too much.
Maybe i will have more spare time in some years.
Last edited by Kroah on Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

majere
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby majere » Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:17 pm

Good Work! :thumbs:
ATARI 520ST FM - ATARI MEGA4 - ATARI MEGASTE 4 - 2Xatari TT 30 & Crazy Dots + magnum TT +Netusbee // Falcon + 14mb + SCSI Plextor//Falcon+14mb+CT60+CTPCI+Ethernat

darklight
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby darklight » Thu Oct 06, 2011 5:27 am

Kroah wrote:Thanks all for your comments.

darklight wrote:Really interesting stuff Kroah. I'd be very interested in a blog or a youtube channel or something on this subject (I mean all your game disections, not just gods) I'd love to read more info on the little tricks & secrets in the games you pull apart. Go on - I'm sure you'd get plenty of subscribers! :D

Yes, I would love to share every bits and pieces. But it takes time to write articles, and I'm a poor writer.
Coding viewers is a tangible alternative i choose to put something up without writing too much.
Maybe i will have more spare time in some years.

You dont have to write articles, you could just update with notes, in a similar way you updated the amiga forum thread. Anyway, as long as you post your new work to this forum I'll be reading it.
Storm Clouds over the Western Front - my WW1 2D dogfighting game for windows
2D Flight Sims - side scrolling aerial combat games

Social Media

Return to “Games - General”