4 Player Adapter

All about ST/STE games

Moderators: simonsunnyboy, Mug UK, Doctor Bob Gordon, ICS, Moderator Team

31336haxx0r
Retro freak
Retro freak

Re: 4 Player Adapter

Postby 31336haxx0r » Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:22 am

Look at the links I posted above and you'll notice there's no need for testing: the ST and Amiga adapters are wired up different.

krupkaj
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby krupkaj » Tue Nov 10, 2015 1:28 pm

simonsunnyboy wrote:Are there differences about those 4 player adapters?

A few months ago, we tried one that works on the Amiga on my 1040STE with Gauntlet II. It did not work at all on the STE :(

Last weekend I build the adapter and it did not work with the STE for me too. The paralel port is certainly OK as I use the PARCP daily.
I will try the adapter with my STFM.

I have compared Amiga and ST versions and it differ in one wire. It uses pin 13 on the Amiga instead of pin 1 on Atari for fire button.

Greenious
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby Greenious » Fri May 19, 2017 3:37 pm

31336haxx0r wrote:Take a look at the first link of this page: http://atari4ever.free.fr/hardware/others.html

It describes how to build such an adapter. What bugs me is that it uses pin 26 on a DB25 connector :roll: as well as the /STROBE line which is AFAIK output only.

Sorry for digging this old thread up... lol

Actually, all but one pin on the Atari printerport is connected to the PSG general I/O pins. What the strobe pin does on the parallell i/f is not important in this application. And the busy pin (11) on the parallell port goes to the MFP.

As others have noted, the atari/amiga variants differs slightly. Only one joystick works on both, joystick 4.

Joystick 3 firebutton is connected to parallell port pin 1 on atari, and pin 13 on amiga, and if you swap them, you should be able to convert between them.

Pin 18-25 on the parallell port is bound to ground on both machines, so that part should not be a problem. Attaching the pinout from DoItST archives.

atari joystick 4-player.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Updated my guides as of june 28th, 2016. Check'em out and feedback!
viewtopic.php?t=5040

ctirad
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby ctirad » Fri May 19, 2017 10:11 pm

Serblander wrote:That's right (from what i remember of the reviews - never had an original nor copy). Also, as i understand it, you can use the STe's analog controller ports (with two Jag-pads connected) for the extra players if you wanted to - so 4 in total AND I BELIEVE you could also have 1 player use the keyboard - can anyone confirm this?!

Not exactly. The original Dynablaster cannot utilise STE gameports. But you are correct about the 5 of total players. Two on the standard ports, two on the LPT adapter and fifth on the keyboard.

The 4 player adapter is just a simple adapter that routes 2x DB9 joystick connectors directly to the LPT port connector.

Social Media

Return to “Games - General”