4 Player Adapter

All about ST/STE games

Moderators: simonsunnyboy, Mug UK, Doctor Bob Gordon, ICS, Moderator Team

Retro freak
Retro freak

Re: 4 Player Adapter

Postby 31336haxx0r » Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:22 am

Look at the links I posted above and you'll notice there's no need for testing: the ST and Amiga adapters are wired up different.

Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby krupkaj » Tue Nov 10, 2015 1:28 pm

simonsunnyboy wrote:Are there differences about those 4 player adapters?

A few months ago, we tried one that works on the Amiga on my 1040STE with Gauntlet II. It did not work at all on the STE :(

Last weekend I build the adapter and it did not work with the STE for me too. The paralel port is certainly OK as I use the PARCP daily.
I will try the adapter with my STFM.

I have compared Amiga and ST versions and it differ in one wire. It uses pin 13 on the Amiga instead of pin 1 on Atari for fire button.

Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby Greenious » Fri May 19, 2017 3:37 pm

31336haxx0r wrote:Take a look at the first link of this page: http://atari4ever.free.fr/hardware/others.html

It describes how to build such an adapter. What bugs me is that it uses pin 26 on a DB25 connector :roll: as well as the /STROBE line which is AFAIK output only.

Sorry for digging this old thread up... lol

Actually, all but one pin on the Atari printerport is connected to the PSG general I/O pins. What the strobe pin does on the parallell i/f is not important in this application. And the busy pin (11) on the parallell port goes to the MFP.

As others have noted, the atari/amiga variants differs slightly. Only one joystick works on both, joystick 4.

Joystick 3 firebutton is connected to parallell port pin 1 on atari, and pin 13 on amiga, and if you swap them, you should be able to convert between them.

Pin 18-25 on the parallell port is bound to ground on both machines, so that part should not be a problem. Attaching the pinout from DoItST archives.

atari joystick 4-player.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Updated my guides as of june 28th, 2016. Check'em out and feedback!

Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby ctirad » Fri May 19, 2017 10:11 pm

Serblander wrote:That's right (from what i remember of the reviews - never had an original nor copy). Also, as i understand it, you can use the STe's analog controller ports (with two Jag-pads connected) for the extra players if you wanted to - so 4 in total AND I BELIEVE you could also have 1 player use the keyboard - can anyone confirm this?!

Not exactly. The original Dynablaster cannot utilise STE gameports. But you are correct about the 5 of total players. Two on the standard ports, two on the LPT adapter and fifth on the keyboard.

The 4 player adapter is just a simple adapter that routes 2x DB9 joystick connectors directly to the LPT port connector.

Social Media

Return to “Games - General”