"Metroid"

All about ST/STE games

Moderators: simonsunnyboy, Mug UK, ICS, Doctor Bob Gordon, Moderator Team

Zamuel_a
Atari God
Atari God

Re: "Metroid"

Postby Zamuel_a » Fri Jun 15, 2012 5:08 pm

So far I can only handle 22,5 degree slopes (16 pixel increase after 32 pixels walking) which I think is more or less what most games use. I guess I could add other angles but it would be some work and I don't think it would gain so much. I like that you can have floors that aren't flat and still be able to run across it without having to jump over everything.
ST / STFM / STE / Mega STE / Falcon / TT030 / Portfolio / 2600 / 7800 / Jaguar / 600xl / 130xe

EvilFranky
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby EvilFranky » Fri Jun 15, 2012 7:58 pm

Seriously impressive work dude.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

StickHead
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby StickHead » Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:13 pm

Ooooh, looks lovely 8)
The Joy of STicks - YouTube - Blog - Twitter - Facebook
New Developments and old inspirations in Atari ST gaming.

Zamuel_a
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Zamuel_a » Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:19 pm

The biggest problem I have is that I'm not that good at drawing the graphics and also some lack of imagination, hehe. The cave tiles I used here are ripped from other games, even that it's modified to fit the Atari colors and my palette handling. To create EVERYTHING from scratch would be a big job and not so easy to do. Atleast not for one guy, hehe. I like the tiles used in Super metroid so I will probibly use some of them, which is more or less ok I think since I'm making a "metroid look a like game". I didn't want to make a remake of metroid, just somehing that would be to metroid like Giana sisters was to Super Mario Bros.

I have another screenshot here. This shows the palette change feature abit. The player sprite and door (together with the possibilty to shoot and create explosions) takes 8 colors. The cave background use about 7 colors so the palette is almost all used by that. The floor tiles are made of 8 colors and the pillars below are also about 8 colors so since I swap the palette for each 16 pixel lines I have in this picture 24 colors. In theory it's possible to have 104 colors at screen at once EVERYTHERE, but it's not so easy to do practically ofcourse

game2.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ST / STFM / STE / Mega STE / Falcon / TT030 / Portfolio / 2600 / 7800 / Jaguar / 600xl / 130xe

simonsunnyboy

Postby simonsunnyboy » Sat Jun 16, 2012 7:38 am

That's quite a technical working already! Keep up the good work, your "work in progress" made me checkout Metroid on NES and SNES, and as a result, I'm very interested in your finished game.

I'm sadly no graphician myself so I can't help. Did you try asking at those Sprites forums like Pixelation and stuff? Maybe you can hire someone there?
A task "draw 256 tiles XxY pixels wide with a common palette of exactly 8 colors" is taken as a challenge for many people there ;)
If you want to avoid lame ST(e) bashing, just say it should use the Amiga color space of 4096 colors ;)
Simon Sunnyboy/Paradize - http://paradize.atari.org/

Stay cool, stay Atari!

1x2600jr, 1x1040STFm, 1x1040STE 4MB+TOS2.06+SatanDisk, 1xF030 14MB+FPU+NetUS-Bee

bullis1
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby bullis1 » Sat Jun 16, 2012 3:52 pm

I am continually impressed by this project. Keep up the good work!
Member of the Atari Legend team

Kreese
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby Kreese » Sun Jun 17, 2012 8:33 pm

Looks really great! This game will be the best platformer for the STE ever created if you finish it. As I probably said earlier, Metroid gameplay is really great and I love the look of this.

Keep up the good work, and take the advice from Simonsunnyboy. Look for graphic artist(s) on some forums. A game like this really deserves some great tiles and sprites. I am pretty sure that some artists will take the challenge.

Even when it comes to music and sound effects it would probably be quite easy to find talented musicians...

Kreese
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby Kreese » Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:19 pm

Is there any updated playable demo? I haven't tried this in a very long time.

Eero Tamminen
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Eero Tamminen » Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:27 pm

I found a bug in the v3 of the demo. If you change to the small round shape and leave a few bombs just before you exit through pipe to another area, it crashes.

Zamuel_a
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Zamuel_a » Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:34 pm

I have a new demo available with the latest progress. The first area is more or less finished. No enemies yet, but most other stuff are working. The start "room" is not finished since I want to do something special here later on, but the graphics on the rest of the rooms are more or less finished.

The game will work with either keyboard (arrows + shift + control), a SEGA mastersystem / megadrive controller connected to the mouseport or a Jaguar game pad connected to the STE ports. SPACE key will go into the option menu were every found item can be activated or not. The jaguar pad is not selected as default so that has to be done in here aswell.

There are probibly alots of bugs left to fix so it would be great to report them. The number at the bottom right corner is the current room nr, so if a bug is found it had been good to know what room it is in.

I have tested it on several real machines and emulators so it should work
game_130716.zip
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

leglod
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby leglod » Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:58 am

Tank you :)
Grilichili bruit de crayon sur papier.
Les dinosaures de la micro :) ... Mini-Z ...

lotek_style
Mod(ul)erator
Mod(ul)erator

Postby lotek_style » Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:31 am

WOW! Great attempt! Finally somebody who does not code a puzzlegame (because it's easier ;) ) ... btw bombs on Steem when set to 1 MB RAM. I'd love to see this one finished! The horizontal scrolling
looks pretty smooth... I wonder how much the framerate drops when you add enemies and music to that?
lotek style / the sirius cybernetics corporation
- musician - ascii-artist - swapper - archivist -

.tSCc. - low-tech atari cyberpunks since 1990
http://www.tscc.de/ | http://demozoo.org/ | http://www.lotekstyle.de/ | http://ymrockerz.atari.org/

EvilFranky
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby EvilFranky » Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:43 am

Needs 4MB as far as I remember.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Zamuel_a
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Zamuel_a » Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:29 am

Yes it needs 4Mb. The demo should be able to be runned at less, but I reserve 4Mb of memory anyway since the final game with music and everything else will need more than 1Mb for sure and if you got 2, when you should also have 4Mb in the machine :wink:

I wonder how much the framerate drops when you add enemies and music to that?

It won't drop at all. Everything is designed to run at 50fps and all sprites are drawn in the border then nothing else is showing. The time I get for that should be more than enough for the amount of enemies needed in this kind of game. There is also a spritemultiplexer that will take care of it, in case the time isn't enough.

bullis1
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby bullis1 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:30 am

I recently watched a "speedrun" of Metroid and it made me wonder what was going on with your project Zamuel. Now I can find out!

Thank you for releasing another demo. I'm excited to try it out :cheers:

Eero Tamminen
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Eero Tamminen » Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:05 pm

Zamuel_a wrote:I have tested it on several real machines and emulators so it should work
game_130716.zip

I tested this on Hatari and it works really well, thanks!

Btw. Very deep in the tunnels, in a room where there's some kind of pulsing platform between two low pillars, with some pipes overhead; if you jump up, the game switches to some other place, but the player character isn't anymore visible. I guess this isn't intended:
grab0001.png

Before this place I had collected two bonuses; missiles and energy tank in case that matters.

PS. If the game binary would be compiled with GST symbols (OPT D+,X+ in Devpac), I could have profiled where it was running, in case that would have helped. :-)

BoNuS
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby BoNuS » Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:12 pm

lotek_style wrote:WOW! Great attempt! Finally somebody who does not code a puzzlegame (because it's easier ;) )

Hmmmm, you might think so, guess again :angel:
http://bonus.home.xs4all.nl/
2 x Falcon 030 - a mint Atari TT - Mega STE - 2x STE - 1x Mega 2 - 2x STFM - 1 x STF - 3x SC1224 - 2x SM124 - 1x SM125 2x Portofolio+interface
- 3x 1435 monitor - 1 x Ult.Ripper cardridge - Mega 1,2,and 4 ( just to much Atari stuff)

Zamuel_a
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Zamuel_a » Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:47 pm

Btw. Very deep in the tunnels, in a room where there's some kind of pulsing platform between two low pillars, with some pipes overhead; if you jump up, the game switches to some other place, but the player character isn't anymore visible. I guess this isn't intended:

No that was not intended :) Have to see if I can figure out what happened. I guess this is the elevator room. If you press down when you stand on the platform, you will go to the next area, but that one is not finished, so the game will krasch if you get deeper in there :wink:

Eero Tamminen
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Eero Tamminen » Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:59 pm

Zamuel_a wrote:No that was not intended :) Have to see if I can figure out what happened. I guess this is the elevator room. If you press down when you stand on the platform, you will go to the next area, but that one is not finished, so the game will krasch if you get deeper in there :wink:

Note: I'm not completely sure that what happened was because I jumped. I was doing several actions at about the same time, so I might have pressed also down key. What the game crash looks like? :)

Zamuel_a
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Zamuel_a » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:02 pm

I found the error. If you stand on the elevator and press UP and JUMP at the same time, then it happened. I have corrected it, but no point in releasing a update here because it could only happen on the elevator, so don't press up and jump at the same time while you are on it. :wink:

Well the game will not really krasch if you get to deep into the world, but not all the rooms are created so there isn't anything to load...

bullis1
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby bullis1 » Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:02 pm

I just finished testing it. It's extremely playable! The character controls very well and behaves as you'd expect. The graphics are also of a very high standard. Are they all original or are there some borrowed tiles as well?

I have found two bugs however.
Firstly, the status bar jitters left while the screen scrolls horizontally. It jumps back and forth the width of one tile. This happened both times I tested, even after a full reboot.
Secondly, after getting the crouch ball, the game displayed a black screen and never recovered after exiting the room. I was in ball form when going back through the door.

I played on a MSTE, NTSC. I do not know if the game forces 50hz upon launch or simply stays with whatever the desktop is set to.

You've done amazing work so far.

Zamuel_a
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Zamuel_a » Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:38 pm

The graphics are also of a very high standard. Are they all original or are there some borrowed tiles as well?

I am not the best at drawing graphics, so the most (except player, objects, doors and that stuff) are graphics I found in all kinds of places, but I have converted it to Atari format and the color palette is ofcourse different from the original so it's a mix of everything :wink:

In many rooms you have more than 16 colors at screen at once. A good place to see this is in the lava rooms there you can see the room getting "hotter" the closer to the lava you get. Another fun example is the corridor with the mushrooms. The floor has one palette, the ceiling another and the mushrooms a third.

I played on a MSTE, NTSC. I do not know if the game forces 50hz upon launch or simply stays with whatever the desktop is set to.

I have never seen the problems you described, but it's supposed to run at 50hz so I have never tried it on NTSC. I don't force 50hz at the start, but I guess I should do that. The timing is very critical for the screen split for the status bar so if the frequency isn't correct you will get problems.

bullis1
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby bullis1 » Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:07 pm

Zamuel_a wrote:In many rooms you have more than 16 colors at screen at once. A good place to see this is in the lava rooms there you can see the room getting "hotter" the closer to the lava you get. Another fun example is the corridor with the mushrooms. The floor has one palette, the ceiling another and the mushrooms a third.

I noticed the palette splits right away. I remember that feature being discussed near the beginning of this project.

Next time I will set 50hz before I start the game and see if it makes a difference.

Stefan jL
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Stefan jL » Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:37 pm

Amazing progress :D

Some of the graphics looks like it is from Castlevania... wich gives me the idea that maybe you should co-op with another STE game dev team that will make an Castlevania like game and share the same graphics engine? :)

Zamuel_a
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Zamuel_a » Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:11 pm

My graphic engine is not so good for a game like Castlevania at the moment. Ok it depends on which game in the serie we compare it to (for example Symphony of the night on PS1 is more Metroid like), but at the moment the maximum width one room can have is 7 screens and in a platformer like Castlevania, the levels are longer. My engine can scroll in both X and Y very easily since the entire level is stored as one big image, so the scrolling takes no CPU time at all. For a simple horizontal scrolling game, it's much better to use another technic that allows longer levels.

Ofcourse it wouldn't be to hard to add new functions for different game types, since the actual routines that handle player movements, collision detections and so on has nothing to do with how the level is drawn on screen.

By the way, have you found all the secret areas in the game yet? There are 9 of them in the current world that can be found by bombing some special places :wink:

Social Media

Return to “Games - General”