shadow of the beast ST (Mark mc cubbin here)

All about ST/STE games

Moderators: simonsunnyboy, Mug UK, Doctor Bob Gordon, ICS, Moderator Team

lostdragon
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Re: shadow of the beast ST (Mark mc cubbin here)

Postby lostdragon » Mon Sep 26, 2016 5:31 pm

dlfrsilver wrote:You're welcome :)

Kicking myself for not discovering it sooner.

All these years of hoping someone from Gamestm/Edge or retrogamer would branch out just that little bit further and talk to those behind the conversions of SOTB and maybe just take on board how big a presence the ST had in the UK, for a while at least and chat to someone tasked with converting a game designed for Amiga hardware, down to the ST...but no, nothing came of it.

And answers i sought were here all along and i wasn't being asked to pay a magazine price to read them.

Utmost respect to you for putting this out into the community.

dlfrsilver
Atari God
Atari God

Postby dlfrsilver » Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:06 pm

oh thanks :) I was not waiting such compliments or more for this matter.

I wanted to get the informations from the mouth of the ST coder, i mailed him, and there you go :)
Now SPS France representative since the 19th of June 2014. Proud to be an SPS member !

lostdragon
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby lostdragon » Mon Sep 26, 2016 8:53 pm

Your welcome.

I think I appreciated what you shared all the more as you went in with the right principles, wanted some information, couldn't find it so approach chap directly..then share findings.

An attitude a few others in Retro community could learn from no doubt ;-)

dlfrsilver
Atari God
Atari God

Postby dlfrsilver » Tue Sep 27, 2016 12:12 pm

I have found another information, if you're interested, about Corporation, a game made by Core Design :

Jeremy heath-smith said in amiga power review in july 1991 p.62 that "Corporation sold so well on the Amiga that the ST version didn't prove to be necessary for our financial health at all".

Rob Toone, the Frenetic programmer, explained also that he hated Xenon 2 because it was an unplayable game : "it kept restricting your movements and then sending waves of Aliens right down the path you're forced to take, i can't stand that".
Now SPS France representative since the 19th of June 2014. Proud to be an SPS member !

lostdragon
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby lostdragon » Sat Oct 01, 2016 11:58 pm

Appreciated.

Agree with Rob Toone, Xenon II was all mouth and no trousers.Looked fantastic, but played like a brick.

I much prefered the original myself.

Don't think Jeff Minter was a fan of Xenon II either from Press quotes, if my memory serves me correctly.

Total Eclipse
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Total Eclipse » Mon Oct 03, 2016 8:21 am

I spoke to Jeff Minter about Xenon II at the 1989 Computer Shopper show. He was particularly unimpressed with the collision detection.

On the other hand, I rate that game as one of my all time favourites.
Atari equipment all in storage - Now playing with MiST :)

lostdragon
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby lostdragon » Fri Oct 07, 2016 4:09 pm

Total Eclipse wrote:I spoke to Jeff Minter about Xenon II at the 1989 Computer Shopper show. He was particularly unimpressed with the collision detection.

On the other hand, I rate that game as one of my all time favourites.

Appreciated the info.

Frank Gasking (GTW) is hoping to put a few misc Atari related Q's to Jeff on my behalf, if i get anything back, i'll share.

As for Xenon 2, i appreciated the fantastic visuals, but playability wise, the original had the edge on it for myself.

Always felt Bitmaps peaked with Speedball II and Gods myself, liked Chaos Engine, fell for hype of Magic Pockets, much to my eternal shame :)

lostdragon
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby lostdragon » Tue Nov 15, 2016 6:07 pm

Found old Jeremy Heath-smith quote regarding Frentic:

"...we were so envious of the Bitmaps, who'd just done Xenon, and we always believe we can do a game better than anyone else but we crashed and burned big style on that one."

dlfrsilver
Atari God
Atari God

Postby dlfrsilver » Sun Nov 20, 2016 3:37 pm

Frenetic had no success and was a fail ? shame, because it has this nice coin-op smell.

Social Media

Return to “Games - General”