All about ST/STE games

Moderators: simonsunnyboy, Mug UK, Doctor Bob Gordon, ICS, Moderator Team

coy
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Midwinter corrupted

Postby coy » Sat Jan 03, 2009 5:49 pm

hi,

it's about the jinx version of midwinter; althought the games itself works perfectly, the save/restore option is corrupted (picture is corrupted and you cannot do anything more, when loading a saved game); so if someone is interested in this game, it's better to check another version (i quickly tested the automation one -263- and it seems to work...)

i'm quite disgusted as i got pretty far in the game :? (If someone know a proper version of it, thanks for letting me know...)

coy
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Re: Midwinter corrupted

Postby coy » Sun Jan 04, 2009 8:49 am

sorry to persist on the same problem, but i tried all version of the game Mindwinter i found:

Medway Boys 64 => bad boot sector
Pompey Pirates 28 => the game doesn't load after the title screen
SuperGau 198&199 (Ford Perfect) => bad boot sector
Vectronix 361 => disk doesn't work with steem; it does with stew but it crashes after the title screen

only two version works :

Automation 263 and the Midwinter version cracked by jinks; but you just cannot load a saved game with both theses versions (it says 'no file on disc' with the Automation version while with the jinx one, the picture is corrupted - see post above)

I have formatted a blank disk the way it is requested before saving

So i'm asking:

- did i make something wrong?
- has anyone here played this game before and without any problem so it could explain me how to fix it?

Here's my configuration :

Steem 1.6 (i tried all TOS versions), 1mb

many thanks for any suggestions

coy

Klapauzius
The Klaz
The Klaz

Postby Klapauzius » Sun Jan 04, 2009 9:45 am

Hm, both Automation and Medway Boys version work fine for me - saving and loading is ok.

Coy, try to not use an extra save disk, but save your game(s) directly onto the menu disks. There's room for a few save games on both menus.
Also be sure to not use a ZIP file, but unpack the menu disk images before playing them with Steem.

As you said you have problems with the bootsector of the Medway Boys version, here's one with the bootsector intact (it's needed for loading the menu in).

PS: when you say "Steem 1.6" I assume you mean a current version of Steem running TOS 1.6(2)?
Well, if it's Steem version 1.6, then you should really upgrade to the latest version. ;-)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
http://www.klapauzius.net
http://dbug.kicks-ass.net/klaz

The tears are welling in my eyes again, I need twenty big buckets to catch them in, twenty pretty girls to carry them down, twenty deep holes to bury them in.

ppera

Postby ppera » Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:13 am

This is what I talked about: WEB is full with corrupted image files. And I don't think that original cracks are bad in most of such cases. Just people who made large 'collections' screwed up them - by modding bootsector for instance. As all it was made without further testing of games (maybe just checked does it starts) we have what we have.

It would be good to make some interactive list of bad images available (on planetemu for instance). I can do all technical things - similar as compatibility list, but I'm afraid that it will be just almost empty list waiting people to contribute...

coy
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby coy » Sun Jan 04, 2009 12:06 pm

Coy, try to not use an extra save disk, but save your game(s) directly onto the menu disks. There's room for a few save games on both menus.

ok, i've just tried you manipulation with the automation disk; it just works well! I was convinced that you have to format a blank disk as described in the manual, and also because i already tried to save directly on the Jinks Midwinter disk but the game refused to did it, that's why i didn't check with the automation version :oops: thanks Klapauzius, you saved me again! :P

As you said you have problems with the bootsector of the Medway Boys version, here's one with the bootsector intact

sorry i downloaded your version but it's just the same, the screen keep flashing blue but doesn't load (but if it works with you, i guess the mistake comes from me :roll: ); anyway it doesn't matter now...

man, i was speaking about Steem 3.2 and TOS 1.6 of course :)

It would be good to make some interactive list of bad images available

i can't help with a bad images listing as i don't keep them of course (i can remember for some of them though)... in the other hand, i can give a list of games i successfully tested (about 90) giving details like trainer included or not, things like that; both intro title screen and end picture are included in all of them; they can be pasti or pirates versions but also new release coming from Atarilegend, Dbug and of course Klapauzius ( :cheers: ); also, about adventure games and when they have been translated in, i keep the french version (but most of the time, it concerns only Lucas and games which comes from french company like Delphine or Silmaris, the rest are in english...)

that's all! if i can contribute with giving my little list, i would be happy to help :)

Mug UK
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mug UK » Sun Jan 04, 2009 4:17 pm

Have you, by any chance, got 4Mb in your STEEM config? Certain Medway Boys anti-virus bootsectors (i.e v1, v2 & v3) wouldn't work on a 4Mb machine and therefore would complain that you've got some kind of virus? Wizzcat / Deltaforce coded a fixed bootsector (v4) which worked on 4Mb machines.

Or is it, as Klaz hints at, a requirement for the game - I'm only guessing as I've not downloaded that file that Klaz has posted.
My main site: http://www.mug-uk.co.uk - slowly digging up the bits from my past (and re-working a few): Atari ST, Sega 8-bit (game hacks) and NDS (Music ripping guide).

I develop a free Word (for Windows) add-in that's available for Word 2007 upwards. It's a fix-it toolbox that will allow power Word users to fix document errors. You can find it at: http://www.mikestoolbox.co.uk

Klapauzius
The Klaz
The Klaz

Postby Klapauzius » Sun Jan 04, 2009 5:19 pm

The reason why the Medway Boys version doesn't work for coy is: missing Pasti.dll in Steem. :-)

The tears are welling in my eyes again, I need twenty big buckets to catch them in, twenty pretty girls to carry them down, twenty deep holes to bury them in.

ppera

Postby ppera » Mon Jan 05, 2009 1:17 pm

coy wrote:
It would be good to make some interactive list of bad images available

i can't help with a bad images listing as i don't keep them of course (i can remember for some of them though)... in the other hand, i can give a list of games i successfully tested (about 90) giving details like trainer included or not, things like that; both intro title screen and end picture are included in all of them; they can be pasti or pirates versions but also new release coming from Atarilegend, Dbug and of course Klapauzius ( :cheers: ); also, about adventure games and when they have been translated in, i keep the french version (but most of the time, it concerns only Lucas and games which comes from french company like Delphine or Silmaris, the rest are in english...)

I think that you don't understand the point. It should spare people from wasting time and annoying. And maybe can have some influence on site maintainers to correct or at least remove bad files.
I don't think that we need special adverts for well known releasers. Of course, you are free to test and post whatever you want.

coy
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby coy » Mon Jan 05, 2009 5:09 pm

@ Klaz: yes, it works fine this time with the 'pasti steem' i've got (i work with two Steem; one strictly reserved for pasti images(.stx ) , and the other steem for all other kind of images (st, msa, stt...). As the medway image you attached in your post isn't a .stx format, i just don't understand in what way the pasti.dll plays a part... and i'm just really surprised!! I thought 'Pasti.dll' was only useful for .stx files and nothing else, and never the idea to run your medway in my 'pasti steem' would have come to me in my mind. A fact is that i don't know anything about that kind of trick :? I play the game and that's all :lol: good thing to know anyway, it will certainly be useful to me later. Thanks for this... :D

@ppera: yep, fault is mine, as i didn't understand (and i must admit, still don't very well) what you meant in your post :oops: ... i go back to my English practice...

coy
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby coy » Mon Jan 05, 2009 5:26 pm

(about medway image)

error! after the protection test, the game ask for the graphics discs and then, there are 4 nice bombs on the screen... is there a trick this time? :roll:

remowilliams
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby remowilliams » Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:25 pm

I have PASTI images of my Midwinter originals but you would need to get past the ID protection, and I haven't scanned that manual yet.

coy
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby coy » Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:19 pm

hi remowilliams,

i'm very interested in it! would it be possible for you to upload the pasti here :) ? i remember having seen a scan of the ID protection somewhere, i think i could easily find it back...

remowilliams
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby remowilliams » Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:30 pm

Sure, here you go. :)

MIDWINTG.zip
MIDWINTM.zip
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

coy
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby coy » Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:42 pm

got it! thanks a lot remo, you've just made a 'retrogameplayer' happy :D ! i immediately go for a search on the net for the code... it shouln't be too difficult

thanks again :wink:

coy
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby coy » Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:11 am

found it! for those who are interested in, here's the address http://www.consolpassion.org/notices%20atari1.htm; both manual and security check are in french, but i think it's easily comprehensible (i'm not sure that's the right term) by everyone as there's is a picture above each name :)

thanks goes to remowilliams for the upload :)

coy
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby coy » Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:28 am

bad news again :( (at least for me); i just played the game for a quick check about the saving/restoring manipulation; i made this check with a blank formated disc this time as the image is a pasti; once the game has loaded, the main character has lost all his abilities; since the party is new (i didn't touched anything in the game), it has no sense... also, when looking on the map, the zoom function goes crazy and don't stop zooming; then, when you're back on the main screen, the game start loading data, and finally there's a message coming from steem and saying "Pasti Warning - Drive: A, Side: 0, Track:82. Seek verify on unimaged track". Then again, it is asked to insert the graphics disc while it is already in the drive... in one word, THAT DOESN'T WORK AT ALL AND I'M STARTING TO GET FED UP WITH THIS STUPID @#ù§§ù$ of game :x :x :x

sorry, but i feel better now 8); i'm just gonna give up with the idea of having my nice saved games on a nice blank formated disc... if the mistakes comes from me (which souldn't be a surprised), thanks for correct me (again)

coy, the unhappy Midwinter player :cry:

remowilliams
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby remowilliams » Tue Jan 06, 2009 4:27 am

Saving/loading games can be problematic when Pasti images are involved. Try using Steem's ability to load/save memory snapshots of the entire emulated ST.

ijor
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby ijor » Tue Jan 06, 2009 4:46 am

I'm afraid I have no time now to check what is (or could be the problem), but Midwinter has no on-disk copy protection (at least on the versions I've seen, didn't check the Remowilliams dump). So probably there is no real need to use Pasti images. In case what you want is to use an original/uncracked version, then you can copy these Pasti Images to plain ST images.

Anyway, what Klaz was talking about was probably something else. That you need Pasti.DLL for the crack, not that you need Pasti images. This happens sometimes, because the FDC emulation implemented in Pasti is more accurate than the Steem's internal one. Sometimes all you need is to enable "Accurate Disk Access Times" in Steem, this option doesn't require Pasti (actually it's ignored by Pasti).

A few recommendations when you have troubles running games:
- Use TOS 1.2 or TOS 1.0.
- Use a TOS matching the software country release (Uk in most cases).
- Set your emulator for 1 MB of RAM.
- Disable Steem Hard Disks.
- Turn off drive B.

These aren't fixed rules. Many times you don't need them, sometimes you actually need something different. But off the top of my head (I probably forgot something), this would give you the most compatibility.

Lastly, I agree with remowilliams. In most cases it is much easier to load/save memory snapshots.

Klapauzius
The Klaz
The Klaz

Postby Klapauzius » Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:26 am

coy wrote:bad news again :( (at least for me); i just played the game for a quick check about the saving/restoring manipulation; i made this check with a blank formated disc this time as the image is a pasti; once the game has loaded, the main character has lost all his abilities; since the party is new (i didn't touched anything in the game), it has no sense

Hm, why don't you just use the Automation version? I thought this one works for you (including game save/load)?

coy wrote:... also, when looking on the map, the zoom function goes crazy and don't stop zooming; then, when you're back on the main screen, the game start loading data, and finally there's a message coming from steem and saying "Pasti Warning - Drive: A, Side: 0, Track:82. Seek verify on unimaged track". Then again, it is asked to insert the graphics disc while it is already in the drive...

Without having the time for further investigation: this MIGHT point to an unproper Pasti image (not all relevant tracks imaged), although it's just a seek operation, which means that at this point the game doesn't actually try to read data from this track.

If you still want to play the original then I'd second the recommendations by remowilliams and ijor (use Steem's memory snapshot feature). :-)

ijor wrote:Anyway, what Klaz was talking about was probably something else. That you need Pasti.DLL for the crack, not that you need Pasti images. This happens sometimes, because the FDC emulation implemented in Pasti is more accurate than the Steem's internal one.

Yes, that's what I intended to express. :-)

Welcome back ijor, btw!
You surely have been misssed! :-)

coy
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby coy » Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:24 pm

hi,

i know about the steem snapshot function, and of course, it is much more practical than a standard saving format; i use it very often, trust me! But the fact is i also like to keep classic saves of games i played and completed when it is possible (most of time, it's for big games like adventure, rpg or strategy like carrier command and this one). To resume during a play, i use the snapshot function, then at some typicals/importants moments of a game, i make a save on a blank disk (or directly in a folder when the game is hd-instalable), then i store these saves in a specific folder that i keep carefully... that's just my way to play...

in a way, this responds a little bit to Klapauzius :

Hm, why don't you just use the Automation version? I thought this one works for you (including game save/load)?

why i don't use this one? well, you may find this ridiculous but when testing an image, i put the original in a folder and don't touch it anymore; then i make a copy of this image and play with it so i can allow myself to do whatever i want with, without any fears (like using the Steem fast forward key or playing the game with a higher cpu set in Steem, but also especially because i abuse a lot of the load/save snaphot mode...); i don't think (but still don't know) that could corrupt a clean image but i don't want to take any risk at all with it. I know this doen't answer at all at your question but wait! :wink: The automation image may be clean, but supposing i play with it because i can save/restore the way i like (classic save), in the same time i cannot put these save in an other disc (or folder), that's mean i have to take the risk to corrup the disc while playing (see what i explain just above - mistreat the image), i wouldn't feel secure about it; of course, you could tell me that i can just put the original automation in a safe folder then play with a copy of it and use it also as saving disc in the same time; but so in that way, i will have then 2 automation images, and for me, it makes no sens and i'm not interested in it. You may think i'm not easy, but this is my way to see things... sorry about this long :coffe: and not very clear (i know) explanation, but i hope you will understand the global sens of it :?

Finally, i decided to keep the Jinks Mindwinter version (sic! 8O all that for that... sorry :oops: ), and make an exception with keeping 'big/important' saves with the snapshot mode... i know i'm not easy at all :lol:

Anyway, what Klaz was talking about was probably something else. That you need Pasti.DLL for the crack, not that you need Pasti images.

yes that what i said in a sooner post, meaning i didn't know this trick at all (to use PASTI.DLL for crack) and was glad to have learn it. but about the Medway disc (i run it with the PASTI.DLL), there's still something wrong with it; after the protection test, the game ask for the graphics discs and then, 4 bombs appears on the screen (i think it means Illegal Instruction). Any ideas?

By the way, i find that the game is truly excellent, and i was wondering about Midwinter 2? is it as good as the first one? :)

AtariForEver
Atarian
Atarian

Postby AtariForEver » Tue Oct 04, 2016 10:03 pm

Midwinter was not protected except the security check ( one byte hack to bypass it). I remember because I bought the game and made a copy and altered just one byte to avoid the stupid protection ;)

Social Media

Return to “Games - General”