All about ST/STE games

Moderators: simonsunnyboy, Mug UK, Doctor Bob Gordon, ICS, Moderator Team

ryo
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Team 17

Postby ryo » Tue Jan 29, 2008 6:36 pm

Hello,

What are the team 17 games was converted on ST?

Thanks.

Mug UK
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Team 17

Postby Mug UK » Tue Jan 29, 2008 7:12 pm

Don't think any were converted off the top of my head. Unless anyone knows of any 'fan conversions'?

Can't get onto Lemon Amiga at this very second to do a comparison with AL's site data.
My main site: http://www.mug-uk.co.uk - slowly digging up the bits from my past (and re-working a few): Atari ST, Sega 8-bit (game hacks) and NDS (Music ripping guide).

I develop a free Word (for Windows) add-in that's available for Word 2007 upwards. It's a fix-it toolbox that will allow power Word users to fix document errors. You can find it at: http://www.mikestoolbox.co.uk

bullis1
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby bullis1 » Tue Jan 29, 2008 7:28 pm

I'm 99% sure that NONE of their games were converted to ST.

Some did make it onto PC though, and Worms got ported to a few other platforms.

PaulB
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby PaulB » Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:09 pm

I've never heard of any games by them on the ST but Worms Pinball (pc) is the best pinball game I've played on any machine.

STcomp
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby STcomp » Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:59 pm

There were at least some games made for the ST by fans of Alien Breed. There was Alien Thing, Alien Thing Expert Edition and Alien Thing Directors Cut (demo only) all based heavily on Alien Breed. The latter looked the most like the real thing but was never released as a complete game, as far as I know. I have originals of the other two in my collection so I know they exist. They are great games! Also there was Storm and Storm 94 (an ST and an STe version) by LAPD. I own both of those too, but they suck.

guythp
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby guythp » Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:00 pm

I think all of Team 17 were amiga demo coders and the like (didn't the name have something to do with the 17bit PD library?.. Probably not.), so they probably lacked the knowledge to code a real mans machine ( ;) )..

And how can you say worms pinball is the best pinball game? Pinball Dreams; Ignition table is the best one on any machine ever. :D
The Hairy Pies

unseenmenace
Atari God
Atari God

Postby unseenmenace » Wed Jan 30, 2008 12:44 am

Worms made it onto the Jaguar but I think thats about it
UNSEEN MENACE
Several STFM's, 4MB STE, 2MB TT with 1.2GB Hard Drive and 14MB Falcon with 540MB Hard Drive,
Lynx 2 and Jaguar with JagCD
Member of GamebaseST and AtariLegend team
Check out my website at http://unseenmenace.110mb.com

bullis1
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby bullis1 » Thu Jan 31, 2008 1:52 pm

As for Alien Breed alikes on ST: Alien Blast is good.

As for best pinball games: Pinball Fantasies on PC/Amiga/Jaguar or Last Gladiators for Sega Saturn.

As for Team 17 on ST: never happened (unfortunately)

Marakatti
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Marakatti » Thu Jan 31, 2008 6:10 pm

bullis1 wrote:As for Team 17 on ST: never happened (unfortunately)

Don't know if that's a big los since most Team 17 games are pushing Amiga hardware quite a lot. So on ST it would have probably meant another crappy scrolling or splitscreen rush conversions...

Of course it would have been another story if ST-coders would have done the conversions...
-------------< Member of Atarimania >-----------
-< ST / STe / Falcon030 / TT030 archiver >-
-------------> www.atarimania.com <-------------

Mug UK
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mug UK » Thu Jan 31, 2008 6:32 pm

unseenmenace wrote:Worms made it onto the Jaguar but I think thats about it

Every Jagfest in the UK, there's always a compo based around the game. There are those who are crap at it (like me), there are those who play to win .. and then there are those who are well known for their most imaginative (but unplanned) suicides :)
My main site: http://www.mug-uk.co.uk - slowly digging up the bits from my past (and re-working a few): Atari ST, Sega 8-bit (game hacks) and NDS (Music ripping guide).

I develop a free Word (for Windows) add-in that's available for Word 2007 upwards. It's a fix-it toolbox that will allow power Word users to fix document errors. You can find it at: http://www.mikestoolbox.co.uk

bullis1
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby bullis1 » Thu Jan 31, 2008 7:10 pm

If you want some Worms-style action on ST, try this shareware game: http://www.atarilegend.com/games/games_ ... me_id=3739
It's not as good, but it's fun with friends.

bod/STAX
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby bod/STAX » Thu Jan 31, 2008 7:33 pm

I've always thought that certain machines had companies that new the hardware of their specific machines and how to push it to it's limit. Amiga had Team 17, C64 had Thalamus and we had Thalion. Any conversions of games to other platforms wern't quite so good.
So let it be written, So let it be done. I'm sent here by the chosen one.

bullis1
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby bullis1 » Thu Jan 31, 2008 7:49 pm

bod/STAX wrote:I've always thought that certain machines had companies that new the hardware of their specific machines and how to push it to it's limit. Amiga had Team 17, C64 had Thalamus and we had Thalion. Any conversions of games to other platforms wern't quite so good.

Amiga had Psygnosis for the most part, as well. A couple of their games were originally ST releases, but 90% of them were Amiga games that had inferior ports to ST. They were never much more than good gfx+music, anyway.

ST had some other hardware pushers, but they came too late for the most part, or were producing shareware. Here's some other HW pushing devs:
-Unique Development Sweden
-Bloodhouse
-Spiral Mile
-Cunning & Devious Games

Desty
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Desty » Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:43 pm

bod/STAX wrote:C64 had Thalamus

Snare rocked :) Even the totally ridiculous ending...
tá'n poc ar buile!

Mug UK
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mug UK » Fri Feb 01, 2008 1:07 pm

Preferred Delta & Quedex myself :)

bod/STAX
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby bod/STAX » Fri Feb 01, 2008 6:12 pm

I loved Delta, Armalyte and Hawkeye. From Team 17 Project X (The reason I bought my Amiga - just to play this after seeing it on the Team 17 stand at the PC show at Earls Court) and Superfrog. I could never get into Worms though. I liked what a mate of mine did to his copy of Worms - change the samples and one was the Samuel L. Jackson bible passage from Pulp Fiction that played just before he blew a worm away! - Pretty cool.
So let it be written, So let it be done. I'm sent here by the chosen one.

deez
Atarian
Atarian

Postby deez » Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:26 am

Team17 never released any ST games, I doubt they ever even considered porting an amiga game.

Having said that, a few years ago I found an ST gathering dust in a book shelf down the design department (I used to work for Team17). Dont know if it belonged to the company or one of its employees.

Fredrik.

bullis1
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby bullis1 » Mon Feb 04, 2008 3:30 pm

Cool anecdote. I wonder why it was there?

Got any other cool Team17 stories?

deez
Atarian
Atarian

Postby deez » Mon Feb 04, 2008 9:47 pm

No idea what it was doing so far behind enemy lines so to speak. I was only there for a few years and not during the amiga days so not much else to tell really. They're a great bunch of guys even though the company has changed somewhat. Going from being famous for really mastering the hardware to 'putting game play first'.

Ironically I now work with Andreas Tadic (whom I only met for the first time last year when he joined the company I'm currently at), maybe I'll ask him tomorrow about the infamous ST :)

dlfrsilver
Atari God
Atari God

Postby dlfrsilver » Fri Feb 08, 2008 6:10 pm

alien breed has a cheat mode, if you type ST mode or something like that, custom chips are OFF, and the game is meant to
run at an ST speed, smooth, but very slowww !
Now SPS France representative since the 19th of June 2014. Proud to be an SPS member !

guythp
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby guythp » Sat Feb 09, 2008 1:45 am

dlfrsilver wrote:alien breed has a cheat mode, if you type ST mode or something like that, custom chips are OFF, and the game is meant to
run at an ST speed, smooth, but very slowww !

If they'd managed to have coded that cheat to be displayed inside a box with EQUAL borders, then I'd've been impressed ;) Team 17 always suggested, to me at least; well coded, great graphics, great music but not really great gameplay.. I guess the same could be said of thalion on the ST for some games - ie: technical achievement over content. I'm not saying that Team 17 (or, indeed Thalion) games weren't fun to play, but the sheer technical showcase (although I speak mainly for Thalion here) certainly helped goad the impression of great gameplay. But maybe that's just me.
The Hairy Pies

dlfrsilver
Atari God
Atari God

Postby dlfrsilver » Sun Feb 10, 2008 2:10 am

alien breed tower assault is a brilliant game, with perfect playability....

project X is not that great for playability :(
Now SPS France representative since the 19th of June 2014. Proud to be an SPS member !

Social Media

Return to “Games - General”