Help (walkthrough) needed for "Black Dawn" text-adventure

All about ST/STE games

Moderators: simonsunnyboy, Mug UK, Doctor Bob Gordon, ICS, Moderator Team

LongLifeA1200
Atarian
Atarian

Help (walkthrough) needed for "Black Dawn" text-adventure

Postby LongLifeA1200 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:39 am

Hello text-adventure fans. Any of you had any luck with finishing Black Dawn? I'm currently stuck outside the city. Managed to open the gate to the city, however I can't figure out how to get past the electric field. Appreciate any help with this game.

Mug UK
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Help (walkthrough) needed for "Black Dawn" text-adventure

Postby Mug UK » Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:44 pm

I never did work out how to remove the protection from a compiled STAC adventure (maybe someone else did?).

The large archive of adventure walkthroughs - https://www.solutionarchive.com/ - doesn't list this game either :(
My main site: http://www.mug-uk.co.uk - slowly digging up the bits from my past (and re-working a few): Atari ST, Sega 8-bit (game hacks) and NDS (Music ripping guide).

I develop a free Word (for Windows) add-in that's available for Word 2007 upwards. It's a fix-it toolbox that will allow power Word users to fix document errors. You can find it at: http://www.mikestoolbox.co.uk

siriushardware
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby siriushardware » Thu Aug 29, 2019 6:51 pm

LongLifeA1200, just for you (and out of curiosity) I downloaded this and got myself up to the point where you were stuck, having also figured out how to open the gate.

To get past the electric field which prevents you from entering the city even after you open the gate, you need to have something from the cave which the beast in the location to the south of the city gates prevents you from getting into.

Did you manage to get into the cave yet?

LongLifeA1200
Atarian
Atarian

Postby LongLifeA1200 » Fri Sep 20, 2019 3:00 pm

Thanks for the responses. Glad to see there is still some interest for this game.

Mug UK wrote:The large archive of adventure walkthroughs - https://www.solutionarchive.com/ - doesn't list this game either :(

Thanks for recommending that website. Didn't know about it before. Very good site.

siriushardware wrote:LongLifeA1200, just for you (and out of curiosity) I downloaded this and got myself up to the point where you were stuck, having also figured out how to open the gate.

To get past the electric field which prevents you from entering the city even after you open the gate, you need to have something from the cave which the beast in the location to the south of the city gates prevents you from getting into.

Did you manage to get into the cave yet?

Yes, got into the cave. Found only one item; a Platinum Ring. Retrieved it. What should I do now?

siriushardware
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby siriushardware » Sat Sep 21, 2019 10:22 pm

As far as I remember, you automatically wear the ring when you take it, but if not, make sure you are wearing it. Then, go through the other process required to open the door. Wearing the ring, you should be able to pass north through the opened gate (and the force field) unharmed.

siriushardware
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby siriushardware » Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:59 am

As far as the game itself is concerned I didn't play it much beyond the point where you were stuck.

Unnecessary use of bad language turns me off, and although the writer obviously has a good imagination and a wide spoken vocabulary, there are quite a few basic spelling mistakes which are not acceptable in a text adventure, where text is obviously the main medium / interface. One example is the frequent use of "Your" when the author actually means "You're" (Short for 'You are').

LongLifeA1200
Atarian
Atarian

Postby LongLifeA1200 » Tue Sep 24, 2019 2:35 am

siriushardware wrote:As far as I remember, you automatically wear the ring when you take it, but if not, make sure you are wearing it. Then, go through the other process required to open the door. Wearing the ring, you should be able to pass north through the opened gate (and the force field) unharmed.

When I try "wear ring" the game replies "It won't fit."
Even with it simply in my inventory, I can't pass without getting zapped.
I don't know why it won't work for me.

siriushardware
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby siriushardware » Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:59 pm

I'll try it again and this time I'll write down the exact steps. Back in a day or so.

Mug UK
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mug UK » Wed Sep 25, 2019 7:11 am

Maybe use Trizbort to help you with making a map for it as you go through it?

https://trizbort.genstein.net/
My main site: http://www.mug-uk.co.uk - slowly digging up the bits from my past (and re-working a few): Atari ST, Sega 8-bit (game hacks) and NDS (Music ripping guide).

I develop a free Word (for Windows) add-in that's available for Word 2007 upwards. It's a fix-it toolbox that will allow power Word users to fix document errors. You can find it at: http://www.mikestoolbox.co.uk

siriushardware
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby siriushardware » Thu Sep 26, 2019 12:14 am

longLifeA1200, sorry, I misinformed you. There's another object in the Beast's cave, have another look around in there.

That's the item you need to be wearing before you go IN through the opened gates.

Remember to pick up the item which hits you on the knee when the gates open, and have any other items you've found with you before you go through the gate.

Did you have any luck with the hedgehog, SW from the cave beast? I have no idea what I'm supposed to do there.

LongLifeA1200
Atarian
Atarian

Postby LongLifeA1200 » Thu Sep 26, 2019 3:23 am

Mug UK wrote:Maybe use Trizbort to help you with making a map for it as you go through it?

Interesting tool. Thanks for recommending.

siriushardware wrote:longLifeA1200, sorry, I misinformed you. There's another object in the Beast's cave, have another look around in there.

Thank you. I can't believe I missed that the first time. Lesson learned.
Finally, I'm in the city! Can't wait to explore it when I have some free time.

siriushardware wrote:Did you have any luck with the hedgehog, SW from the cave beast? I have no idea what I'm supposed to do there.

None so far. All I know is that he wears the most stylish sunglasses ever.

LongLifeA1200
Atarian
Atarian

Postby LongLifeA1200 » Thu Sep 26, 2019 12:28 pm

You're right about text adventure games not needing swearing.

My score hasn't changed since I've entered the city. I've progressed enough now to get stuck in an back alley somewhere. I'm out of ideas here.

Discovered by accident the "take all" command. Restarted to see if I missed anything. Although I've kept more of my health and stamina this time, my score is lower than last. :? Don't know what I did to get extra 20 points before - maybe it's just a bug.

siriushardware
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby siriushardware » Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:03 pm

LongLifeA1200 wrote:Thank you. I can't believe I missed that the first time. Lesson learned.

Well, I would say that was intended to happen, so don't beat yourself up over it. I know I have criticised the game for bad language and some incorrect spelling but this was one example of the way in which the author sometimes demonstrates a good intuitive grasp of human nature.

He 'hid' the other object by giving you something else about the corpse which was so fascinating that you went straight to that and overlooked the possibility that there might be something else to find - a textbook example of misdirection or 'sleight of hand'...

I don't remember having much trouble getting out of the alley, flag up if you really get stuck there and I'll try playing through that bit again.

LongLifeA1200
Atarian
Atarian

Postby LongLifeA1200 » Fri Sep 27, 2019 2:49 am

I'm going to need another hint.

There's a cat amongst the trash, but whatever I do I scare it away.
I can't go south in case I get spotted.
The game seems to be hinting I should do something about the tiny gap between the locked door and wall.

siriushardware
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby siriushardware » Sun Sep 29, 2019 11:28 pm

Hmm, well. I played through it again up to the alley and this time I'm stuck! I really did think I'd got past that stage last time.

I'm aware of the cat, which manifests itself when you look at the dustbins, and you may have noticed that the description says it has something silver in its mouth, but so far whenever I have tried to interact with it, it has run off. I've got the game saved in the alley just before the cat so I'll have another go to see what I can come up with.

In the meantime it might be an idea to recap all of the objects, some edible, which should have been encountered by that point and may still be in inventory, such as:

Coins
Recorder (From crashed ship)
Biscuit (From crashed ship)
Bread (From Naturoid's hut)
Card (From Naturoid's hut)
Fruit (From hedgehog location)
Wristband (From beast cave)
Ring (From beast cave)
Note (From bar)
Emerald (From museum)
Potato (From cell)

Did I forget anything? If the Sunglasses worn by the hedgehog are obtainable, I still have not worked out how.

LongLifeA1200
Atarian
Atarian

Postby LongLifeA1200 » Mon Sep 30, 2019 5:00 am

That's all I could find too. It'd be a shame if the adventure ended here. How is Lord Karn going to be stopped from invading Earth now?

siriushardware
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby siriushardware » Mon Sep 30, 2019 6:30 pm

The cat is another example of something which could have been handled better, as it is 'created' when you examine the bins and continues to exist, even though you can't see it in front of you, until you try to interact with the 'invisible' cat, whereupon it spits in your face and disappears - and somehow manages to do that without ejecting whatever the silver thing was that it had in its mouth.

For as long as the cat is there there should be little 'cat activity' messages to let you know the cat is still there
"The cat sits down and starts to wash itself"
"The cat twines itself around your legs, purring"
"The cat stares past you, looking intently at something you can't see"
"The cat yawns and stretches out to its full length with its eyes closed"
"The cat rolls around on its back, claws slashing the air, tail twitching"

... and so on, all just to let you know the cat is still there and waiting for you to do something. The game doesn't do this, so it's not obvious whether it's worth spending time trying to interact with the cat or not. The game should handle some predictable actions, such as 'Pet Cat, Stroke Cat, Feed Cat', since these are obvious things which people might try with a cat. It doesn't. You could also have 'Swing Cat', in which case the game might reply 'There isn't enough room'.

If you examine the gap you are told 'It's a really groovy gap'. If you try to do pretty much anything else with the gap you are told 'but the door is locked', as though you can't do anything with the gap until the door is open anyway. If you just try to open the door the game says 'But you know you don't have the key', which usually implies that there is a key which has to be found. Maybe that's what's in the cat's mouth, although why a cat would have a key in its mouth is anyone's guess?

siriushardware
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby siriushardware » Mon Sep 30, 2019 8:32 pm

More observations: In the Naturoid's hut there is a chair, which if examined, looks unsafe. If you sit on it you end up with a splinter stuck in you and lose some health. However, the splinter is not a real object that you can pull out and keep, so it seems like this is an intentional distraction / dead end and it doesn't gain you any more objects. Also in the Naturoid's hut is come cocaine which you can attempt to take or use but the Naturoid will not let you, not that I had the slightest interest in doing so anyway.

The only way to make the Hedgehog pause in his 'routine' is to say something to him, like 'Hedgehog * Hello', in which case he removes his sunglasses and smiles at you - but he doesn't put them down and you still can't get them. Logically you need to stop him from sunbathing somehow, maybe by shading him or covering him with something - no idea what.

The apparently on-rails nature of the game doesn't help either, even in the short section we have played there are at least two apparent points of no return so once you leave the early part of the game with the Naturoid and Hedgehog, it doesn't seem like you can ever go back there with objects not yet discovered.- not at the moment anyway.

LongLifeA1200
Atarian
Atarian

Postby LongLifeA1200 » Tue Oct 01, 2019 2:19 am

Yeah, the game is intentionally and unintentionally tough.

I made some progress. I decided not to wait for the cat to react first. So I wouldn't call it a "scruffy cat" as the game suggests, rather a "scaredy cat".

Now at a fountain with a new code (third one) and unsure what to do.

siriushardware
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby siriushardware » Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:54 pm

Thanks for that - I didn't feel that was a particularly rational solution to the cat problem, but there it is. I suppose 'Perform Heimlich manouvre on cat' might have been taking it a bit too far.

Dear me, the spelling in this game.

I was forced to refer to the rifles as 'riffles' when I tried to examine them because that's how the game spells them, not only in the location description but as a key word.

The library door didn't hold me up for too long. Now at the same place as you are, with a new four digit code (and in possession of one of my own detached ears). The only apparent waypoints are the rickety bridge and the juggler, unless you can do something with the fountain itself of course.

LongLifeA1200
Atarian
Atarian

Postby LongLifeA1200 » Sat Oct 05, 2019 2:13 pm

I couldn't wait and decided to take a look at a memory dump from Steem. Noticed that the player can indeed cross the bridge over the chasm in the north, despite the bridge collapsing in either scenario. The game dares you to cross the bridge, the trick is to be light enough.

Fortunately, from what I gleamed, I didn't spoil anything further for myself.

What a "Why didn't I think of that?" moment!

siriushardware
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby siriushardware » Sat Oct 05, 2019 3:42 pm

I haven't been back to follow up on your hint but I was thinking along the lines of 'Dare to cross bridge', or something like that. I'm away from my ST at the moment, I will try to make further progress when I get back to base.

This puts me in mind of a time when, strangely enough, playing a text adventure could be quite a sociable activity with a bunch of friends sitting around the computer all trying to brainstorm their way through the puzzles. The person sitting at the keyboard was usually the fastest / best typist.

It's hard to imagine something so low-tech holding such fascination for a group of people the same age now as I was then - probably late teens / early twenties. For me, the masters of the art then were (and are still) Infocom - I own quite a few of their titles for the ST and even now have yet to complete some of them, like 'Trinity' for example.

On the British scene during the 8-bit era we had 'Level 9' who wrote some decent games, and then going into the 16-bit era we had 'Magnetic Scrolls' who obviously aspired to be the British Infocom, and their games, like 'The Pawn' and 'Guild Of Thieves' and 'Jinxter' weren't bad at all.

siriushardware
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby siriushardware » Mon Oct 07, 2019 5:12 pm

OK, over the bridge now although I can see myself having to go back to the save point before crossing it quite a few times over before I arrive at the weight configuration which is the most compatible with my being able to continue through the game.

Didn't get far though, I'm with the two goons guarding the Palace door, and with no other way to go it looks as though that's the next obstacle to overcome.

Social Media

Return to “Games - General”