Never Ported respectively released for ST

All about ST/STE games

Moderators: simonsunnyboy, Mug UK, Doctor Bob Gordon, ICS, Moderator Team

dlfrsilver
Atari God
Atari God

Re: Never Ported respectively released for ST

Postby dlfrsilver » Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:47 pm

I fully understood why the game wasn't going to appear..games were being developed on far more powerful hardware for the PC and the American market. ..

It's just the way it was handled.

It was obvious to STFM owners like myself that developers had switched to producing games on the Amiga 1st, with ST versions following month or months behind..If at all..

And that the PC was becoming a major force in the USA..where the ST was a long dead format, so it wouldn't of offended me for them to be brutally honest and just say the hardware can't handle it and there simply isn't a viable commercial market to have someone convert it to the ST.

Lucasarts had deals in publishing with publishers locally, us gold for UK, Ubisoft for France, Softgold for germany, etc.

Have you seen how the SCUMM engine is, i mean how the datas are in the files ?

The file structure is exactly the same on Amiga as it is on PC. And i guess that their tool was batching all the graphics from 256 to 32 colors.

I'm sure they have done some tests to port Indy 4 on Atari ST. and the results were bad, hence the sentence you read.

Indy 4 is just a huge game, with tons of graphics, so that's impossible to have someone rework all of them in 16 colors.

the problem for releasing indy 4 on ST was technical, and not a market problem. Because they knew they would have sold lots of them on the ST, considering the huge license it is still to this day.
Now SPS France representative since the 19th of June 2014. Proud to be an SPS member !

ijor
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby ijor » Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:00 pm

dlfrsilver wrote:Indy 4 is just a huge game, with tons of graphics, so that's impossible to have someone rework all of them in 16 colors.
the problem for releasing indy 4 on ST was technical, and not a market problem. Because they knew they would have sold lots of them on the ST, considering the huge license it is still to this day.

It is always a matter of marketing. Lots of games were ported to the PC with CGA and they look, honestly, pretty ugly. For the huge PC market it usually was worth, in that case they didn't care about technical limitations.

lostdragon
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby lostdragon » Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:58 pm

I'm no doubting anything on technical side of Indy 4, but by time it was annouced, KEY UK publishers/software houses etc were reporting the rapid decline in ST copies of their games compared to the Amiga.

People:like:Audiogenic, Virgin, Bitmap Bros, David Braben, Reflections etc etc.

The ST market was just dissapearing like snow before the sun.

lostdragon
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby lostdragon » Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:05 pm

alexh wrote:You think they might have it in a backup?

I'm interested but not trawling through millions of pages to find something which may or may not exist.

Especially as there was an unreleased overhead tank game which used rotating playfields called Rotator by Rainbow Arts written by reLINE

http://hol.abime.net/4429

http://amr.abime.net/issue_72_pages (page 11)

From personal experience, i sadly doubt it.

I've lost a lot of material from interviews done on behalf of sites/publications like:

Grumpy Old Gamers/RVG/Classic Console Magazine...which closed or removed content but whilst my stuff was taken down, they had no back-up files.

It was such an obscure reference i didn't bother keeping copy of magazine scan itself.

So many claims in UK Press have lead to utter wild goose chases, just had a reply back in from a coder this afternoon that pours scorn on yet another UK magazine claiming a game started out as something else to what we now know it as.

So much speculation printed as fact, false quotes given etc by UK press over the years.

lostdragon
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby lostdragon » Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:38 pm

Not Rotator.. That was previewed in Feb 91 issue of The One.

christos
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby christos » Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:20 pm

If you think the uk press was bad.. a greek magazine did a full page review of disposable hero on the st. They even commented on the quality of the samples and said the amiga version was very similar. So i add disposable hero on the list and i am looking for any copy.
Felix qui potuit rerum cognoscere causas.
My Atari blog

STOT Email address: stot(NoSPAM)atari(DOT)org

Hazzardus
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby Hazzardus » Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:29 pm

Indy 4 (the SCUMM adventure) on the Amiga wasn't even downgraded from 256 to 32 colours, pretty sure it had only a 24 colour pallete throughout.

And at least we did (sort of) get Indy 4 on ST :D

dlfrsilver
Atari God
Atari God

Postby dlfrsilver » Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:47 am

Indy 4 FOA on Amiga use indeed 32 colors. You can check it with a SCUMM editor.
Now SPS France representative since the 19th of June 2014. Proud to be an SPS member !

Hazzardus
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby Hazzardus » Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:57 pm

dlfrsilver wrote:Indy 4 FOA on Amiga use indeed 32 colors. You can check it with a SCUMM editor.

You are right, sorry I was thinking of another game...

lostdragon
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby lostdragon » Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:58 pm

christos wrote:If you think the uk press was bad.. a greek magazine did a full page review of disposable hero on the st. They even commented on the quality of the samples and said the amiga version was very similar. So i add disposable hero on the list and i am looking for any copy.

Wowza..

Looks like UK Press was sadly in very good company.

I can never take the role of games jurnolist seriously anymore after reading so many false claims have been made.

Many months ago, GTW were looking into C64 Charlie Chaplin (US Gold) and question of the ST version came up, as screens shown in various magazines etc.

C+VG claimed the ST (and CPC) versions were 'Equally as bad' as the ZX Spectrum version they had reviewed..we have yet to see any proof work on the ST version ever progressed beyond a couple of potentially mocked-up screens, so how on earth they claim to of had a playable version is beyond me.

Social Media

Return to “Games - General”